Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Hurricane Watch
Register Forgot Password?

Hurricane Watch Keep up to date on the latest Weather conditions

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 24th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Hurricane Sandy

Sandy is a very late season hurricane for 2012 (as you can tell by the name) but watchers are saying she should become one of the worst storms ever.

One thing is certain - cruises leaving Florida the weekend of the October 27-29 could have a very rough ride, with most of the action hitting the coast on Friday and early Saturday.

Port Canaveral cruises heading south towards the Caribbean or Bahamas will have a challenge all weekend, but particularly those leaving on Sunday.

Furthermore, as Sandy heads north it could hit the Northeast states of New York and Boston in a big way as well.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sandy-hurricane.jpg (57.0 KB, 113 views)
Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Familiar Face

This has been a fear of mine Paul since i booked. I get very seasick on small boats, but have never done a cruise. I did get the patches this week and now plan to use them.

With the storm making the waters rough, any chance they they will reverse the islands so instead of labadee, jamica and cozumel could they possibly start is cozumel and work backwards?

Kerry
Old October 24th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

They will definitely try to avoid any very rough seas by changing itineraries, but I cannot guarantee they will have a smooth ride just by doing that.

What ship are you on?

Now - take heart that ships are NOTHING like small boats. I also get sick on small boats but I cruise all the time.

I see a lot of people using the patches and they seem to tolerate them well. I have never tried them.

An alternative is Bonine (Meclizine) - which is an over-the-counter medicine for seasickness. Dramamine 24-hour formula should be the same (but not regular Dramamine).
Old October 24th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Familiar Face

I am on Oasis, I know it's a huge ship and am just praying I don't get sick. I am also slightly concerned about flying into ft lauderdale friday morning. I hope southwest will fly into 35 mi per hour winds which is what they are predicting. Was considering flying in Thursday night and changing my flight but I think I am going to sit tight and see what happens. I appreciate your help Paul. I have crappy luck, could have predicted this storm.

kerry
Old October 24th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I have been on Oasis and it is the most stable ship I have ever encountered.

I really encourage you not to think too much about getting seasick - I don't think Oasis will rock very much - that ship is a rock. I was on for a week and didn't even feel it move.

Secondly - and this is hard to fight but it is well understood by those of us who cruise a lot - the motion of the ocean is no worse than a flight or a car trip, so a lot of the feeling is caused by you focusing on it. Most regular cruisers are at the point where they don't think about the motion and the don't get sick. We know ships move, but it doesn't translate to feeling seasick.

Trust your medication and the fact that you are on a very big ship and you will be fine. I have crossed the North Sea on ships that are .02 the size of Oasis and the medication I took was enough to keep me from getting seasick. I know you will be fine.
Old October 24th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Admiral

I have been on the Oasis as well and it really is a very solid ship.

In april 2013 I will sailing on the Oasis for the second time.

Think positive and you will be fine, by the time you get on the ship, Sandy will be further to the north, so it may not be much of an issue as far as your cruise is concerned.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old October 24th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Familiar Face

I just love all of you guys on here!! Thank you Manuel and Paul for your insight and yes I agree, don't focus on it. I totally intend to follow your advice totally and can not wait for my first cruise. I will check in when I return! Thank you again.

kerry
Old October 24th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Admiral

Do let us know how you enjoyed your cruise.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!