Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 6th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Beginner

Default High cost of NCL taxes and government fees

I'm looking to book my first cruise, and I'd like to sail on Norwegian; however, I've noticed that the cruise line has considerably higher taxes and government fees. Does anyone know why? It almost looks like some sort of a scam to get you to pay more. I've looked at similar destinations, all going out of the same ports, and here's the thing: Norwegian's taxes and fees are always higher, sometimes two or three times as much. More expensive cruises on other lines often wind up being cheaper because their taxes and fess are so much less. Is there something else included in the taxes and fees that I'm not understanding?
Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Passenger

Hi I did some checking after reading your post and found that in some cases NCL was higher and that in some cases it wasn't. The cruises all cost the same for 7 days
but were leaving from different ports and were going to different ports. The cost at
each port varies by state and country you call in, so it could be that the taxes and
port charges are differnent there fore you cruse cost will be differnent and it may have to do with the web site you use also. Just my thought not saying I'm right,
some long time cruisers or TAs may be able to clarify it better.
Old October 7th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

I noticed a big difference in prices too- if I compare a cruise from NY on either NCL or RCCL the price is almost the same, but on NCL the taxes and fees are $187.36 and on RCCL it is $87.31....
Old October 15th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Captain

Just a question, but are both of those NY cruises leaving from the same port in NY?
Old October 15th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Blossom View Post
Just a question, but are both of those NY cruises leaving from the same port in NY?
No, RCCL leaves from Port Liberty and NCL Gem from Manhattan. Is that the reason for the diffierence ?
Old October 30th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Ncl high taxes

Yes It seems like Ncl is the government cruise line of fees. Keep in mind also that there tipping policy is $12.00 per day and you cannot adjust it off your bill for any reason. If you get awful service you will still pay for it. I cruised with Ncl twice. On the Pearl and the Dawn. They were two of the best cruises I had every been on (out of 15 cruises) not the greatest service but o.k. but when they raised there taxes, fees, and tips. I went back to the big Carnival Ships. This winter last minute (3 or 4 days before sailing) 7 days on Liberty, Glory, Valor and 6 days on Freedom
$249 - $279 per person now thru Christmas. Just don't book holidays. I figured out 7 days on the Ncl Pearl at the price right now at $299 with all taxes fees, tip and parking is almost $1200. With Carnival $850 -$900. Happy cruising, Ed
Old November 11th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I often adjust my tips on ships and NCL always allows me to with no hassle. Did it last month after a great cruise on the Jewel. R
Old November 14th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Admiral

ok, this might surprise all of you but the cruise line has nothing to do with taxes and port charges. They are determined by the gorvernment. Two cruise lines can have almost identical itineraries and the charges will be diffferent even if one port or the embarkation port is different. The port charges are set by the port authority as I mentioned. That is one reason cruising the Panama canal and Alaska can be high, the port charges and taxes are both out of the ordinary.

Now, as for the tips and gratuities, please don't even get me started.

Nita
Old October 3rd, 2012, 01:55 PM
Welcome Newcomer

We just booked for a Feb cruise out of N.Y.on NCL and the taxes and port fees are over 300.00 a person, the port is Nassau and orlando and there island. this sure seems high for any cruise, we took one last year and same ports and it was 238.00 total.
Old November 24th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Yes, I think NCL must include more items in that bucket then other cruise lines. They always seemed a little high to me, and I just checked 2 December cruises. They both leave out of Manhattan. THe NCL one charges $283.10 for taxes and fees, and it goes to Port Canaveral, Nassau, and their Private Island. Carnival charges 270, and it goes to Port Canaveral, Nassau, and Freeport. I can't imagine there being any Port Fees or Taxes for the NCL Private Island, but NCL is still charging $13.10 more, even without going to Freeport.
Old November 25th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Familiar Face

my recollection is: that different [sized] ships have different port and/or passage fees (in the case of panama and/or suez canals) ... it's probably the same (by gross tonnage maybe??).

anyhow, those things could account for some disparity, as could whether the amount quoted includes gratuitous gratuities, and the 'stuff' cruiselines tack-on as 'services'.

might be a good idea to ask either your t/a or the cruiseline, to give you a breakdown of charges. seems like you're entitled to know what you're paying for. right?

s/f

vr/chandler
SoCalGringo@gmail.com
Old December 26th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Familiar Face

My guess is the fees for larger ships might make the cost lower, when divided by the number of passengers. In any case, NCL's taxes/fess quoted do NOT include the $12 per person per day gratuities.