Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Passenger

Default Last Minute Tips???

Hey all,

We are headed out in one week on our first HAL cruise. We are going on the Westerdam's Eastern Caribbean 7 Day Cruise. Anyone have any last minute tips or suggestions for our cruise? Much appreciated.

Chuck and Saori
Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

I would book the spa/pool area for the week. After you board and have lunch go to the spa and book it. It will be worth it. Let the grandfolks watch the child for awhile and enjoy some alone time in the hot pool and the heated ceramic lounges. This will totally relax you and the peace is priceless. My wife and I do this and it is a highlight of our cruise experience. Go ahead splurge alittle it is worth it. The experience is so rejuvenating. I think the cost is $250.00. It is alot of money,but so worth it. Have a wonderful time and let nothing spoil it.......MD
Old March 14th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain dog
I would book the spa/pool area for the week. After you board and have lunch go to the spa and book it. It will be worth it. Let the grandfolks watch the child for awhile and enjoy some alone time in the hot pool and the heated ceramic lounges. This will totally relax you and the peace is priceless. My wife and I do this and it is a highlight of our cruise experience. Go ahead splurge alittle it is worth it. The experience is so rejuvenating. I think the cost is $250.00. It is alot of money,but so worth it. Have a wonderful time and let nothing spoil it.......MD

I have severe back problems and my doctor suggested I try the hydrotherapy pool, so I booked as soon as I got on board for the week.

I am the opposite to mountain dog - I did not like it - thought I was going to drown in the pool - the pressure of the water was too much for me. Then when I tried to get onto the rods at the side of the pool, I hurt my back and had to get out of the pool. I then went to the heated ceramic lounges and nearly fell off trying to get on the table. That was it for me - my back was worse. Fortunately the manager at the spa was very nice and returned my money.

Personally I would try it for a day and if you enjoy it, then book for the week.

Enjoy your cruise.
Old March 18th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Don't try to do "everything". Leave a bit of time for relaxing. Have one dinner in the Pinnacle. Take more money and fewer clothes. You will overpack.

Have a wonderful cruise!!!
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 19th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Passenger

Assuming you are going to St. Thomas bring $$$$$ for the jewelry stores!
Old March 20th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Passenger

My wife loves the hydro spa but I can take it or leave it. I have used it after a massage but I would not pay what they charge for it. It is just one of those things that is up to your personal preference. I'd give it a try before buying a cruise long package.

General cruising tips:

Bring a nightlight for the bathroom.

We like to put a colorfull picture or poster on our door. It makes finding your room a bit easier.

If you drink, Hollandd America does allow you to bring wine onboard. A bottle is nice to have on the balcony during sail away. Box wine packs easily and my wife likes to have a glass while getting ready for dinner.

I like to bring an insulated travel mug. Usually I get up first thing and walk up to the buffet and bring a cup of coffee back to the room and sit on the balcony or go for a walk around deck. The travel mug holds more, keeps it hot longer and does not spill on the walk back to the cabin.

Leave some extra space in your suitcase or pack an empty duffel bag to bring home souvaniers.

Must have items: bathing suit, sunscreen, sunglasses, lightweight raincoat, light sweater/sweatshirt for sometimes cold theaters onboard.

If there is no coffee, orange juice or if they are out of mugs or glasses at the buffet walk around to the other stations. Sometimes one station is out of something while the other has it.
Old March 20th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Bring a nightlight for the bathroom.
Where do you plug this in? The only plug I have ever seen in any of the bathrooms is for a man's shaver.
Old March 20th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Beginner

I think my family and I are going on the same cruise. When and where does it leave from? What ports does it visit. Ours leaves out of fort lauderdale on April 12.