Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 5th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Passenger

Default Visas for Brazil

We just found out that visas are required for Brazil even if you are just there for the day. We found out by chance and was confirmed by our TA.

We are on a Transatlantic next April that stops in Fortaleza for a day, and were quite surprised to learn we needed one. If we hadn't been checking the travel websites we would never been the wiser.
Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2007, 12:42 PM
Familiar Face

Default Yes, visa needed

We visited the falls last year from the Argentinian side and sure did need a visa for just a half day visit. They're talking about a South American 'common market' but visas are carefully checked and passports much stamped.
Old September 2nd, 2007, 12:44 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I'm reposting this from my post on Azamara cruise lines:

With 93 days until my Brasil cruise it's time to get the pictures taken and send in the documentation for our Brasil visas.

Brasil has one of the "more" expensive and interrogating visa applications I've seen. It is even more extensive than China. I have already filled it out and today is photo day and then it's off to the visa service to get it processed.

I decided to use a service rather than going through the consulate. The nearest consulate is Chicago.

The Brasilian visa fee is $100 plus $10 processing fee. The visa service is $50 so the total for two visas will be $320.

It is worth it in the long run.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 21st, 2009, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Default Brazil

Not only do we need a Brazilian Visa for $140.00 each...but we need yellow fever shots otherwise we aren't allowed on the Pacific Princess.
Old January 26th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to scapel
Default Re: Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
Not only do we need a Brazilian Visa for $140.00 each...but we need yellow fever shots otherwise we aren't allowed on the Pacific Princess.
I heard that 150 people were denied boarding on the Mariner of the Seas Jan4, 09 out of FLL because they did not have Brazilian Visas.
If you go to Iguazu and just the Argentina side you do not need the Visa, but I would get it since I have heard that the Brazilian side has much better view. From the videos that I have seen, I would tend to agree. I've been to South America three times and finally went to Iguazu.
I'm not sure if any of these links will help but will post anyhow.

http://www.cruisereport.com/PortsOfCallList.aspx

http://www.seascanner.com/schiffe.php#Royal%20Caribbean
Type sea scanner in address bar (leave out the space between sea and scanner and put the dot com in. Click skip and the it will show you where ships are.

SOUTH AMERICA CAPE HORN CRUISE FEB. 04 Report
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...infinity23.cfm

AMERICAS TRAVEL
marcelo@americastravel.net
Marcello is from Chile but lives in California- Great arrangements

CHILEAN FJORDS AND USHUAIA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwp5SVqsOZs

PUNTA ARENAS & CAPE HORN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av2OxQynmrs

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=1743

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=1744

Valpairaiso to Fort Lauderdale (Panama Canal)
http://www.cruisebuggie.com/modules....content&id=207

PAST CRUISES: 1.Stella Oceanus 1975 South America, 2. Stella Oceanus 1977 Black Sea and Crimean Peninsula. 3. Mermox 1979 Med. Rome,Sicily,and Nice,Malta. 4. SS Freeport to Gulf Mexico. 5.Vistafjord to Caribbean 1981. 6. Sagafjord to Alaska 1983. 7. Stella Solaris to Aegean, Israel and Egypt 1984. 8. Mississippi Queen out of New Orleans. 9. Nantucket Clipper out of Boston 10. Fairsky to Caribbean 1987. 11. Royal Odyssey Med.& Dubrovnik. 12. Carnivalle to Bahamas 1990. 13. Crown Odyssey to Eastern South America 1991. 14.Monarch of the Seas Eastern Caribbean 1995. 15 Royal Odyssey (Old Royal Viking Sea) Panama Canal 1995. 16 Egypt-Nile River Cruise 1996.
17. Splendour of the Seas- Fjords of Norway 1997. 18 Sun Viking –Orient Cruise 1997.
19. Renaissance R-4 Barcelona-Lisbon 1999. 20. Paradise- Caribbean 1999.
21. Millennium to Baltic Capitals 2000. 22. Summit to Caribbean 2001.
23. Constellation –Fjords of Norway 2002. 24.Horizon –Mexico 2003. 25. Infinity to Alaska 2003. 26. Holiday to Mexico 2003. 27. Infinity -South America Cape Horn 2004. 28. Constellation- Transatlantic 2004. 29.Legend of Seas- Western Caribbean 2005.
30. Millennium- Panama Canal 2006. 31. Rhapsody of Seas- Western Caribbean 2006. 32. Constellation- New England/Canada 2006. 33.Millennium-Caribbean 2007. 34.Voyager of the Seas- Caribbean 35.Mercury- South Pacific 2007.
Old February 17th, 2009, 10:42 AM
First Mate

