Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Windstar
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Passenger

Default Windstar Caribbean 05 1st timer advaiceExcursions? Tipping?

We are taking our first Windstar cruise this winter in the caribbean. I love the water and grew up having a family boat and have bareboated in the BVI's 15 or more years ago. What a beautiful part of the world. I was hesitant to book this as we are not big-boat cruise people. I can't image anything worse for us than being herded like cattle here and there. And no, I do not care to wear eveing gowns to dinner every night. The more we researched the more intrigued we became about the Windstar mantra.

However, I can't seem to find any info or postings about which shore excursions are recommended. I do read however how many are believed to be a "rip-off"

Secondally, what do you tip and how much really?

Lastly, we have a dilema. We get back at 6 am on Saturday. Do they really make you get off that early? Our flight out of St. Thomas is not till 4 pm. What are we to do? I am told there is no where to store our luggage from Windstar. Are we just to roam around St. THomas wheeling our luggage behind us. I have checked into a hotel but the week we are going in February is the 2nd busiest week on the island and most hotels have 5 night minimums or are $700 a night. What are we to do? Any advice for future 1st timers.

Thanks. B
Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2005, 08:16 PM
alice s

Default Re: Windstar Caribbean 05 1st timer advaiceExcursions? Tippi

We went on New Year's Windsurf cruise in Caribbean. It was great. Have been on Radisson and other large cruise ships. Loved Windstar because of casual atmosphere. Radisson is a notch above in food and "extras" but would definitely go on Windsurf again. Tipping - we tipped our cabin attendant and a few other people that gave us great service - a favorite bartender/waiter, fitness instructor, Spa personnel. The activity's director will talk about tipping on the last night aboard. One disappointment was the water sports platform. Seas were too rough most of the time so they could not use it - then when it was calm - sports platform was not working properly. Was told that it would be "overhauled" by someone coming aboard in mid - January (2005). Hopefully, it is working fine now.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 08:13 PM
Passenger

Default Again?

Well, another post is ruined. How about quitting?