CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   New England / Canada (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/new-england-canada/)
-   -   I'd like to go to Canada... (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/new-england-canada/391136-id-like-go-canada.html)

BigMac August 7th, 2012 03:41 PM

I'd like to go to Canada...

but I do not believe I can go untill I have been cleared bt the Canadian government.

When I was a young man, I got myself into a little trouble. I am not a felon but CA has some restrictions that concern me.
I have two misdamenor charges one is a 13+ year old DUI and the other is a discharging a weapon on the beach which is even older.

My own government has not held these old charges against me. I am in fact a firearms dealer and have to maintain a very clean record or risk loosing my license. I am afraid if I travel to CA I may be turned around at the border checkpoint (airport). I won't even check the ticket price untill I know I am cleared.

I want to make sure I have this behind me but I cannot seem to get the CA consolate to acknowledge my emails requests for information.

I really only want to cruise out of Vancouver.

Would any of our Canadian members have any sugestions?
Any Americans here ever need to get a pass from the Canadian gonvernment?

Thanks

Kuki August 7th, 2012 04:54 PM

Rather than attempting to get info from a consulate, I'd attempt to go to the "horse's mouth".... Canadian Border Security Agency

Non-Canadians

Paul Motter August 7th, 2012 04:55 PM

IU would like to answer you, but I have no idea. I sent this on to a fee Canadians I know.

BigMac August 7th, 2012 06:56 PM

Thanks!!
I just emailed border security my question.

I know I can apply for rehabilitation. I looked over the paperwork and wouldn't even know where to begin filling those out. If I don't have to I don't want to.

I like to tell my daughter about this kind of stuff. I want it to be clear to her your choices in life follow you around. She's the person pushing me to get this cleared up ;)

Snoozeman August 7th, 2012 08:54 PM

Hmmmmmmmm.....I don't think you have a problem. I'm pretty sure I have done much worse and I've been to Canada many many times. Even taking firearms across the border a few times. I doubt they would have extended me 'honors' if there were problems with things 'way back' in my past.

Just do it!

BigMac August 8th, 2012 09:45 AM

I suspect your right snoozeman I just need to be sure. It sure is alot of money to fly into Vancouver knowing they might turn you away.

BigMac August 10th, 2012 06:34 PM

Border security wouldn't say one way or the other.

They sent me a link to their page I already read. The page says what can keep you out but does not really provide details.

They all tell me a DUI is very seriose. OK big deal is seriose here too. How long is the prohibition? They don't say. I was hoping for a more solid answer, but I guess al government is the same.

I think they want the money.

Kamloops Cruiser August 10th, 2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMac (Post 1441436)
but I do not believe I can go untill I have been cleared bt the Canadian government.

When I was a young man, I got myself into a little trouble. I am not a felon but CA has some restrictions that concern me.
I have two misdamenor charges one is a 13+ year old DUI and the other is a discharging a weapon on the beach which is even older.

My own government has not held these old charges against me. I am in fact a firearms dealer and have to maintain a very clean record or risk loosing my license. I am afraid if I travel to CA I may be turned around at the border checkpoint (airport). I won't even check the ticket price untill I know I am cleared.

I want to make sure I have this behind me but I cannot seem to get the CA consolate to acknowledge my emails requests for information.

I really only want to cruise out of Vancouver.

Would any of our Canadian members have any sugestions?
Any Americans here ever need to get a pass from the Canadian gonvernment?

Thanks

Can you get a pardon for the offenses that occurred when you are a minor?
Because you where a minor your records are probably sealed meaning that Canada or anyone can use them .
If you can get a US Passport (required for cruises from Vancouver) then you probably won't have a problem.

BigMac August 10th, 2012 07:56 PM

I was a young man but I was no minor.

I have a passport and travel regularly. The Canadian's don't seem to agree with your sentiment though.
My wifes cousin was denied entry for tagging. He had a passport. They turned him around and put him back on a plane.

I think I will just apply for rehabilitated status and pay the darn fee.
The biggest problem with that is I can't tell them exactly when this stuff happend. It's all so old the details are fuzzy.