Just got all our shots for the stop in Brazil. The visa is quite expessive. Be sure and check out sevral intenet sites concernign applying for your vise ands fess charged by the various servcie may be different. Also the Brazil vidsa locations in the United Sates process applications by specific area. For example here in Texas the visa application MUST go to Houston. Send it to Chicago and it will be returned. TIP--If you have a AAA top level membership the visa pictures may be free.
Old February 17th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Default Brazilian Visa

Although we live outside of Boston and there is a consulate there it was recommended that we mail our in for an extra $10.00...as they only take 20 people a day to process.. We did and we have them back.. they were $140.00 each.. and you can take pictures at the local pharmacy.. Now for our yellow fever shots
Old February 20th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Beginner

My cruise is from Vaparaiso-Buenos Aries so no visa needed but the after extention tours to Iguazu Falls with the ship or on our own go to both sides of the falls so for 1/2 day at the falls I need a visa.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 11:26 PM
Admiral

Default BIG HINT

Yes, you need the visa..but the expensive part are the shots...CHECK WITH YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY to see if they will pay for "preventative innoculations".. ours is... just probably a co-payment... Just read somewhere else well over 100 people were denied boarding on another cruise ship.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 11:31 PM
Beginner

I will call the travel nurse at my insurance and see if i can get the shots seems like alot for 1/2 day
Old February 23rd, 2009, 11:38 PM
Admiral

Default travel nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemcrusier
I will call the travel nurse at my insurance and see if i can get the shots seems like alot for 1/2 day
From what I have just read there is an outbreak of dengue...and Devils Island requires the shot too..CHECK WITH YOUR CRUISE LINE.. With our papers came a bright orange slip...telling us what we need,,, and that's what we need..
Old March 9th, 2009, 02:52 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama
Default Viosas and Yellow Fever

Yes, you will definately need a visa for Brazil (doesn't matter whether you are there for 2 hours or 2 weeks !!). The visas are good for 5 years, though. You
cannot apply until 90 days prior to your First stop in Brazil - we used "www.Itseasypassport" service out of NYC - had ours back in less than 7
days - other parts of the country are different. Each consulate has it's own
rules/regulations which can be very confusing.

Yes, we were on the RCCL Mariner of the Seas from Jan. 4th to Feb. 3rd and
there were about 50 passengers who were denied boarding in Florida due
to lack of the visa. Had to travel at their own expense to Miami and lose
3 days of their trip before meeting the ship in St. Maarten. I understand
the cost was about $ 1000 per person - OUCH !! (Rumor had it on the ship that RCCL reimbursed these folks for some of the expense - not positive about that).

The question of the Yellow Fever shot is another matter. At the time of our
cruise - there was a stop in Costa Rica and the yellow fever was DEFINATELY required. (If you were getting off the ship). However, many
passengers who did have the shot were never asked to prove it. Also,
check with your local International Travel Clinic for the most up to date
info - when we traveled the shot was a "recommendation but NOT a requirement" - my DH and I are both over 60 years of age and have significant
health issues so we were eligible for an exemption letter from our personal physican.
You are still REQUIRED to get the yellow "international certificate of vaccination" booklet from the travel clinic where the proper area has to be filled
out - again signed and done by your personal physician -

We did get our tetanus updated and our first Hepatits A shots, though.
I am more concerned about the conditions of food handling expecially
traveling out of the country.

Your best source of information is the consulates for each of the countries
you are visiting - DO NOT depend on the cruise line to give the most
update information - it is the passenger's responsibility to obtain all necessary documents and vaccinations before sailing. We found out the
hard way - many calls to RCCL gave us many different answers - and the
cruise line never made mention of the Brazilian visa until TWO WEEKS
prior to sailing. From my own experience - that is not enough time
to get the visas unless you live in the same city as the consulates and even then - they are NOT issued the same day.

Mariner of the Seas - Jan. 2009 Around the Horn B2B - 30 days

Future Floats: Jan. 2011 - Rotterdam - Hawaii/Tahiti - 30 days

The breaths you take are nothing compared to the moments that take your breath away !!