Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #31 (permalink)  
Old June 8th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtosh0719 View Post
ya you are exactly right. next time i will worry every minute of the day and not enjoy my cruise. at least i will have kept tabby tab mctabb tabbs on my tab. and no offense but its a mistake that shouldnt have even been made in the first place if you read what exactly happened. how does a transaction get pushed through if nothing had been signed? especially one of that dollar amount. im tired of telling how many times i checked both cruise charges and bank statement (since they put a hold on the account after every charge twice a day) did i fail to mention i checked that often? ill copy and paste it 1000x if need be. Sure i can get upset about it. its not your money so you can easily say well i would have done...fact is they made the mistake, not me. i talked to them on monday and they said it would be done within a week.
Well forgive me for stating the obvious, but yes you SHOULD concern yourself for a few minutes at the end of each day to check your on board account...afterall, it is YOUR money that a cruise line is playing fast & loose with.

A few minutes checking your receipts each night against a print-out from guest services saves you from countless stress once back home when you discover a cock-up in their accounting.

Checking the account on a regular basis is cruise 101 really.
__________________
Next :

Costa Pacifica - Dec 2012
Costa Favolosa - June 2013
Costa Deliziosa - Dec 2013


Past :

1965 - Cunard Queen Mary, 1967 - Cunard Queen Elizabeth, 1970 - Cunard Queen Elizabeth 2, 1971 - P&O Oriana, 1972 - SS France, 1975 - SS Leopard, 1977 - P&O Canberra, 2005 - NCL Jewel, 2005/6 - NCL Crown, 2006 - FOCL Braemar, 2007 - FOCL Braemar, 2007 - FOCL Braemar, 2007 - NCL Gem, 2008 - Costa Allegra, 2010 - Costa Allegra 34 Day B2B, 2011 - Costa Victoria, 2012 - Costa Classica
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old June 8th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Donna's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: on my computer
Posts: 26,395
Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default

Just let us know when the moneys are back in your account....Tks.
__________________

Message Boards Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old June 18th, 2012, 08:54 PM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,636
Default

I admit I haven't read the whole thread but some don't seem to understand how this is done.

The final bill you get isn't final. That's a start. They can and often do post to your account after you leave the ship - there is nothing unusual about that - they do it.

If there is a balance owing when you go to leave the ship when you put your card in the machine it will ding at you and you can't leave. You must go back to the service desk.

If they post after you leave the ship it will show up on your credit card. The only one's they haul back are cash customers because of course, they can't get any money from them once they've left.

The OP is correct all the way and why the rest have berated him is beyond me.
__________________
Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old June 18th, 2012, 08:56 PM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CostaSmurf View Post
Well forgive me for stating the obvious, but yes you SHOULD concern yourself for a few minutes at the end of each day to check your on board account...afterall, it is YOUR money that a cruise line is playing fast & loose with.

A few minutes checking your receipts each night against a print-out from guest services saves you from countless stress once back home when you discover a cock-up in their accounting.

Checking the account on a regular basis is cruise 101 really.

And that doesn't help in the least when they post charges after you leave the ship.
__________________
Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old June 27th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Junior Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 18
Default

Just curious as to what type of "comp" you feel you might be entitled to. You should call your bank and dispute the charge. It appears as if this has gone on for quite some time, and if Royal hasn't resolved it, nip it in the bud with your bank. Did you keep copies of your receipts that you signed? If so, there is the proof you need for your bank that the second charge did not go through. On a side note, it usually takes 10 business days for money to be put back onto a debit card.

Yes, I understand that the money was taken out of your account. Yes, I understand that it was an inconvenience to not have that money there. I totally understand why you are upset, as I would be; but I would have disputed it with my bank if not resolved within a reasonable amount of time. Just not sure what "comp" you are looking for from Royal.
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old June 28th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St. Cloud, Florida
Posts: 1,336
Default

I guess OP's rant is over, likely his "hold" was taken off. He joined in May, made 8 posts only and they were only on this subject.
According to stat section, he never was on line after June 8, his first post was May 31!!
Maybe, just maybe, he'll come back and acknowledge he made a mistake and apologize, but I doubt it.
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old July 1st, 2012, 04:32 PM
Junior Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17
Default

Contact your bank and dispute the charge. They will put it back into your account within a couple of days. They then research it and if you are correct all is well. If the cruise line disputes in back or they are correct they pull the money out again.

