Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Flying To Your Cruise
Register Forgot Password?

Flying To Your Cruise Discuss all AIRLINE-related topics here - advice on flight times, new airline rules, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 30th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Flying to your cruise FAQ

Welcome to this new Forum on Flying... Here we will list some important things yuo need to know about flying to your cruise. This FAQ will be added to as we go...

1. The best rule for flying to a cruise is to always plan to arrive in the port city the day before the cruise and stay in a hotel.

2. For leaving the cruise - depending on how close you are to the airport, it is best NOT to book a flight before 12:00 noon - although there are exceptions to this rule.

3. Take notice of airline baggage allowances - not all airlines are the same. Also carry-on baggage sizes allowed can differ between lines and different model planes.

4. Do not assume that if you are over your weight allowance you can pay for it, sometimes you can't.

5. Note that you should arrive at the airport a considerable time before your flight leaves. Especially on Sundays in Miami or Ft lauderdale.

6. Do not turn up or get drunk before your flight or they can deny you the right to board the plane.

7. Never joke about bombs in line or onboard. In fact - the best way to deal with the TSA is to smile and comply - never argue or joke with them, just smile and do what they ask. They have a job to do and lots of people to process. They don't want to give you trouble anymore than you want to ask for it.

If you have more ideas for the FAQ add them beloe and the MOds will update the FAQ as we go.
Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Admiral

Take notice of airline baggage allowances not all airlines are the same.
Also baggage sizes differ between lines.
Do not assume that if you are over your weight allowance you can pay for it, sometimes you can't.
Simple for experienced travellers, but note that you MUST be at the airport a considerable time before your flight leaves.
Do not turn up drunk or apparently so, you won't get on the plane.
Never joke about bombs.
Old July 30th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Great subject for a new forum!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 30th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Admiral

On the joke thing....they have heard them all before & they weren't that funny the first time!!!
Old July 31st, 2011, 04:59 AM
Admiral

It may seem obvious but ensure that all sharp objects e.g. scissors etc are packed in hold luggage. I saw swiss army knives removed from a youth in Boston this year.
Old July 31st, 2011, 11:41 AM
First Mate

On a trip that required a change in planes, the second shorter leg was first delayed and then cancelled because of weather. Rather than have the airline put us up overnight and risk not getting out in time the next day, we opted to rent a car and drive the 3+ hours to our destination. Although this decision was conveyed to the airline agent, when we got back we found out that our return flight reservations had been cancelled because we had not completed the prior flight. It got straigtened out, but was an annoying way to end a vacation.
Old July 31st, 2011, 12:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I happen to think the jokes were really funny - especially when a FA can rattle the whole joke speech off instead of doing the original patter.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:12 AM
Admiral

great idea for a new forum!

If you can't fly in the day before your cruise, get the earliest flight out. Travel in comfortable clothing, pack a change of clothes including your bathing suit in your carry-on. Your stateroom might not be ready when you board, and your luggage might not be there right away, and you might want to change into your shorts or swimsuit and hang out at the pool
Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:32 AM
Admiral

My S-I-L's mom was flying from Washington ,DC to Vancouver to board a cruise ship .She decided to leave her home the same day as the cruise .She arrived at the airport 2 1/2 hours prior to departure . After getting through security ,apparently more intense because of being DC she realized that the gate for her flight had changed .She literally ran to 25 gates away from where she was and made the flight with 2 minutes to spare .

I agree with Paul 100 % ,always go a day early .
Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:40 AM
Administrator
Admiral

No - Henry....

The moral to THAT story is a simple one - always double check your gate when you get to the airport to make sure it hasn't changed. I always do that (I have been through quite a few gate changes).
Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:56 AM
Admiral

True ,but it also would have been a good idea to travel a day earlier as did my daughter and husband for the same cruise .

This woman did not fly direct .She had to change planes and had 40 minutes to do so .
Old August 2nd, 2011, 05:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

The only way I will fly the same day as the cruise, is the first non-stop, direct flight that lands before noon. So far, I have one for my upcomming cruise. The price difference for going the day before was $500, just didn't make sense when you also bring into the expense is a hotel for that night and another ride to the port.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 2nd, 2011, 06:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I happen to think the jokes were really funny - especially when a FA can rattle the whole joke speech off instead of doing the original patter.
I meant the "funnies" that passengers come out with. I bet they really get on peoples' nerves.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:17 PM
Captain

Smile

We will always leave at least a day early from now on.Are first and only cruise we left the same day.We were suppose to arrive in L.A at 9:30 in the moring plenty of time to get from L.A.X to the ship terminal in San Pedro right?Well :it would of been if we would of been on the plane when it landed. The day we were to fly out is the same day Alaska airlines computers crashed! We ended up catching up to the ship in Hilo.So on are next cruise which will be leaving from ST.Luise we will be there 2 days early
Old June 12th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Admiral

Please don't laugh at this question...it's sincere.

