Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Flying To Your Cruise
Register Forgot Password?

Flying To Your Cruise Discuss all AIRLINE-related topics here - advice on flight times, new airline rules, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 15th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Change in ticket price...

I could also post this in the gripes board, but here goes....I booked air ticket back in May for an Oct. cruise. Just decided to check today, flight changes, etc...Right away I noticed different times on both the flight down to Ft. Lauderdale and the return trip, just a matter of 10 minutes, no big deal. The return trip was a different flight #, again, no big deal. Then I did the booking process on "my" flights to find out there is a difference in price by $468, almost half of what I paid back in May.

So, I get on the phone and ask, what I can do: they had to check my tickets and only to find out, all I get for the difference is 2 $84 vouchers to be used within the next year, a $150 per ticket is charged for the change. I didn't change anything, they changed, times, flight numbers and lowered the price and I loose the $300 as a re-booking fee? Something not fair here? Not a whole lot I can do at this point, but it does get me erritated to say the least....

Message Boards Moderator
Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Well, that sure stinks! Call back,and ask to speak to a supervisor. I hate to say it, but sometimes it can depend on who pick up the phone, to get satisfaction The airlines really have us over a barrel, with their change fees, which take all of a few minutes time;(

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 16th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Admiral

Donna, that totally stinks. I agree with Trip call back and ask to speak to a supervisior
Old August 16th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Admiral

Ok, I wrote a lengthy e-mail, wanted this in writing.....I think we are stuck with these non-refundable tickets, but then they also advertize, "the lowest fares"....We will see what they write back. I just don't get that it is OK to change flight times and numbers and lower the price and not stick to it, non-refundable tickets or not?

Will keep you posted, now I am on a mission...

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 16th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Admiral

Good Luck!

Old August 17th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Admiral

you go get'um lol
Old August 17th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Donna,

I hope the best for you but I have to be honest and say that I don't think you have too much of a chance. Everything you said happened is all within the non-refundable ticket contract. I do find it interesting that you were not notified of the changes by email.

You will still arrive at your destination within one hour of your previous arrival time and they can change equipment and flight number at their discretion.

When it comes to pricing it continously changes.

I hope the best for you.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 17th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Admiral

Thanks Mike,
I know they have us over a barrel, but it doesn't seem quite fair when they can change times and flights and then lower the price by almost half and not pass any savings to the customer, but charge them $150 each to re-ticket, when they already changed us to those flights?? Not good customer service IMHO.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 17th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Thanks Mike,
I know they have us over a barrel, but it doesn't seem quite fair when they can change times and flights and then lower the price by almost half and not pass any savings to the customer, but charge them $150 each to re-ticket, when they already changed us to those flights?? Not good customer service IMHO.
They lowered the price, but in order to get that lower price with the airlines, you have to pay the change fee, despite them changing the flight schedule. It's just one of those nasty rules with non refundable tickets, but in the end, you do have a couple vouchers to use for future credit i.e. "passing some savings to the customer", so it's not like you didnt get something for your efforts, just not what you believe is the "fair amount" ! :eek:

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old August 17th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

It's the "problem" of non-refundable airfare. The person sitting next to you rarely paid the same amount that you did. The problem occurs when you are the one who paid the higher price.

The flight number change was not an issue and even you admitted that the ten minute time change was not a problem and it really isn't. It wasn't until you saw that the price was much lower that you had a problem. When you booked the original ticket you knew it was non-refundable and there was a penalty associated with a change.

As I said earlier, I hope you do get a better compensation deal but if you do then it's the airline being nice and foregoing the terms of the non-refundable ticket agreement. This is something they do not have to do and most of the time don't.

I know I would also be a bit perturbed but I don't know if I would be forcing the issue. Unless I was never notified of the flight number change and the time change. I have had this happen many times but the only time I got bit by it was when "I" didn't read the change carefully enough and ended up flying into FLL instead of Miami. I just ate the taxi fare from FLL to Miami.

Take care and good luck,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 17th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Admiral

I have gotten emails, phone calls, or nothing at in with changes..no rhyme or reason, really. Another reason to not fly on the day of a cruise....that change could be a cruise killer change

I have also had the change fees dropped for me as well... one time. That price drop is sure a major drop, making the argument do you book eatly out or up close....that barrel they have us over is disturbing

Old August 17th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Years ago when airlines were making $$$, they would work more with customers regarding price changes..... now, they are struggling like anyone else and they don't bend the rules too much, if any. I cannot blame them for having to crank down on their policies, the problem is we have been spoiled in the past and don't like the changes ! OP, be happy you got some of that price difference at all.

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old August 17th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Admiral

I agree. Call a supervisor!

We received an email informing us of a change in flight times AND airport - Long Beach now LAX. I looked up the new airlines on line like I was booking a flight and there was an $84 difference (less) for each ticket. I called to question the email. Once they explained the change of venue and times because they changed flying routes. They asked me if I wanted to confirm/accept or cancel. I requested to confirm BUT the reduced rate and was given a credit for future use. Good deal. Then a week later we receive an email from the airlines giving us another $25 each for the inconvenience of traveling a few miles further. When I went to use the money banked, there was a problem and I received another $25 for inconvenience. JetBlue works with you!!

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 28th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Familiar Face

I guess I just don't see the problem. As far as the flight numbers go, it's a number no big deal. And never said what airline either. If you are going into FLL and it's United/Continental, the number change and slight time dif might be because of the merger as they consolidate operations. As far as the price goes, maybe they changed planes and now have more seats to fill and are trying to get folks on the bird. What day of the week did you buy the tickets? Airlines usually roll out their "sales" in midweek. (I fly often and have seen the same exact flight a couple hundred dollars cheaper just buy looking on a Web vs a Sat). I don't mean to sound heartless here but the price you paid is what they were worth the second you clicked the buy button. If the price had gone up and the airline came back and said you owed them more money would you have had an issue with that? Just sayin (and yes I realize my opinion probably will not be a popular one)
Old August 28th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Admiral

I don't care what is right or wrong in the contract or otherwise ...all this stuff stinks, booking cruises then they drop the price etc.. I know all the reasons for & against but it still leaves a nasty taste when they do this, some cruise prices can drop thousands...I know that's the chance you take & all the reasons, but whatever anyone says I would feel conned.
Old August 28th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Admiral

I never changed the ticket, flight #, and time, they did....they just had to adjust the price, by charging $150 per person service charge and what was left vouchers....Just not fair...No, it was American, not United or Cont.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 28th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Admiral

Happened to us a couple of years ago. They changed one of our flights so we would miss the connection we needed to make. The airline didn't notify us, I just happened to notice the change on my own. Another good reason for flying in early.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014