Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 15th, 2001, 02:58 PM
Genie

Default Are Pacific Waters really that rough?

Hello All,
We have friends that live in Oahu and would very much like to take a cruise there BUT everyone I know keeps trying to tell me that the waters of the Pacific are treacherous and very rough! Obviously, this scares me and now I am wondering if this is really the case?
Helene
Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2001, 07:53 PM
bug_dan

Default Re: Are Pacific Waters really that rough?

We've sailed around the Islands twice and one crossing from Hawaii to Ensenada, waters were "calm" or at least calmer than I remembered from a crossing from Japan to Seattle many years ago.

Dan
Old October 17th, 2001, 01:21 PM
Pooh Bear

We did Hawaii to Ensenada in April on Infinity. We were concerned about the condition of the Pacific on the 4 sea days - but we were pleasantly surprised. It was, for the most part, smooth as glass.

Having said that:

It could change at any time. I'd think there is no way of predicting how rough a crossing you would have. We might have just been lucky. Whatever - we'd do it again.

Enjoy.
Pooh Bear
=^-.-^=
Old October 25th, 2001, 11:27 PM
Ardie

This is fall in the Pacific. You can maybe ralate that to rough waters, because of the trade winds.
Old November 6th, 2001, 05:51 PM
Frank Braiden

Spent many years in the SW Pacific and more time than I like to remember steaming between islands. All parts of the Pacific can at times get rough but I would not say that they are treacherous. Indeed the Caribbean has a far worse reputation for sudden unpredictable bad weather.
There is nothing to be scared of (IMHO) I have been in the very worse that the Pacific can throw at you and the only bad thing that happened was that I spilled my Gin & Tonic and had one of the show dancers (female) fall in my lap during a large roll - As to the ship, she was only 30,000 tons.

Go for it, even if it does get a bit rough (not saying that it will) the ships are designed for it and it can be quite exhilarating.

Frank
Old November 6th, 2001, 10:57 PM
Michael & Missy

We just returned last night from the islands to Ensenada. On our experience, the seas were rougher going between the islands than our 4 sea days. However, we experienced extremely high winds while in the islands, therefore, our ship rocked quite a bit, but it didn't stop any of us from having fun. The winds only calmed down a small fraction after we left the islands. On one of our sea days, the ocean looked like glass it was so smooth.

As one of the other posts stated, the oceans can change at any time. Try it, you'll love it!!!!!!!
Old September 13th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Bruce Chafkin

If you are one of those people who "Cruise" in that large lake called the Caribbean, you will probably be shocked on the Pacific Ocean. If you have previously cruised on a real ocean, the Pacific around Hawaii is rarely a problem.