Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > New England / Canada
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default I'd like to go to Canada...

but I do not believe I can go untill I have been cleared bt the Canadian government.

When I was a young man, I got myself into a little trouble. I am not a felon but CA has some restrictions that concern me.
I have two misdamenor charges one is a 13+ year old DUI and the other is a discharging a weapon on the beach which is even older.

My own government has not held these old charges against me. I am in fact a firearms dealer and have to maintain a very clean record or risk loosing my license. I am afraid if I travel to CA I may be turned around at the border checkpoint (airport). I won't even check the ticket price untill I know I am cleared.

I want to make sure I have this behind me but I cannot seem to get the CA consolate to acknowledge my emails requests for information.

I really only want to cruise out of Vancouver.

Would any of our Canadian members have any sugestions?
Any Americans here ever need to get a pass from the Canadian gonvernment?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Rather than attempting to get info from a consulate, I'd attempt to go to the "horse's mouth".... Canadian Border Security Agency

Non-Canadians
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 7th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

IU would like to answer you, but I have no idea. I sent this on to a fee Canadians I know.
Old August 7th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks!!
I just emailed border security my question.

I know I can apply for rehabilitation. I looked over the paperwork and wouldn't even know where to begin filling those out. If I don't have to I don't want to.

I like to tell my daughter about this kind of stuff. I want it to be clear to her your choices in life follow you around. She's the person pushing me to get this cleared up

Old August 7th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Hmmmmmmmm.....I don't think you have a problem. I'm pretty sure I have done much worse and I've been to Canada many many times. Even taking firearms across the border a few times. I doubt they would have extended me 'honors' if there were problems with things 'way back' in my past.

Just do it!

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old August 8th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

I suspect your right snoozeman I just need to be sure. It sure is alot of money to fly into Vancouver knowing they might turn you away.

Old August 10th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Border security wouldn't say one way or the other.

They sent me a link to their page I already read. The page says what can keep you out but does not really provide details.

They all tell me a DUI is very seriose. OK big deal is seriose here too. How long is the prohibition? They don't say. I was hoping for a more solid answer, but I guess al government is the same.

I think they want the money.

Old August 10th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
but I do not believe I can go untill I have been cleared bt the Canadian government.

When I was a young man, I got myself into a little trouble. I am not a felon but CA has some restrictions that concern me.
I have two misdamenor charges one is a 13+ year old DUI and the other is a discharging a weapon on the beach which is even older.

My own government has not held these old charges against me. I am in fact a firearms dealer and have to maintain a very clean record or risk loosing my license. I am afraid if I travel to CA I may be turned around at the border checkpoint (airport). I won't even check the ticket price untill I know I am cleared.

I want to make sure I have this behind me but I cannot seem to get the CA consolate to acknowledge my emails requests for information.

I really only want to cruise out of Vancouver.

Would any of our Canadian members have any sugestions?
Any Americans here ever need to get a pass from the Canadian gonvernment?

Thanks
Can you get a pardon for the offenses that occurred when you are a minor?
Because you where a minor your records are probably sealed meaning that Canada or anyone can use them .
If you can get a US Passport (required for cruises from Vancouver) then you probably won't have a problem.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old August 10th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was a young man but I was no minor.

I have a passport and travel regularly. The Canadian's don't seem to agree with your sentiment though.
My wifes cousin was denied entry for tagging. He had a passport. They turned him around and put him back on a plane.

I think I will just apply for rehabilitated status and pay the darn fee.
The biggest problem with that is I can't tell them exactly when this stuff happend. It's all so old the details are fuzzy.