Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Entertainment on Ships
Register Forgot Password?

Entertainment on Ships All aspects of shipboard entertainment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 30th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Beginner

Default Engine room tours?

We're planning our first cruise and one of things I would like to do is see the engines/engineering areas of the ship.

In May of 2004 when the QM2 was in New York I worked on the GE LM5000 gas turbine generators (they generate the ship's electrical power) and electric motors drive the ship. It was a thrill to be on the ship and work with the crew - I even met the Chief Engineer.

Is access like this something that is openly offered or do I ask around and get lucky?

Thanks -
Matt
Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Admiral

In the past (before 9/11) they used to offer engine room tours, but very sadly, since that time nothing of this sort is offered. I've been fortunate enough to have taken those tours, and for someone who's even remotely interested in that sort of thing, it's fascinating! The size of the propeller shafts (on ships that don't use the pods for propulsion) is staggering, if nothing else, and the fact that the entire space is kept so clean, to me is amazing. You might express an interest to "those who might help you" ie: note who the chief engineer is at the welcome aboard show, and if you see him out and about, strike up a conversation.
Good luck, and maybe you'll be lucky enough to see the inner workings of a modern cruise ship.

Ken
"SKY"
Old July 11th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Engine room tours?

Post 911 the engine rooms are off limits, as is the bridge and typically the kitchens. Still, there is always a remote chance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkenn
We're planning our first cruise and one of things I would like to do is see the engines/engineering areas of the ship.

In May of 2004 when the QM2 was in New York I worked on the GE LM5000 gas turbine generators (they generate the ship's electrical power) and electric motors drive the ship. It was a thrill to be on the ship and work with the crew - I even met the Chief Engineer.

Is access like this something that is openly offered or do I ask around and get lucky?

Thanks -
Matt
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old July 12th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Queen Mary will do bridge tours sometimes. Engine room tours are very rare (I have seen a few).

The gas turbines on QM2 are mounted up by the smokestack, andway, and they have pods for engines.

Ships that have pods do not have the same sort of interesting engine rooms as the propellar driven ships have, and most new ships have pods. On the propellar ships you could see the the screw (the shaft the propellar mounted on) being turned by the electric motors, but not so with the pods.

I haven't seen one, but I doubt there is as much to see anymore as there used to be since pods came along.

By the way - go to the Queen Mary 1 in Long Beach, CA - you can see evey aspect of her engine room, and it is fascinating.
Old July 9th, 2009, 10:43 AM
First Mate

Default Tours Of Ship

Many years ago I was fortunate to be able to tour many places aboard ship including the engine room. Those days are all gone. Some of the very elite passengers may get a tour of the bridge. You will probally be able to tour parts of the galley--look for such a tour in your daily program.
Old July 12th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Doesn't hurt to ask, but I haven't heard of any tours of engine rooms for a long time. I did however, just watch a show on the Travel channel and they did film the engine room. I was amazed how clean it was, looked like you could eat off the floor.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 22nd, 2011, 02:31 AM
Familiar Face

NOT A CHANCE. You'll never see the inside of an engine room. I can guarantee that. Nor, the bridge...unless you're on a long cruise (like a crossing) and the captain is really great.

After 9/11, everything changed. People got paranoid. We're more likely to drown in our sink than be the victim of a terrorist attack, but supposedly they're everywhere...like in your pants or under your bra at the airport. Sit me in front of FoxNews for a couple of hours, and I'll start thinking my parents are hiding Osama in their pants...it's unreal how stupid it's gotten, and it's a shame, because those were always awesome tours. Like kids seeing the cockpit of a plane. I got to do that. My kids won't...all because of some guys in a cave with box cutters, that we probably made up anyways. We've forgotten that people are usually decent. It's a shame.

Most crew can't ever go down into the engine spaces. It took me years to be able to go down there, and I only ever went a couple of times...and always working, never just to have a look. That doesn't happen anymore. We make videos and put them on TV to show people those spaces.

Never hurts to ask. Upgrade to the owner's suite, and maybe you'll have a better chance. Buy a couple million of the company's stock...even better.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 05:26 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofreebc View Post
NOT A CHANCE. You'll never see the inside of an engine room. I can guarantee that. Nor, the bridge...unless you're on a long cruise (like a crossing) and the captain is really great.

