Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Hotels
Register Forgot Password?

Hotels Recommendations for the best places to stay pre/post cruise.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 31st, 2012, 10:03 AM
Captain

Default Help me to find NYNY hotel

I have posted a similar thread elsewhere but after some research I really need some help.

We will be cruising out of the Manhattan Terminal and would like to spend some time around that area. We are hoping to visit Birdland and maybe Central Park. Here are my questions.

Are there any good hotels in that area that are under $300???

The distances are not great, can the wife and I walk from CP to where Birdland is located, would that be safe? What about after dark?
Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2012, 10:44 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdude View Post
I have posted a similar thread elsewhere but after some research I really need some help.

We will be cruising out of the Manhattan Terminal and would like to spend some time around that area. We are hoping to visit Birdland and maybe Central Park. Here are my questions.

The distances are not great, can the wife and I walk from CP to where Birdland is located, would that be safe? What about after dark?

It depends on your dates, how "nice" of a hotel you want and where you want to be. I would first book a cancellable reservation at a hotel then I would advocate using Priceline and bidding on a four star in Central Park South, Mid-town and/or Times Square districts about a week before your cruise. You should be able to pick up something decent for under $200. If you get a hotel, cancel the one you have booked and enjoy.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 31st, 2012, 12:38 PM
Admiral

Default NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdude View Post

I have lived in NY all my life . Birdland is 15 blocks from CP .

My suggestion is that you check out NYCGO.com
(212) 484-1200

This is the NYC Dept.of Tourism
Old September 1st, 2012, 12:01 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
It depends on your dates, how "nice" of a hotel you want and where you want to be. I would first book a cancellable reservation at a hotel then I would advocate using Priceline and bidding on a four star in Central Park South, Mid-town and/or Times Square districts about a week before your cruise. You should be able to pick up something decent for under $200. If you get a hotel, cancel the one you have booked and enjoy.

Take care,
Mike
That is a really good idea. I think we will try that.
Old September 1st, 2012, 03:05 PM
Captain

With much research the lowest prices I could find in Manhattan was $99/night in the occasional special, instead if I do go I'm considering airbnb. Share someone's apartment for 40-60/night, or rent the whole apartment for 80+. Instead of 1 night for $300, stay 3 or 4 and enjoy the city

11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries

Next cruise: None scheduled
PM me if you need a cruisemate for any Europe, transatlantic, or Panama Canal cruises
Date, ship, cost pp