We'll be on a 14 day Panama cruise in December... but we'll need to fly to our departure port. Is it possible to pack everything basic we'll need in one carry-on (22") suitcase each? (We hate dragging luggage around)
Old June 12th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Admiral

It is possible, but would be difficult, especially for 14 days...I would use two and still pack on the light side. Will you be able to do laundry during the cruise, or have stuff laundered when needed? Even with a lot of mix and match outfits, two weeks and sharing one piece of luggage...I think I would plan on one each, still not bad.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 12th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
It is possible, but would be difficult, especially for 14 days...I would use two and still pack on the light side. Will you be able to do laundry during the cruise, or have stuff laundered when needed? Even with a lot of mix and match outfits, two weeks and sharing one piece of luggage...I think I would plan on one each, still not bad.

Sorry for the confusion ...I meant one piece of 22" luggage each and a rather large handbag for me to carry make-up, jewelry, meds. Can it be done?

For formal night...to rent a tux for my husband or maybe not go...We want to look nice, but hate the idea of trying to lug stuff in & out of a cab, on an airplane, or on & off the cruise... Especially if it's hot, humid, cold, rainy, windy or you're trying to maneuver your luggage around a crowd of other passengers.
Old June 12th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Admiral

Ok, that is more like it..You should be able to carry-on two things, so a purse and a carry-on bag, you should be fine...I just couldn't imagine one 22 inch case for two people for 14 days...

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 18th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldmouse View Post

We'll be on a 14 day Panama cruise in December... but we'll need to fly to our departure port. Is it possible to pack everything basic we'll need in one carry-on (22") suitcase each? (We hate dragging luggage around)
We just did a 14 day cruise to Hawaii with just a 22 in carry on. We packed to miss formal night on purpose. Next year we are doing this cruise again. No checked bags but a going to rent me Tux or suit. We had laundry do once. DW just hand washed her clothes every coupleof days. We still overpacked.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old June 18th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Admiral

We went looking for some lightweight 22" luggage and found several styles of carry-ons that were light weight (under 8 lbs) and yet fairly roomy. The 22" suitcases we use now, 'unpacked' weighs in a little OVER 13 lbs! Yikes!

My husband is retiring this [/B]week and we plan to do much more cruising. So, some well made, light weight luggage is a must.

Now all we have to do is par down our packing to just fit into a 22". (a one week cruise, that's super easy...it's the 14+days we're working on)

If Donna and Kamloops Cruiser can do it...well, we can give it a hardy try!!!!!!
Old June 21st, 2012, 09:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:

We did that on a 14 day Hawaii cruise in April 2012 . Bypassed all the formal nights and get together s.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old June 27th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
We went looking for some lightweight 22" luggage and found several styles of carry-ons that were light weight (under 8 lbs) and yet fairly roomy. The 22" suitcases we use now, 'unpacked' weighs in a little OVER 13 lbs! Yikes!

My husband is retiring this [/B]week and we plan to do much more cruising. So, some well made, light weight luggage is a must.

Now all we have to do is par down our packing to just fit into a 22". (a one week cruise, that's super easy...it's the 14+days we're working on)

If Donna and Kamloops Cruiser can do it...well, we can give it a hardy try!!!!!!
We bought new set of luggage from Costco last year. It was made by HEYS and only weighted 6 LBS for 22 inch bag.We used the airline carry on on bag for a 14 day Hawaii cruise in April 2012. Still half the clothes weren't used.

Ships Sailed:

Old October 8th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Captain

Never heard of anyone flying their own helicopter home after a cruise....

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries
Old October 8th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerospace View Post
Never heard of anyone flying their own helicopter home after a cruise....
I deleted the posting. It would have helped if it was in English.

I really have noticed more and more people are trying to book flights before noon. I know they are often cheaper but I am seeing posting of people wanting to book 9:00 a.m. flights. Yes, you might make it but it's taking a gamble and if you lose it could cost you quite a bit in change fees to re-book your flight.

It is in your best interest to "NOT" book an early flight.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me