I have had to dispute debit card charges with a couple of different banks for my busines and this is the way it has always been handled.
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old July 26th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Junior Member
Welcome Newcomer
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: OHIO
Posts: 9
Default

Just a warning some casinos and ship cruises don't take travel checks any more.
I know my sister in law found that out last summer. So make sure they will cash them.
I don't know why they change policy with the travel checks. My Credit union said
they don't even sell them any more .
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old August 25th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Junior Member
Welcome Newcomer
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6
Default

very interesting info...never had a problem cashing travelers checks on royal caribbean and especially in the casino. Every cruise line has a "before you go" section where monies are discussed and you can always call the cruise line to confirm.
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old November 17th, 2012, 08:03 PM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,636
Default

I'm coming late to this party - I know but I did read this person's posting "OVER THERE" .

This is the reason I never ever pay by credit card. Cash only. If I need to use my cc on the last night or two, I do not give them permission to use it a second time. I have them run it through while I'm there, sign for that amount and note on it there is not to be another charge without pemssion.

They do takr forever refund any amount taken in error. They tak immediately - they return late.

As for the accounts, they have taken to being very slow at providing them. If you leave the ship early, you may not get our account until you go to the desk about 5 am and ask for it. I've seen them not be delivered til 8 am or later. Most people are gone by then.

Cash is king these days or send yourself OBC before you leave home so it already there.
__________________
Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #41 (permalink)  
Old November 18th, 2012, 05:31 AM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 43
Default

Makes me want to go all-inclusive. This does not sound like a holiday to me.
Reply With Quote
  #42 (permalink)  
Old November 18th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St. Cloud, Florida
Posts: 1,336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanW View Post
Makes me want to go all-inclusive. This does not sound like a holiday to me.
Really? Does all inclusive include unlimited casino gambling?

As posted a while back, the OP never came back to the site and admit the extra "charge" was really a "hold" on the card and likely the "hold" was released days after.
Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old November 18th, 2012, 10:01 AM
storybookcruises.com's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 1,435
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlessboss View Post
As posted a while back, the OP never came back to the site and admit the extra "charge" was really a "hold" on the card and likely the "hold" was released days after.
I agree, Ruth. I've been doing this for a long time and over the last 11 years, I've not had anyone have such a problem. In fact, I've had only one client get charged twice for something and we got that solved for her with just one email.

But I do disagree with those who say not to use a credit card. If you use a credit card and have a problem, you can protest the charge and the credit card company can be of great help. I do suggest not using a debit card for the very reason you stated - they often put a hold on money and it can take a while for the hold to disappear. This happens alot with debit cards.

Using cash is not a good thing because then you have to carry large amounts of cash around - always a bad idea.

And traveler's checkes are definitely becoming a thing of the past. Many banks/credit union no longer sell them and more and more places are no longer accepting them. I had a couple left over from a trip a couple of years ago and went to use one at a local store here in Northern Virginia - the cashier had no idea what it was, had never seen one before, and refused to accept it.

It's best to check your onboard account everyday and settle any problems right away while still onboard. Things can happen - nothing is perfect. But the final bill presented to you in your cabin on the last morning, should be your final bill. Anything appears after the fact needs to be checked out and if there's a problem, immediately contact the cruise line - if they can't provide documentation to support the charge, talk to your credit card company right away.

Pete
__________________
Travel Agent/Cruise Specialist w/12 yrs exp and 47 Cruises on 11 cruise lines! Favorites: Paul Gauguin - Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises - Europe; Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America - 12-nights Baltics & Russia; RCCL - 14-nights Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America - 14-day Alaskan cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days Hawaii w/7-night NCL cruise; Oceania - 25 days in Asia; more than 3 months touring Europe by train. And many all-inclusive resorts!
Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old November 18th, 2012, 12:35 PM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise planner View Post
I agree, Ruth. I've been doing this for a long time and over the last 11 years, I've not had anyone have such a problem. In fact, I've had only one client get charged twice for something and we got that solved for her with just one email.

But I do disagree with those who say not to use a credit card. If you use a credit card and have a problem, you can protest the charge and the credit card company can be of great help. I do suggest not using a debit card for the very reason you stated - they often put a hold on money and it can take a while for the hold to disappear. This happens alot with debit cards.

