Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Windstar
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2006, 08:15 PM
First Mate

Default NEED WIND SPIRIT REVIEW

Come on now, someone should be able to give some reviews. What do people do on ship after dinner. Fun carribean music? Any dancing?
Passangers mid 50's? Younger or older? I'm looking for fun but wild or not toooo quiet. Where can I get info?
Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Familiar Face

90% of the passengers are 40 to 80 yrs. of age, almost all are wealthy and/or retired, I never saw anyone cruising Windstar as a single, it's all couples. Lots of watersports, they took us waterskiing in Nevis/St. Kitts, scuba diving in St. Maarten, they even let me big-game fish off the ship as we passed St. Lucia!
After a day in Montserrat, they brought an entire calypso band onboard for the night, complete with dancers and steel drums. It was fantastic!
Here's my review - Windstar is simply the ultimate in small-ship cruise lines. Their ships under sail are the most beautiful vessels in the world.
Almost every one of my fellow passengers on Windstar sail exclusively with Windstar. When you find the best, you stick with it. They treat you like royalty and take you to amazing places where big ships can't go.
You'll love them!
Old February 27th, 2006, 03:39 PM
First Mate

Now your talkin' Thanks for the review. I will be sailing in 2007 the BVI and can't wait. I hope to read more reviews. Sounds fantastic
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to shibuitoo

My husband and I and our then-18-year-old daughter cruised Tahiti on Wind Star's ship, the Wind Song (which very unfortunately later was seriously damaged by an engine-room fire and was retired) about 5 years ago. And now, finally, my husband and I are booked on the Wind Star cruise the crew said then was the one they think is the very best: the very cruise you are taking this fall.

The Wind Song was the size of the smaller ships, and my daughter and I really enjoyed the readiness of meeting folks in the more-intimate setting. My husband, who is far from as social, NEVER would go on one of th cattle-car cruises and really enjoyed the small scale of the Wind Star sailling style; he was just as comfortable being the introvert he is.

There was absolutely nothing that was a negative on the cruise, other than I learned not to sit at a slot machine facing across the beam; that was the only time I got at all sea sick. Food was fabulous, staff was delightful and personal, even across some language limitations. My daughter's birthday came during the cruise, and the maitre de set up a large table where all the folks she had come to know during the cruise joined us for birthday dinner, with the waiters singing "Happy Birthday, Dear Sadah" (their Indonesian pronunciation of Sarah) and creating a warm, wonderful memory.

I've read some of the notably rare negatives, and I experienced none of those.

I think one appeal of Wind Star is that, with the smaller size, it truly is relaxing, except for the daily to-do about day trips. It is NOT a floating city, with all that entails; it has the feel of being a guesst on a private yacht. We were really aware of that when we sailed into Moorea on the first day of our trip. Two huge typical cruise liners were "wet docked" there after the post 9-11 bankruptsy of their parent company. They were massive, black (!), with hundreds of porthole windows looking down on us. We felt like we were in a little skiff, deftly making our was beneath their big fat sterns. And the specialness of our cruise was brought home powerfully.

Peace,
Beth Walters