Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Cunard
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Familiar Face

Default Queen Mary 2 or Victoria or Maybe Elizabeth?

What is the difference between Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria - which is better? I am thinking about a cruise in Europe out of Britain.

Or what about Queen Elizabeth - when is that coming out and is it worth waiting for?

Seabourn 1995 - Carnival Elation 1996 - Sea Princess 1998 - Crystal Harmony 1998 - Grand Princess 1998 - Holland America Ryndam 1999 - Renaissance 2000 Oceania 2002 - Carnival Conquest 2004 - Pride of America 2005 - Emerald Princess 2006 - Crsytal Serenity June 2008
Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Captain

Hi again, for us it is Queen Victoria over QM2 every time, but that is possibly because we had such a bad time on QM2 & vowed not to step onto her again.
Our voyages on Queen Victoria has been far more enjoyable for us, as the activities available (especially the Fencing Lessons) we of more interest to us.

If you are looking at Europe, then your choice of month may well have the final say on which one you choose as QM2 spends more time on the Atlantic.
For Queen Elizabeth, there appears to still be plenty of space available for her November & December voyages.

Alan & Katrina

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+1), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura, Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Old January 26th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Beginner

Smile Which Cunard?

We have done TA on the QM2 and found it very good, we did a European trip on the QV. Differences are QM2 is bigger than the QV and I believe that the Q Elizabeth is the same size as QV.

To us we enjoyed both ships and have booked QV for Christmas 2010, we did look at QM2 also but there where no flights available ( She is doing Caribbean)

I would look at where the ships are going and then decide which ship to book on I am sure which ever ship you choose you will have a great holiday.
Old January 26th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I have taken both ships and enjoyed them both as well. The Queen Mary 2 is a classic Ocean liner and if you are a ship buff (you seem to be) then you will really enjoy the experience onboard.

But I really recommend the transatlantic on the Queen Mary 2 - I think this is a trip every cruise should take art least once.

You cross in 6 days - almost as fast as the heyday of ocean liners, and the entirwe trip is like a journey through time because of the extensive lectures onboard about Cunard lore and history and the history of ocean liners.

The Queen Victoria is better for port-intensive cruises. It is a beautiful, smaller ship similar to Holland Americas newer ships in many ways. The food is very good on both ships. If you are thinking of a crossing, I would definitely take QM2, though.

I guess I could sum it up this way - you will love both ships, but the QM2 is a one of a kind in the world ship, while the QV is more of a standrad cruise ship - but of very high quality. Base your decision on which you are more interested in - the ship (QM2) or the ports (QV).

As for Queen Elizabeth - I don't know enough about her yet. I have get cracking on that!

Old March 4th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzenjammer View Post
What is the difference between Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria - which is better? I am thinking about a cruise in Europe out of Britain.

Or what about Queen Elizabeth - when is that coming out and is it worth waiting for?
The Queen Mary 2 is the best ship, it is the flag of the fleet. I have been on it four times and its the only way to go. Service impecable and the ambience is great. Food is excellent and organisation is good too.
Old March 4th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I agree, although there is nothing wrong with Queen Victoria as a cruise ship, but QM2 is the "liner" and she is one very impressive ship.

Old March 5th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Passenger

Default Queen mary 2 for me

Having been on both ships i prefer queen mary 2 not only does she have more to offer to her passengers but the grandeur once you step onboard queen amry 2 is overwhelming. Queen Victoria is a slightly smaller ship and has less amenities then Queen Mary2. Cant make a judgment on Queen Elizabeth as she isnt out yet. However as far as I am aware i think the 2010 maiden crusies are pretty well sold out I think you will have to wait for the 2011 itineraries to come out in April.
Old March 7th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I agree, "Grandeur" is the key word for QM2, however I think Queen Victoria is a very beautiful ship inside with a lot of features unique to Cunard - plenty of shipboard memorabilia, a beautiful two-story all wood library with a circular staircase. There is a lovely theater with box seats.

The only drawback I saw was that the storage space is somewhat limited in the staterooms. However, if you like Cunard and see an itinerary on Queen Victoria you like I would not hesitate to book it. It is a beautiful and efficient ship.

Old May 27th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I guess the answer is in the itineraries and sailing dates in Europe. Check the detailed Queen Mary 2 itinerary schedule, the Queen Elizabeth itinerary schedule and the Queen Victoria itinerary schedule - all with prices, so you can compare rates by month (cruise date).
For Europe I guess the other queens are better options than QM2, since QM offers predominantly TA crossings, and is more expensive. But Mary is the biggest - that's for sure!
Old June 1st, 2012, 07:11 PM
Admiral

As the thread is 2years old I bet he found out!!