Using cash is not a good thing because then you have to carry large amounts of cash around - always a bad idea.

And traveler's checkes are definitely becoming a thing of the past. Many banks/credit union no longer sell them and more and more places are no longer accepting them. I had a couple left over from a trip a couple of years ago and went to use one at a local store here in Northern Virginia - the cashier had no idea what it was, had never seen one before, and refused to accept it.

It's best to check your onboard account everyday and settle any problems right away while still onboard. Things can happen - nothing is perfect. But the final bill presented to you in your cabin on the last morning, should be your final bill. Anything appears after the fact needs to be checked out and if there's a problem, immediately contact the cruise line - if they can't provide documentation to support the charge, talk to your credit card company right away.

Pete
I disagree with you completely. I will never set up a cc in advance again. As for the holds, they most definitely do hold and it takes them several days, sometimes weeks to release the holds. Therefore, they are charging you twice if only tmporarily. I now council my clients not to put cc down at the beginning and at least wait until they are half way through.

As for travlers cheques, the ships do take them therefore they are an extremely good option.

As a Canadian in particular I find the cruiselines want to charge 3% to convert charges and that is also rubbish. They don't pay attention to what you telll them so the best thing is cash - some before you leave home and the balance onboard.

And as for the bill presented to you in the morning - it is not your last bill. That's why it hasn't actually been applied to your credit card yet.

When I return home I do not want to have to contact the cruiseline because they have charged someething wrong on the last day, nor do I want my clients to be in that position. I want them to come home feeling good and raring to go again not having to worry about final charges on their CC and phantom charges that haven't been dropped yet.
__________________
Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.

Last edited by felix_the_cat; November 18th, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old November 18th, 2012, 12:43 PM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlessboss View Post
Really? Does all inclusive include unlimited casino gambling?

As posted a while back, the OP never came back to the site and admit the extra "charge" was really a "hold" on the card and likely the "hold" was released days after.
Either does a ship offer unlimited casino gambling - you have to pay for it just as you do while at an AI. It's also not open a lot of the time on a ship.

The point is, "released days later" isn't good enough. Either run the days charges thru at the end of the day or wait til the end of the week. Phantom charges are ridiculous.
__________________
Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #46 (permalink)  
Old November 18th, 2012, 12:50 PM
storybookcruises.com's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 1,435
Default

If you use a credit card and something happens, you have the option to dispute the charges and the credit card company will help you. We've traveled all over the world and have been on 43 cruises - we've always used a credit card and have never had any problems. In all that time, I've never had them not release any holds within a day or two, but obviously stuff happens for some people. Plus, we've had thousands of clients use them and never had any problems, with the exception of one person. Chances are problems won't happen.

And I didn't say travelers checks are not accepted onboard ship - I know for a fact they are. I said they are becoming a thing of the past.

And I didn't say the bill you get in the morning will be the final, I said it should be the final, but things happen.
__________________
Travel Agent/Cruise Specialist w/12 yrs exp and 47 Cruises on 11 cruise lines! Favorites: Paul Gauguin - Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises - Europe; Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America - 12-nights Baltics & Russia; RCCL - 14-nights Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America - 14-day Alaskan cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days Hawaii w/7-night NCL cruise; Oceania - 25 days in Asia; more than 3 months touring Europe by train. And many all-inclusive resorts!
Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)  
Old November 18th, 2012, 01:01 PM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise planner View Post
If you use a credit card and something happens, you have the option to dispute the charges and the credit card company will help you. We've traveled all over the world and have been on 43 cruises - we've always used a credit card and have never had any problems. In all that time, I've never had them not release any holds within a day or two, but obviously stuff happens for some people. Plus, we've had thousands of clients use them and never had any problems, with the exception of one person. Chances are problems won't happen.

And I didn't say travelers checks are not accepted onboard ship - I know for a fact they are. I said they are becoming a thing of the past.

And I didn't say the bill you get in the morning will be the final, I said it should be the final, but things happen.
Maybe it should be,, but the fact is it isn't - ever.

I use cc everywhere except onboard a ship. And I too, have more than 40 cruises - did you have a point with that remark?

I have found the cruiselines are getting worse at the onboard errors as time goes on. I don't intend to pay for something then have to argue the point later. They can do the arguing and prove I owe them. If it's cash, they will. Of course, I don't spend much onboard. Never take ships excursions for example. They are a waste of money. We do eat in Specialties but they are easily seen on the bill. We don't gramble and I never buy anything jewellry or "art" onboard.

