Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Crystal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Familiar Face

Default I Love Crystal

If you have Crystal Questions at all please ask me - I think they are the best cruise line ever!

Seabourn 1995 - Carnival Elation 1996 - Sea Princess 1998 - Crystal Harmony 1998 - Grand Princess 1998 - Holland America Ryndam 1999 - Renaissance 2000 Oceania 2002 - Carnival Conquest 2004 - Pride of America 2005 - Emerald Princess 2006 - Crsytal Serenity June 2008
Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2010, 01:44 PM
First Mate

Such a discussion would be a great help for a newbie like me.

What do you like about Crystal?
Old January 14th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Familiar Face

Welll.... more specific questions would be better, but here goes.

Crystal is a luxury cruise line but it is different from the other luxury lines. They really put the focus on the most excellent food and service anywhere.

Their ships carry about 1000 people unlike other luxury cruise lines that only carry about 300. This means they can offer more fun activities onboard.

The food is by far the best I have had on any cruise line - I mean five-star better, a world of difference.

They have great lecturers like baseball players, world travelers, broadway show producers, etc.

I LOVE the alternative dining restaurant, the Asian one (I forget the name) has a menu by the famous Nobu. The Italian restaurant is so delicious I can't explain it.

The bathrooms are beautiful - walkin closets, jacuzzi tubs, four-jet showers, dual sinks. King-sized beds (not queens), balconies big enough to have breakfast on. Room service will bring you an entire meal and set up a table on the balcony.

The buffets have all the shrimp and crab you can eat, plus lobster claws. The pool area serves a fantastic 1-inch thick hamburger or a hot pizza.

The entertainment is top-rate, great dancing to a live band, etc.

Yes, it costs more, but a day at sea on Crystal is the best anywhere.

Seabourn 1995 - Carnival Elation 1996 - Sea Princess 1998 - Crystal Harmony 1998 - Grand Princess 1998 - Holland America Ryndam 1999 - Renaissance 2000 Oceania 2002 - Carnival Conquest 2004 - Pride of America 2005 - Emerald Princess 2006 - Crsytal Serenity June 2008
Old January 14th, 2010, 09:23 PM
First Mate

Thanks for the detail. This sounds like it would be a great fit for us. We like fine dining - if I pay for a meal, I want it to be better than what we cook at home: a tall order. The educational opportunities sound perfect for us. OK - Crystal is going on my list.
Old January 15th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Crystal is an excellent cruise line - I just took it last June. We had 4 NFL coaches onboard as speakers, plus political experts, a former M13 agent (the Brits CIA), Movie Producers...

They give music (piano) and language lessons, amnd have a great computer learning center.

This is a LUXURY line however, and is priced accordingly.

Rigfht now they have many specials offered, two for one pricing, two for one airfare, onboard credit, etc. It is a great time to try luxury right now, but keep in mind this is not a carnival cruise, you are paying a lot more.

FYI" Crystal Serenuty was refurbished in 2006 and Srystal Symphony just came out of refurbishment. The ships are in great shape and are beautiful.

This is a very classy cruise, with beautiful teas every day, people in real tuxedoes on formal night, etc. It is old-fashioned cruising with everything that people like about that.
Old January 15th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Familiar Face

Its a big step up from Carnival Fantasy - especially in pricing. You might want to think about something in the middle, better than Carnival but not quite Crystal quality...

You could try Celebrity, Princess or Holland America...

Or if you are more destination oriented you could look into some of the smaller ships like Oceana.

Old May 8th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Beginner

I* have been on lots of cruises,but never on Crystal,please talk to me,I might want to try it out, Margo
Old May 8th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Very good but extremely expensive, ok they include a lot but from UK we are talking thousands of POUNDS for a week
Old May 9th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Passenger

Question Crystal versus Silversea

Right now I am leaning toward Crystal because I read its ships have more activities and entertainment on board than the much smaller Silversea ships. However, the no-tipping policy, free laundry valet, open-seating dining room, larger suites, and lack of children's programs make me wonder how I can decide against Silversea. Why should I choose a Crystal ship when all of these benefits are lacking? Is Serenity's size enough to give an inexperienced solo cruiser a better vacation than Silversea's Silver Spirit?
Old January 7th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Admiral

I just saw an ad for Crystal in food and wine magazine. I had a look at their website this morning.

I like round-trip cruising, so I am flying in/out of the same port. Do the fares they post include airfare? Not sure how that works.

It looks like they mostly have longer itineraries .... something to put off for when we are retired, I guess.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 10th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hello: I'm sailing the Symphony on February 23. Can you please advise what women 'really' wear for dinner? Can I get away with fairly casual during the day? Thanks much,

Karen
Old January 11th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Depends on your definition of "fairly casual" - in reality, I would say you are better off going a little upscale on Crystal, just to be sure, Not dressed up like a tea party, but like you are going to lunch at a nice country club. The people are pretty "toney" most of the time.

Do expect formal wear at dinner on formal nights - otherwise nice spring dresses are fine, even pants suits, as long as they have a somewhat elegant look.

On deck shorts and blouses are ok, but dinner is a little dressier.
Old January 11th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Administrator
Admiral

If the fares include air they will say so, but in general with Crystal they do not. They do give massive onboard credits, though.
Old January 12th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks Paul. I think I'm right on point...Escada and St. John Knits for dinner it is :-)
Old January 15th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Familiar Face

Default Crystal or Silversea?

Having a hard time deciding on which one to go on. Price is not a factor. Wife loves wine and I like Baileys & Godiva (together).