Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Flying To Your Cruise
Register Forgot Password?

Flying To Your Cruise Discuss all AIRLINE-related topics here - advice on flight times, new airline rules, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 18th, 2012, 06:32 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to KellyKayden
Default taking a train?

Ok, I know this is a 'flying' area, but has anyone ever done a train to their cruise? I would like to take a train and cruise from new york, but just didn't know how convenient this would be. Any advise?

"A painter paints pictures on a canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence"

Leopold Stokowski
Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I know someone who did it on the east coast corridor,and she also drove from Florida to Louisiana, to pick up a ship, but, I am not familiar with the rail system in your area, to NYC. I know a a sleeper is the best way for a long ride, and, it made the long trip more comfy for the east coast run...She also told me, it was a friendly way to meet lots of people.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 18th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Admiral

We met people on a cruise in 2010 . They live in Virginia and when they cruise from NU or NJ they always travel from home by train .
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:44 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to KellyKayden

I've always wanted to travel by train, seems like a good time try it!

"A painter paints pictures on a canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence"

Leopold Stokowski
Old May 21st, 2012, 03:00 PM
Admiral

I hate to fly and so we've taken the train (Amtrak) several times to our cruise port. We've always gotten a sleeper...but there are some caveats. Try not to get a sleeper over the wheels! You'll feel the trains rocking movements more. Meals are usually included with a Sleeper and are not bad...but be SURE your Car Attendant doesn't forget you, or for breakfast you will wined up with one slice of bacon, an egg and maybe no toast.

In the Sleeper there is also a toilet/shower that is nice because it's private. The Attendant's also supply some nice toilet amenities. There is a shared 'car' toilet and 'car' shower for the smaller sleepers. Not bad, except it's not as convenient if you have to go and someone else is in there.

The Attendants try to keep passengers entertained...on the West coast run, there is WiFi, movies and games.

It's an experience for sure. We met several pleasant couples who were going to the same cruise port as we were but different ships. They hated to fly too!