Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Flying To Your Cruise
Register Forgot Password?

Flying To Your Cruise Discuss all AIRLINE-related topics here - advice on flight times, new airline rules, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2012, 08:41 PM
Familiar Face

Default When is the best time to look for or buy airfare? Cruise is in Nov this year.

Right now airfare from louisville to Miami is over $400 pp. Is there a better day/time to buy? Is best to book now or wait? I normally drive but this time we don't feel like driving 1100 miles.
Help Please.
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2012, 09:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I got sticker shock,when I booked my Florida fights for next month. Some prices were over a grand,which is unreal. Also, they were not nonstop.

November is the beginning of high season there, so unless you join say, the Spirit airline club or similar,find a price you can live with and book. At one time there used to be a better time of year for future flights to book, in my opinion, that is just not the case anymore...one hint though...try and book on a Wednesday, they say the prices are the best that day.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 21st, 2012, 09:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I got sticker shock,when I booked my Florida fights for next month. Some prices were over a grand,which is unreal. Also, they were not nonstop.

November is the beginning of high season there, so unless you join say, the Spirit airline club or similar,find a price you can live with and book. At one time there used to be a better time of year for future flights to book, in my opinion, that is just not the case anymore...one hint though...try and book on a Wednesday, they say the prices are the best that day.

Great advice there. I just booked a flight to San Francisco for our September cruise. I figure the fuel prices are only going to go up driving up the costs of flights so I might as well book now since the price was around what I had budgeted ($550/pp after taxes and fees). Now I don't have to worry about checking the sites every day and can just count the days until the cruise.
Old February 21st, 2012, 10:29 PM
Familiar Face

My only advice is to also look at flights to Fort Lauderdale, I did that one year and saved like $100 bucks on the flight. I also found a company that provides shuttle service from FLL to the port of Miami for only $15 it's called SAS shuttles.

**Carnival Valor 12/2008**

**Carnival Victory 12/2010**

**Carnival Valor 11/2012**
;-)
Old February 21st, 2012, 10:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I usually fly into Lauderdale,and also use SAS...it's funny, that sometimes even though Miami is further away, once in a while it's cheaper... playing the airfare search game has really become a headache. My wish is to win the lottery,and buy a lear jet...I will give all my Crusiemate pals, great rates

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 21st, 2012, 10:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
. My wish is to win the lottery,and buy a lear jet...I will give all my Crusiemate pals, great rates
I like that idea.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:23 PM
Familiar Face

Have you tried southwest?
Old February 23rd, 2012, 10:05 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconner View Post
Right now airfare from louisville to Miami is over $400 pp. Is there a better day/time to buy? Is best to book now or wait? I normally drive but this time we don't feel like driving 1100 miles.
Help Please.
Thank you
We are flying out of nashville on Southwest in June. Decided fares were only going up!! Got round trip with one stop to Ft Lauderdale for 370.00 pp & was proud to get it!! Most we have ever payed for air. Taking SAS shuttle to Port of Miami. Good luck if you have not bought tckts yet!!

Liberty June 2012
Old June 12th, 2012, 11:08 AM
First Mate

Have searched the SAS site and we are thinking of now flying into Miami because it's cheaper than flying into Fort Lauderdale for our Oasis cruise.
But SAS doesn't pick you up at the Miami airport and take you to the hotel in Fort Lauderdale..at least I can't see where it does. Now that would be great if I could find something like that. It's over 1,000.00 to fly to Miami and close to 2,000.00 to fly into Fort Lauderdale. I'll wait and check to see what tomorrow's (Wednesday) pricing is like, sure would be great if it would drop by 1,000.00.....haha...I highly doubt it will drop much at all! Might just have to change our minds and do the 3 day drive instead.

Gail
Comet Cruiser