Never hurts to ask. Upgrade to the owner's suite, and maybe you'll have a better chance. Buy a couple million of the company's stock...even better.
Suppose I should scan and upload the picture of me with the captain of the Carnival Imagination, taken on the bridge of the ship back in November of last year. Carnival's "Behind the Fun" excursion will goto the engine control room and the bridge.

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old January 25th, 2011, 04:36 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFLA View Post
Suppose I should scan and upload the picture of me with the captain of the Carnival Imagination, taken on the bridge of the ship back in November of last year. Carnival's "Behind the Fun" excursion will goto the engine control room and the bridge.
Well, that's cool! On RCI, it's a no no. They just show a video, but that's cool that they do it on Carnival. Right on.
Old January 25th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

They now 'auction' the opportunity to visit the engine room, bridge, and 'blow' the horn on RCCL. It's a charity deal. At least they did on the Voyager this month.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old January 26th, 2011, 02:35 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofreebc View Post
Well, that's cool! On RCI, it's a no no. They just show a video, but that's cool that they do it on Carnival. Right on.
Well, no personal cameras were allowed on the tour, but once we got to the bridge part, they had a member of the ship's photography crew arrive on the bridge and took a group picture.

The bridge portion of the trip was probably the most relaxed of all of it. We were pretty much allowed to wander around freely just "hands off." It was kind of neat standing on the wings looking directly down at the water. A little unnerving at first, but yeah pretty cool. We spent probably a good 10 - 15m of the tour up there, if not longer.

I would definatly recommend the tour to anyone on the ship.

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.

Last edited by HawkeyeFLA; January 26th, 2011 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Removing double quote caused by system glitch
Old February 13th, 2011, 01:44 AM
Captain

ECR (engine control room) tours are occasionally possible.
Engine room tours are extrememly rare.

Today's modern engine rooms can be quite dangerous, with hot steam pipes to burn you, slippery catwalks, high voltage, and very loud machines.
But the most dangerous - and the main reason why you cannot tour - is fire suppression. Most engine room fire suppression systems are CO2 and HALON. If they are activated and you happen to be in the engine room at the time, you are dead. The cruise lines want an absolute minimum number of people in the engine room at any given time.
Old November 26th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Tours of restricted spaces are extremely rare. I suggest talking to a ships officer as opposed to guest services. At the end of the day the decision rests with the master or his designated authority which may be the CHENG depending on the vessel. It doesn't hurt to ask though.
Old December 8th, 2012, 01:47 AM
Admiral

On my last cruise ( on the Celebrity Equinox ), those of us who were invited to to have dinner at the Captain's table also got an invitation to the engine room.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old December 8th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Captain

I'm jealous!
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14

Booked:Freedom OTS 10/14
Booked:Solstice Alaska; 09/15

Old December 17th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I had a tour of the engine room on Norwegian Epic. Even better, the ship does NOT have pods, so you can see the screws for the propellers.

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums - Paul Motter's Album: Norweguan Epic Crossing -
Old December 31st, 2012, 06:05 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default выбранный раз

На потребности людей влияет множество различных факторов: социальные и экономические условия, уровень развития производства, исторически сложившиеся привычки, условия жизни, быта, труда, национальные особенности и т. д.
2. Разбираем гидравлику: от ГТЦ вплоть до шлангов передних колёс и тройника на лонжероне. Заодно ревизируем задний шланг, а если ему больше 5-х лет, то меняем без ревизии. Если попутно переходим с БСК на "Неву", то спиртом промываем оставшуюся гидравлику. Если ещё осался на правом крыле гидровакуумный усилитель, снимаем его. Если в нём плещется ТЖ, то сразу в утиль, иначе - в музей или отдаём другу-ЛуАЗоводу/РАФоводу. Да, чуть не забыл: за двигателем проложены 2 тормозные трубки. Ту, что длинее, оставлем; короткую снимаем. барабанные тормозные механизмы; ???????? ???? ?????? ??? ???????? . ?????? ????? . Viktoriya-bonya-jurnal-sim-intervy.ru
Поместив основной рычаг на квадратную ось доводчика, закрепите его с помощью крепежного винта.
При работе двигателя воздух, поступающий в компрессор через воздушный фильтр, сжимается и направляется в баллоны, где находится под давлением. Давление воздуха устанавливается регулятором давления, который находится в компрессоре и обеспечивает его работу вхолостую при достижении заданного уровня давления. Если водитель производит торможение, нажимая на тормозную педаль, то этим он воздействует на тормозной кран, открывающий поступление воздуха из баллонов в тормозные камеры колесных тормозов.