Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Flying To Your Cruise
Register Forgot Password?

Flying To Your Cruise Discuss all AIRLINE-related topics here - advice on flight times, new airline rules, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 27th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Admiral

Question London!

It seems London is served by two airports. Gatwick looks closer to Southampton. But if we are planning on spending time in London, is one airport preferable to another. It seems Heathrow is much closer but flights are a little more expensive. Is it worth a few extra dollars to be closer - that is air savings eaten up by ground transportation costs?

I know our UK mates can help me out on this one.
Thanks,

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Admiral

"London" in theory has several airports, Heathrow, Gatwick, Luton & Stansted, plus a few smaller one's like London City. But for your purposes the two main one s are Heathrow & Gatwick, both quite a way from central London but you can catch a train bus or taxi into the city. I would say (not that I have done it) that the train may be best/cheapest, they run from inside the airport I think. As far as being closer to Southampton, they are both around 100 miles away (average) so that is irrelevant. if you are coming all that way I would say have a look at London & if time the Southampton area has things to see, like Winchester, Portsmouth, New forest, Stonehenge, Marwell zoo-park is interesting & there are good West-end /Broadway standard shows at the Mayflower theatre.
Old November 27th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

If you want to spend time in London before the cruise I would fly into Heathrow. If you are just going from the airport to Southampton I would fly into Gatwick. Both airports have train service into Victoria Station and you can connect to anything from there or be close enough to most areas of London to grab a cab.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 27th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
It seems London is served by two airports. Gatwick looks closer to Southampton. But if we are planning on spending time in London, is one airport preferable to another. It seems Heathrow is much closer but flights are a little more expensive. Is it worth a few extra dollars to be closer - that is air savings eaten up by ground transportation costs?

Thanks,
Just adding to John's reply. Heathrow is by far the better airport for travel to both Southampton (Most Gatwick taxi cabs will all-but drive to Heathrow befreo turning left onto the M3) and into London, as there is a Rapid link train, much slower underground, and regular fast coach transfer service. Getting from heathrow to Southampton is also easily do-able by the same Coach service (National Express)
Again coach services from Gatwick into London require a change of caoch at .... yes, Heathrow, and whilst some train services run from Gatwick into London, most require you changing trains at a station called Clapham Junction, which is VERY busy, and not at all nice to negotiate with luggage, or if in a hurry.

Unless we are talking major Dollars difference, I would always opt for Heathrow over Gatwick.

If you venture into London & plan on travelling down to Southampton later, then apart from the direct coach service from London Victoria Coach sttion (driving back through Heathrow) into Central Southampton, there is also an train hourly train service from London Waterloo direct to Southampton Central, which takes about an hour.

In Southampton both the coach & train end up just over the road from each other, and with only a very short taxi cab transfer to the terminal.

Hope that is of some help, please feel free to pass your plans by us, and both we & no doubt John will help/sanity check them where we can.

Speak soon,

Alan & Katrina

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old November 27th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Admiral

Well I suppose someone who has travelled to the UK & had to actually do the trip is better placed to advise than someone who lives in the UK & has never had to do it. All I can say is the times & distances are much the same whichever airport you choose. We live near Southampton & it makes little difference to us which airport we use for international flights.
Old March 19th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Admiral

Hi there, there is a regular train service from St. Pancras (up to 4 trains an hour) and they take 30 minutes to get to Luton Airport Parkway, from there I believe you have to take a shuttle service to the airport terminal.

Alternatively, and as a cheaper option, you can take a coach (National Express) from the central London Victoria Coach Terminal to the airport terminal. There are 3 services an hour, but the journey takes around 70 minutes.

Alan.

History :
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old March 19th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Admiral

Thanks Alan,

We're heading your way in less than two months. Found a good flight in and out of Heathrow. Have decided to try a same day flight. We'll see if that reduces jet lag. The trick may be falling asleep on arrival, but something about air travel seems to wear on me.

It will be a landlubbers vacation, no cruising. I think we will try to visit Portsmouth so will probably buzz by Southampton on the train. Maybe we will shoot for a weekend trip to see what ships might be in port.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old March 20th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Thanks Alan,

We're heading your way in less than two months. Found a good flight in and out of Heathrow. Have decided to try a same day flight. We'll see if that reduces jet lag. The trick may be falling asleep on arrival, but something about air travel seems to wear on me.

It will be a landlubbers vacation, no cruising. I think we will try to visit Portsmouth so will probably buzz by Southampton on the train. Maybe we will shoot for a weekend trip to see what ships might be in port.
Hi there Bob, if you let us know the dates (either here or via PM) we'll keep an eye open for any special events in the area that might be of interest to you. Also please note if you are going to Portsmouth, that the Mary Rose is closed to visitors, and the Victory is undergoing restoration work, so all her rigging & masts have been removed

Anyway, if there's anything we can do to help you have a great land based break, then please let us know.

