Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Disabled Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Disabled Cruisers Discuss issues concerning disabled cruisers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to bigorangefan Send a message via Yahoo to bigorangefan
Default Looking for wheelchair accessible excursions in Hawaii...

My wife are 1st time cruisers. I am disabled in a wheelchair, but can stand on my left leg for a minute.

We are leaving from Honolulu on the Carnival Spirit in April to cruise Hawaii & Alaska. but we can't find out which excursions in Hawaii are handicap accessible. And how does one spend time on the beach when they can't walk? As I mentioned, I use a wheelchair to get around....a manual wheelchair. Should I plan to rent a scooter to get around, or can I just use my manual chair?

Any information will be more than we can get from Carnival. All they can say is wait till you get onboard. HELP!!
Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Dear Big Orange,

Have you tried calling their Special Needs desk? Also, did you get the shore excurion brochure? They should have indications as to whether you can bring your wheelchair on certain excursions.

If you don't have it, the # is 800/438-6744 ext 70025 to the Special Requirements office.

Renting a scooter may not be a bad idea. When you port (not tender) you can bring your chair with you to get around. My husband usually brings his electric and manual wheelchair.

Good luck to you! Have a great cruise!

...Jean

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old April 11th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to bigorangefan Send a message via Yahoo to bigorangefan

Tnak you, Ms Jean......tried your suggestion on contacting Carnival's Special Needs Dept again...and got ahold of Ms. Lillian Gallagher. She got me almost all of the answers needed.

Really getting excited as it is only 17 days to our 19 day cruise begans!!!

Thanks again...hope ya'll have a good cruise.
Old April 11th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Admiral

Glad you got the answers you needed. Can you believe we have been struggling for WEEKS with Celebrity Cruise Lines to get ANY answers!!!! Their customer service so far gets an F! But we still have a positive attitude and will enjoy our cruise to the fullest!!

Happy Cruising!!!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old April 16th, 2006, 10:05 PM
First Mate

In Honolulu, the Bus is fully accessible, and an easy way to get to Waikiki from the cruise ship port. You can also go to Ala Moana park, which has a nice beach. The shopping shuttles in Honolulu are NOT accessible for the most part, although you can get one from Hilo Hattie's or Maui Diver's with 24 hours notice.

You can also get beach chairs many places on Oahu. Here is a list:

http://www.honolulu.gov/parks/programs/beach/

We got accessible tours (with a lot of struggle) through Princess in Hilo (Volcano National Park) and Kauai (Waimea Canyon). The shuttle into town in Hilo is wheelchair accessible ($3.00/person). In Kona and Lahaina you are right in town, and the access is pretty easy. If you want to get out of town, rent a car (cabs are expensive). If you can transfer to a car, this is the easiest way to get around for a wheelchair user. We used Alamo and got a full-sized car most places for less than $40/day. The rental car shuttles are not accessible (except Alamo in Kauai), so plan to have an AB member of your party get the car and come back to the pier to pick you up.