Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 6th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Monarch of The Sea's- Nervous Cruiser!

Hi There!

I have never been on a cruise before and we are scheduled to cruise aboard the Monarch of the Sea's in December to Nassau out of Port Canaveral.

I absolutely hate flying and I'm worried I'm going to hate this too. I am so nervous. Any questions anyone could answer or any insight would be great.

Here goes

How are those waters betewen Orlando and Nassau? Are they rough?
Our room is an inside stateroom towards the front. Is that a bumpy ride?
Are the waters calmer or more rough in the winter?
Will I feel a lot of movement?
In general do you feel pretty safe on cruise ships?
Has anyone taken this route and ship before?

Ok, I know that is a lot. Sorry, just feeling anxious. Cruising for the first time and taking all my babies..

Thanks for any info!

Autumn
Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Admiral

This is why it's so important to book directly with an agent as they can be invaluable in helping you with all the questions and problems with booking a cruise, especially when doing your first cruise.

First, the Monarch of the Seas is a relatively smaller and older ship, and as such has fewer amenities. Plus, because of the age and size, it can sometimes offer a bit more movement than the newer larger ships that have better stabilizers.

Normally, I do not suggest any first-time cruiser select a cabin in the front of the ship. While at the time of year you're cruising, you should not encounter any rough seas, obviously there's not guarantee as Mother Nature can be very unpredictable. If there are any big waves, cabins in the front of the ship will definitely feel more motion than anywhere else on the ship. Which is why I usually advise first-time cruisers to look at cabins in the middle of the ship or at the very least in the back. The middle provides the smoothest ride, but will cost a bit more. Those in the back will cost about the same as those in the front, but sometimes you'll feel vibration of the engines.

If you handle motion well, you might do okay in the front, but keep in mind the motion on a ship is a different type of motion than what you get on small boats.

Nassau is one of those ports that people either love or hate - not too many people come out in the middle of that relationship.

As for safety, you'll be fine. Contrary to some of the reports you may read (the press always like to blow one or two instances out of proportion), cruising is very safe. Yes, you do have to take the normal precautions you would in any place where there are alot of people, but when you figure over 6 million Americans cruise every year, the amount of crime or problems is very minor compared to what you'll find in the average city.

Pete
47 Cruises & Counting! Favorites: Paul Gauguin to Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises in Europe; any of the Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America for 12-nights in the Baltics & Russia; RCCL for 14-night Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America for 14-day Alaska cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days in Hawaii including a 7-night NCL cruise; Oceania for 25 days in Asia; & 3 months touring Europe by train. And many days spent in all-inclusive resorts!
Old November 6th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I wouldn't worry, usually the water in that area is mostly smooth, unless there is some weather there, but normally, it is nice and smooth. You may hear the anchor go up and down from up front and a slight more moving, but I bet you hardly notice it. There are some over the counter remedies for sea sickness, if you'll have that problem, also ginger is good for that.

Just go and have a great time, looking forward to hearing from you when you return from your cruise.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 6th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

How are those waters betewen Orlando and Nassau? Are they rough?
In "general" you will have calmer waters,but, mother nature has control if this...if you get a queasy tummy, there are meds for this

Our room is an inside stateroom towards the front. Is that a bumpy ride?
We had a forward cabin a few cruises back,and had no issues.

Are the waters calmer or more rough in the winter?
I think if you had a storm in the area, before your cruise, you may have a bit of rough seas.

Will I feel a lot of movement?

The ships today have amazing stablizers,and in general.most pasengers donl't have issues.

In general do you feel pretty safe on cruise ships?
I have never felt unsafe onboard..In port, just be aware of your surroundings.

I am a cruiser who really enjoys Nassau...good shopping, Atlantis, nice local crafts,and fine weather....Please enjoy,and let us know how your cruise was, upon your return!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; November 7th, 2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old November 7th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Good tip from Trip,
Be sure to head over to Atlantis and get a tour, worth the time and dollars...You can purchase the tour either through the cruiseline or just go there....You can even spend some extra time there on the beach, etc.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 7th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Admiral

Very good information from everyone. Nice warm weather in Nassau that time of year. Go expecting to have a good time. When you get to Nassau do go to Atlantis. The aquarium is awesome. Be sure to see it. Enjoy.
Old November 7th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Welcome Newcomer

WOW! Thanks everyone so much for the responses! I will definitely let you know how it goes. I am a nervous person by nature so reassurance is always nice

Thanks again
Old November 7th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Familiar Face

you will be fine. i just went on this ship in august and it was nice. i met a friend online that actually got a job on this ship after we met. i live literally less than an hour and work a few minutes away from this port canaveral. Bahamas is nice. do not buy shore excursions from the cruiseline..its very expensive. just get off the boat and do a tour of the city for about $20. u can negotiate the price, trust me i have been on about 6 cruises half of them to the Bahamas. once again relax there is so much to do on the ship u wont worry about all the water.
Old November 8th, 2012, 12:42 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I suggest you make an effort to enjoy the activities and not let any fear get the best of you.

You are spending very little time at sea, so even if you do not like sailing at least you are not doing much of it.

In fact - ships are extremely safe, and fellow cruisers are very friendly. Don't be afraid to talk to people. And if you start to feel nervous look around and see if other people appear nervous (they won't).