Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Familiar Face

Default Late August Alaska weather

After many cuises to the Caribbean we are taking our first Alaska cruise.I was raised in Seattle so I have a idea but I want to check. Sailing Aug 29
for a week. Will a sweater and lite pullover be enough? Also any reports on the Golden Princess now thats its been overhauled? Plus whats the going rate for a taxi from ship to SEATAC airport?
Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2009, 06:07 PM
First Mate

Looking forward to your responses. I'm also on the same ship for that date.

Old July 26th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Passenger

We are also on this sailing as well! Hope you find this info I dug up helpful!

SEATTLE: I live in Seattle (grew up in Anchorage) and we are in the throes of an El Nino summer which, for us, means dry and hotter than usual (it's going to be in the 90s all week). I am wondering if that will affect the weather in Alaska since I can't find any data around El Nino in AK. However, for your embarkation, late August/early September is still a warm time in general for Seattle with 70s - 80s not uncommon.

JUNEAU: In general, you should expect high 50s-low 60s for the high in Juneau. It can get down into the mid 40s at night. Rainfall can be from 6-7" per month at this time of year.

SKAGWAY: Skagway should be upper 50s-mid 60s with mid-upper 40s at night. They get from 2-4" of rain per month at this time of the year.

KETCHIKAN: Ketchikan should be 60-65 in late Aug/early September with an average of 50 at night. Rainfall averages 10-13" this time of year so prepare for wet.

VICTORIA: Victoria should be mid-upper 60s with little rain (.5-1").

What you should pack sort of depends where you are from and how acclimated you are to mild-cool weather. These temperatures are pretty close to an average late spring for us in Seattle so I am basing my packing around that. Native Alaskans will be in shorts and t-shirts. But, if you are from a warmer climate, temperatures might seem positively frigid to you requiring warmer gear. Everyone should definitely prepare for rain.

Also, tailor your clothing to the excursions you are planning. Obviously, walking around town isn't going to require anything special, but if you are going out on a boat for fishing or whale watching, or hiking on one of the glaciers it will get chilly. Also, if you are going anywhere forested (hiking, fishing, biking) I have one word for you - mosquitoes. Wear long pants, long sleeves, socks and bring the repellent.

Cabs from SeaTac to downtown Seattle are $30-35 (before tip). I haven't checked to see which terminal the ship leaves from, however. If it's from the downtown pier, it should cost about that to get to the pier. If it's the terminal a little further north, it will be a bit more expensive, but not too much.
Old July 26th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks Cruuuzer for the info. Yes I remember growing up in Lynnwood, just north of Seattle and getting by with just a windbreaker for most of the year. Heck we used to ride our bikes and swim in the sound. If I tried that now I'd probaly die. Not doing any of the shore excursions so we will probaly just take a sweater or two and a light jacket. Also our info shows the ship going out of pier 91. I forget if that is the north one or not.
Old July 27th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Passenger

Ah, that's the new pier in the Magnolia area. So yes, this pier will probably cost I am guessing five dollars or so more than just the general downtown Seattle area will by taxi.
Old October 28th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Beginner

how was the weather on your trip in late august? we're trying to decide on Aug 9 (for a premium) and Aug 23.
Old October 29th, 2009, 07:55 PM
First Mate

Default got lucky?

I think I got lucky. I had great weather. T shirts and shorts would good for port weather. Wonderful weather in Glacier Bay and College Fjord. Clear, sunny skies.

The outdoor pools are heated as well as the indoors.

I encountered rain showers while in Fairbanks and Trapper Creek. My glacier excursions were about 48 degrees in the clouds.

On the ship I came across other passengers who did a back to back, they said it rained every day for two weeks straight. It is probably not appropriate for me to comment on what others told me.

My suggestion is Realize Alaska has changing weather, and, if you are prepared for anything, you will be extremely pleased when then sun pops out. Bring layered clothing with a breathable raincoat. A backpack in port helps stow lightweight layers as things get warmer.

Please do not let weather deter you from exploring this wonderous, extraordinary place.