So, we have grats and whether we pay in cash or onboard account is determined by us late in the cruise, a couple of bevvies and specialty dining.

As for the holds, there are more and more ppl complaining the holds are being released for a least a week. I'm funny I guess, I don't approve of any holds that should be released immeidiately - not down the road whether it is 24 hours or 2 weeks.
__________________
Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old November 18th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlessboss View Post
Really? Does all inclusive include unlimited casino gambling?

As posted a while back, the OP never came back to the site and admit the extra "charge" was really a "hold" on the card and likely the "hold" was released days after.
Obviously not, but I don't gamble so that wouldn't be an issue for me. I just don't see me enjoying saving receipts wherever I go and totting everything up every day to be sure I'm not being ripped off.
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old November 18th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Donna's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: on my computer
Posts: 26,395
Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default

I too would of liked to hear what the final outcome was and how long it actually took to get straightened out. I would assume, all is well, since the OP didn't come back and let us know what had happened, or didn't...
__________________

Message Boards Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)  
Old November 19th, 2012, 03:19 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Palm Coast, Florida
Posts: 19,353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I too would of liked to hear what the final outcome was and how long it actually took to get straightened out. I would assume, all is well, since the OP didn't come back and let us know what had happened, or didn't...

The mystery goes on.

TM
__________________
CRUISES
Century 4/1998
Mercury 4/2000+4/2006+7/2007
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Reply With Quote
  #51 (permalink)  
Old November 19th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St. Cloud, Florida
Posts: 1,336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat View Post
Either does a ship offer unlimited casino gambling - you have to pay for it just as you do while at an AI. It's also not open a lot of the time on a ship.

The point is, "released days later" isn't good enough. Either run the days charges thru at the end of the day or wait til the end of the week. Phantom charges are ridiculous.
So happy you informed me I need to pay for casino gambling. Same for an A1. And what does the fact a ship casino is not open all the time have to do with it?
As for funds on hold, it's not just being held from a ship. I've had funds on hold on all my purchases until they are officially posted to my account. I once had funds on hold from a Hilton hotel, but they actually forgot to remove them. Got charges for my next transaction declined is how I found out.
Reply With Quote
  #52 (permalink)  
Old December 12th, 2012, 12:12 PM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlessboss View Post
So happy you informed me I need to pay for casino gambling. Same for an A1. And what does the fact a ship casino is not open all the time have to do with it?
As for funds on hold, it's not just being held from a ship. I've had funds on hold on all my purchases until they are officially posted to my account. I once had funds on hold from a Hilton hotel, but they actually forgot to remove them. Got charges for my next transaction declined is how I found out.

You prove my point - perfectly - your purchase was declined because of held charges that should have been dropped. Ships do it all the time and so do hotels.
__________________
Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #53 (permalink)  
Old January 5th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Surfguyxxx1's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Palm Bay FL and Princeton NJ
Posts: 665
Default

Wow, that was quite a story. It puts a different perspective on things. I often get my receipts and put them in a drawer which is where they stay for the duration. When I get my "last bill", I look at it but don't "go over it". Lesson learned will be from now on, I will.
I hope things actually did work out for you and that you were actually refunded your $$$$$.
__________________
Horizon-12/03
Empress -10/04
Diamond-02/05
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14

Booked:Freedom OTS 10/14
Booked:Solstice Alaska; 09/15


Last edited by Surfguyxxx1; January 5th, 2013 at 07:35 AM. Reason: mispelled words
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
account, amount, caribbean, charge, charged, charges, charging, cruise, fees, find, pending, port, rci, royal, seapass

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guilty as charged? Trip Chit - Chat for Cruisers 7 July 20th, 2011 05:09 PM
Auto Tip When are we charged? Kellyd13 Tipping 5 February 8th, 2008 03:54 PM
Just got my edocs and RCI charged me $209 more than TA quote kahliasmom Royal Caribbean International 10 March 5th, 2004 10:31 PM
charged after cruise! steve32 Carnival Cruise Lines 1 January 8th, 2004 08:08 AM
EXTRA!EXTRA! Wild Woman Spotted! les Chit - Chat for Cruisers 5 November 12th, 2002 10:31 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:20 AM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1