Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 12th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Beginner

Default Cruising South America

Hi.........we are taking our 1st cruise of South America. I've seen alot of posts from people who have done these cruises, and I'm seeking your help. When you arrive in the ports, i.e. Rio De Janario, are things to do within walking distance? For example, the famous Copocabana Beach. If we do not take a tour, can we get there by walking or short taxi ride? Also when we arrive in Bueones Aries, is there things to do around the port? Any help with regards to arriving in ports while on the South American cruise would help. And should we be packing more colder weather clothes like pants and long sleeve tops, for when you go down around the Cape? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2007, 01:51 PM
Familiar Face

Default Range of weather

WE cruised around South America last February and absolutely froze on a walking tour of the Falklands and even on a bus tour in Ushuai. We almost died of the heat in Valpraiso, our point of departure and again in Argentina. We chose to take the ship tours because we were visiting ports we'd probably never see again. Table mates who spoke not a single word of Spanish were quite happy with their taxi tours, though they didn't learn much.

We're from Canada and even our gloves and gortex jackets were not enough for the Falklands. We encountered rough seas -- 45 feet waves as we neared the Str. of Magellan. The pools were frequently netted as the decks were blocked. My advice -- prepare for heat and cold. Ship dress was more tropical than winter for sure. A ship full of optimists.

We were fortunate to have a two week travel adventure on our own pre cruise and another week and a bit post cruise. Of the entire 6 week trip the best part was our time in Peru. My husband has decade old university Spanish so we managed quite well and probably could have done the taxi bit on our own.

Ruth
Old February 21st, 2008, 10:03 PM
Passenger

Rio de Janeiro:
The ships dock quite a distance from Sugar Loaf and Copacabana. I'd recommend either a ship tour or private taxi from the port.

Buenos Aires:
You have to take a bus from the ship to the terminal. The terminal is too far away from downtown to walk. Again, I'd recommend either a ship tour or a private taxi.
Old July 9th, 2009, 09:07 PM
First Mate

Default South America

In Rio you will be in the dowtown area. You can walk from the ship to the downtown but not to the tourist attractions suck as Christ the Redeemer, Sugarloaf, Copacabana Beach. Take a taxi to those areas but be sure and negotiate a price first. We purchased a tour and have been sorry every since. You can do it on your own and save a bundle of cash not to mention being able to do what you want to do when you want to do it. We did not want to hang out long at the beach so we quickly moved on. The trip up to Christ the Redeemer is quite a distance and once again a taxi ride would be appropriate. Some tour companies go directtly to that stop without stopping at other locations and such a ride may be cheaper than a taxi. We took a tour bus that we picked up at the hotel and went directlty to Christ the Redeemer. In Buenos Aires one of the writers has already given good directions. You cannot walk from the ship to the ship's terminal and you will have to ride the bus provided. We took a taxi into town from the terminal however since it was a nice day and the walk not that long we walked from downtown back to the terminal. We could have stayed a lot longer in the downtown areas. Lots to do, lots of nice parks, shopping, cafes, etc. We found South America to be one of the best trips we have ever made. Would like to go back again.
Old September 16th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Cruising South America

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisinggalcanada
Hi.........we are taking our 1st cruise of South America. I've seen alot of posts from people who have done these cruises, and I'm seeking your help. When you arrive in the ports, i.e. Rio De Janario, are things to do within walking distance? For example, the famous Copocabana Beach. If we do not take a tour, can we get there by walking or short taxi ride? Also when we arrive in Bueones Aries, is there things to do around the port? Any help with regards to arriving in ports while on the South American cruise would help. And should we be packing more colder weather clothes like pants and long sleeve tops, for when you go down around the Cape? Thanks
HI, in Rio de Janeiro and in Buenos Aires is better take a private taxi because it isnt too near,, i recommend you visit San Telmo and Puerto Madero in Buenos Aires. In Puerto MAdryn is in Patagonia is a small city but the pier is a little far,,, but there are busses. there a took PUNTA TOMBO tour which we saw nearly 1 million penguins walking among us....
if you need book in advance a can recommend one company ,,,my mail is saida_soto.com.ar