Alan & Katrina

History :
Old March 21st, 2012, 06:45 PM
Admiral

Curry night?
Old March 22nd, 2012, 03:38 AM
Admiral

Default fao johnthedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Curry night?
Isn't every chance a curry night
btw we tried the Rimjhim in Colden Common last week. We were a bit dubious as it is always empty, but as they are doing a weekday special of 3 courses for 11.95 incl a glass of wine, we thought 'why not?'.

Well I have to say that we were both very impressed with the quality & selection of food. Service was faultless, and they weren't at all pushy. Certainly worth a try, and definitely better than the Wickham Kuti's.

Alan.

History :
Old March 22nd, 2012, 11:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandajones View Post
Isn't every chance a curry night
btw we tried the Rimjhim in Colden Common last week. We were a bit dubious as it is always empty, but as they are doing a weekday special of 3 courses for 11.95 incl a glass of wine, we thought 'why not?'.

Well I have to say that we were both very impressed with the quality & selection of food. Service was faultless, and they weren't at all pushy. Certainly worth a try, and definitely better than the Wickham Kuti's.

Alan.
Thanks...always look a bit grim there.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thats tomorrow night John, now back to airports
Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

if you are coming to London for a few days precruise then Gatwick is the better choice, the gatwick express train takes you into London Victoria it's a fast line my wife often used it when there were problems on the normal commuter line into Kent. Then I would pick her up on my way home at the airport. Heathrow is closer to Southampton but not a lot and taking traffic into consideration no quicker to Southampton at peak times.
The main thing to think about is how to get from the airport to the ship if you are going direct to the ship have a look at National Express coach company for costs.
You can also get prices for hire cars with driver they are like cabs but are not allowed to just pick up at the road side. You can contact them by phone or email they will give you a price to take your party and luggage it is probably cheaper than the train and a lot easier door to door
Old March 22nd, 2012, 03:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan kent View Post
if you are coming to London for a few days precruise then Gatwick is the better choice, the gatwick express train takes you into London Victoria it's a fast line my wife often used it when there were problems on the normal commuter line into Kent.
What's wrong with the Heathrow Express going into Paddington?

From Vancouver only our cheap charters go into Gatwick, all the regular airlines go into Heathrow.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

I suggest you read the original post he does not live in the hub of the universe but lives in Indianapolis where flights are cheaper into Gatwick.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Been checking out transport here are a couple of addresses

Corporate Coaches Executive Coaches Coach Travel - Eavesway it's a coach company that does cruise ship runs from the airports to Southampton.

Holidaytaxis.com looks like a private hire firm that does airport runs.

Give me a few more details and I will look some more
Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Thats tomorrow night John, now back to airports
Sorry to go off topic....Alan & I like our curry!
Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

London Gatwick To / From Southampton Cruise Terminals By Bus ...
Transfers between Gatwick Airport and Southampton compared, public and private transport
London Gatwick To / From Southampton Cruise Terminals By Bus, Train or Private Taxi / Van

This has some really cheap prices
Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I suggest you read the original post he does not live in the hub of the universe but lives in Indianapolis where flights are cheaper into Gatwick.
Keep a lid on your sarcasm will you, it's juvenile. It would be nice to point out both options from both airports for transportation to downtown London for when he's searching. You pointed out only one option. Both airports are served well by either Heathrow or Gatwick Express.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old April 9th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

There is only sarcasm where one chooses to see sarcasm. I took it as a valid comment on the original post.

But to add to the conversation - I have taken the National Express coach from the airport to Southampton, and it was quite an adventure. I expected it would only take under two hours - closer to four.

I do not know if they have an express, but if they do - take it. My route was a spaghetti pattern with stops in every village with a herd of goats.

Good thing I had a hotel booked. Unfortunately, when I arrived I found out I had somehow been booked in the WRONG Holiday Inn and had to take a $20 taxi ride there and to the pier the following day.

But booking the coach in the Internet was easy - prepaid.
Old April 9th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
There is only sarcasm where one chooses to see sarcasm. I took it as a valid comment on the original post.

But to add to the conversation - I have taken the National Express coach from the airport to Southampton, and it was quite an adventure. I expected it would only take under two hours - closer to four.

I do not know if they have an express, but if they do - take it. My route was a spaghetti pattern with stops in every village with a herd of goats.

Good thing I had a hotel booked. Unfortunately, when I arrived I found out I had somehow been booked in the WRONG Holiday Inn and had to take a $20 taxi ride there and to the pier the following day.

But booking the coach in the Internet was easy - prepaid.
The coaches go from the Airport to Southampton but not exclusively so, they do stop at points in between, that's public transport for you.
Paul you ended up quite near me I think. Near the Cricket ground?
Old April 20th, 2014, 08:09 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Angry

Quote:

Thanks,

England in general is the most expensive Country to fly from, followed by Frankfurt Germany.
Wait till you see the taxes on your return flight from both Gatwick and Heathrow.