Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Flying To Your Cruise
Register Forgot Password?

Flying To Your Cruise Discuss all AIRLINE-related topics here - advice on flight times, new airline rules, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 15th, 2012, 12:25 AM
Captain

Default One way twice the price of roundtrip?

I was looking to repo to Europe and checking for a return from Venice or Rome in February and the one way flight is 1600+ to dallas, if I book round trip it's 840? WTF?

Is this common? Any issues if I book round trip but don't take the outbound flight? Any tips to find a cheaper 1 way?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2012, 12:59 AM
Admiral

Yeah it's common. It sucks, but it's common. A lot of people buy the return and ditch the second part of the ticket. There are some decent airlines that have ok one way prices...Icelandair, Air Berlin, Air New Zealand...no idea out of Texas though. I'd also check cruise air, they're pretty good for one ways

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old June 15th, 2012, 01:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

You might check further. Some airlines do offer equal leg pricing on one ways and returns.

If you book a return ticket, and don't use the 1st portion, the second returning flight is automatically cancelled.

So... if you find yourself HAVING to buy a return ticket, buy it with the first leg being the one you want to use. No reprocussions if you miss the last flight.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old June 15th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Welcome Newcomer

It is quite a common occurence. Certainly in the UK most forms of transport are cheaper if you book a return. Trains are the same too. I think its to do with the fact that the majority of people tend to go in both directions with the same method of transport.
Old June 15th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Admiral

When you are booking a one way the airlines seem to think you have less choice so they stick it to you.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old June 15th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
You might check further. Some airlines do offer equal leg pricing on one ways and returns.

If you book a return ticket, and don't use the 1st portion, the second returning flight is automatically canceled.

So... if you find yourself HAVING to buy a return ticket, buy it with the first leg being the one you want to use. No repercussions if you miss the last flight.
Kuki is correct. Doctor's prefer his answers two to one.

If the first leg of any round trip ticket is not used then the whole ticket is canceled and you don't get a refund. If you try to use the return portion of the ticket you will have a bad surprise.

Book the round trip as Venice to Dallas/Dallas to Venice and just don't use the return. Make up some arbitrary date for the return or plug in some return dates and see what gives you the cheapest flight. Flying on Tuesday and Wednesday is "usually" less expensive.

Unless you need to get out of the country after you get home.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 15th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

If RCL, try choiceAir. I just booked a one way from Raleigh to Barcelona for this fall @ $450.50. It leaves RDU in early afternoon on Delta going thru Atlanta to Barcelona. I could not have gotten a better time, route or price on my own. Also since booking thru RCL, they are more apt to helping me if anything goes wrong.

O F C'er
Old June 16th, 2012, 01:35 AM
Captain

When I went to europe last year I asked about cruise air, the lady laughed and said she didn't want to tell me what the quote was because it was ridiculous.

Can't hurt to ask though
Old June 16th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFartCruiser View Post
If RCL, try choiceAir. I just booked a one way from Raleigh to Barcelona for this fall @ $450.50. It leaves RDU in early afternoon on Delta going through Atlanta to Barcelona. I could not have gotten a better time, route or price on my own. Also since booking through RCL, they are more apt to helping me if anything goes wrong.

O F C'er
On International and open jaw flights for cruises it is always a good idea to check the cruise air price. It can be better than what you can get on your own. I haven't seen less expensive cruise air on domestic flights in a long, long time.

I always, and recommend everyone else does too, check both the cruise air price and the "buy direct" price for airfare. You can add cruise air after you've booked and made your deposit.

You also have to wait around 13 months before your cruise sailing date before any air can be booked. So if you like to book well ahead you just have to wait to find out the air price. Often, the high cost of air travel, will result in a cruise cancellation.

Alas, cruise air for my upcoming trip was not an option since I wasn't coming back for six weeks after the cruise.

One thing to note: "Choice Air" is can be a good thing but it does have a fee. A small one. I believe it's $35. Choice Air is not standard cruise air. With Choice Air you actually get what you think you are getting with cruise air. They will assist you if you have problems and will get you to the next port if you miss the port of embarkation due to airline problems. With regular cruise air they only act as an agent of the airline. While the cruise lines often help out if there are problems they are under absolutely no obligation to do anything.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old June 17th, 2012, 12:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
One thing to note: "Choice Air" is can be a good thing but it does have a fee. A small one. I believe it's $35.
Take care,
Mike
Mike I was surprised with your statement there is a small fee w/ChoiceAir. I was quoted on the phone, $450.50 for each ticket. I just checked my credit card online and was charged $901. There was no fee.

You usually have good info, so I checked the RCL website. You are right regarding a fee, but also it is correct that I should not be charged a fee.

Statement from website:
The ChoiceAir Plus fee is waived once per reservation for Platinum, Emerald, Diamond and Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club Crown & Anchor Society Members

O F C'er
Old June 17th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFartCruiser View Post
Mike I was surprised with your statement there is a small fee w/ChoiceAir. I was quoted on the phone, $450.50 for each ticket. I just checked my credit card online and was charged $901. There was no fee.

You usually have good info, so I checked the RCL website. You are right regarding a fee, but also it is correct that I should not be charged a fee.

Statement from website:
The ChoiceAir Plus fee is waived once per reservation for Platinum, Emerald, Diamond and Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club Crown & Anchor Society Members

O F C'er
OF C'er

I knew that it was waived for Platinum and higher and I should have stated that but most cruisers are not Platinum so the fee will apply to them.

Take care,
Mike