Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Disney
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 26th, 2012, 06:39 PM
First Mate

Default I can pay for my Disney cruise with Disney dollars, but can I buy anything on the Di

I was wondering if I could buy anyting on the Disney ships with my Disney dollars. I know that I can buy my ticket.
Can I pay tips with them on the ships?Can I use them to pay for anything on the cruise ships like those Mouse popsicles. I know I can always exchange them for US currency and then buy the item on the ship, but this seems like a hassle. Anyone have an answer to these questions.
Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2012, 11:33 PM
First Mate

I will try and find out tomorrow for you.

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old May 28th, 2012, 04:56 PM
First Mate

Sorry for the delay. Had to wait for one of my managers to be in (one that has sailed many times). Disney Dollars are accepted, however you goto Guest Services and put them on your ship account, just like placing cash down. So not accepted in the actual shops, but still accepted.

Past cruises:

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old May 28th, 2012, 05:05 PM
First Mate

Thanks for input. I figured that there had to be an exchange of the Disney money for US currency or put into a ship account. I guess I could still give crewmembers the Disney money as tips. Disney money doesn't require any signatures so it would be like giving them real US currency and they could do the conversion themselves.
Old May 28th, 2012, 06:43 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
Thanks for input. I figured that there had to be an exchange of the Disney money for US currency or put into a ship account. I guess I could still give crewmembers the Disney money as tips. Disney money doesn't require any signatures so it would be like giving them real US currency and they could do the conversion themselves.
I would double check first to make sure that the crew is allowed to do something like that. I know here on land at WDW tipped cast can get their DDL exchanged, but rules could be different on ship. Ask first is always a good rule.

Past cruises:

Old May 30th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Welcome Newcomer

This answers my questions about the disney dollars! Thanks! Im glad its answered now
Old May 31st, 2012, 05:37 AM
First Mate

Interesting fact, Disney Dollars DO NOT expire, and the oldest bill from 1987 can still be used today. If you have an old bill you might want to check to see how much its worth. I saw one that had doubled in value over the past few years. That's better than US currency.
Old May 31st, 2012, 11:55 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
Interesting fact, Disney Dollars DO NOT expire, and the oldest bill from 1987 can still be used today. If you have an old bill you might want to check to see how much its worth. I saw one that had doubled in value over the past few years. That's better than US currency.
Yeah, a lot of people buy them as collectibles. And when you consider that the denominations are only $1 $5 and $10, for 16 bux, or 32 if you want to display front and back, you have a nice little souvenir of your visit.

It feels like we don't do as much with DDL anymore. Gift cards seem to have mostly replaced them. Parents or grandparents can get those in advance of the vacation and give to little Timmy to have spending money. The benefit of a gift card is that it's replaceable. And these days we have sooooooooooooooo many different designs for them.

And of course the PMS (Property Management System) we use now is getting even more advanced. A parent can have a KTTW (Key to the World) made with charging for the kids and set a hard spending limit on it, independent of the master account for the room. Can also set it up to only work for specific things like food and beverage etc etc.

Past cruises:

Old June 21st, 2012, 09:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

I wish the cruise line would allow me the same control over room cards for minors!

I have to be very clear with my teenager about how much she can spend.
Old June 21st, 2012, 09:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Big Mac,
I thought you could put a limit on he kids cards when you check-in, I would ask about that, just to be on the safe side.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 21st, 2012, 09:50 PM
Captain

Can't you setup their account as a cash account and simply deposit their weekly allowance at the start of the trip?
Old June 26th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
I wish the cruise line would allow me the same control over room cards for minors!

I have to be very clear with my teenager about how much she can spend.
BigMac, like Donna said; check with guest relations on the ship. I sailed Royal Caribbean last Dec, and I had all five kids on my account; but with no or little charging privlidges; basically they had a room key.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old June 27th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

I will speak with them next time I am onboard...thanks!

I have about 385 days to go.
Old July 19th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Disney Dollars are accepting by them, however you goto Guest Services and put them on your ship account, just like placing cash down. So not accepted in the real shops, but still accepted.