Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Crystal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Admiral

Default Crystal's Best Feature?

In my experience, Crystal is unique in what it offers, the reason there are so many faithful repeaters. For me, the warmth of the staff is the best feature. What do you think makes this cruise line so special? I'd love to know.
www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: Crystal's Best Feature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Campbell
In my experience, Crystal is unique in what it offers, the reason there are so many faithful repeaters. For me, the warmth of the staff is the best feature. What do you think makes this cruise line so special? I'd love to know.
The great cabins with the double sinks and hige tubs. The beds are so comfortable you could sleep for days. And caviar from room servcie is a plus, too.
Old January 15th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Admiral

Caviar, yes. But on Crystal there's an extra charge. Not so on Radisson, Silversea or Seabourn. But it's a small point when factoring in the warmest staff I've ever seen. Love all the on-board lectures and enrichment programs!
www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old January 16th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Passenger

Anne, I must respectfully disagree with you on your remark that Crystal charges for caviar. Having just returned from a cruise on the Symphony, and will be leaving on my 15th cruise, again on the Symphony, Crystal never has charged for caviar. I ordered it on many nights in the dining room when it wasn't on the menu, and I also ordered it from my room stewardess and there never has been a charge.

But I was charged for caviar delivered to my suite on Radisson Voyager.
Old January 16th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcie61
Anne, I must respectfully disagree with you on your remark that Crystal charges for caviar. Having just returned from a cruise on the Symphony, and will be leaving on my 15th cruise, again on the Symphony, Crystal never has charged for caviar. I ordered it on many nights in the dining room when it wasn't on the menu, and I also ordered it from my room stewardess and there never has been a charge.

But I was charged for caviar delivered to my suite on Radisson Voyager.
Just goes to show you that things can change. I remember eating a ton of free caviar on Radisson. Thank you for the update!
Old January 16th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Passenger

Paul, there wasn't a charge for caviar in the main dining room on the Voyager, but they did charge me when I ordered it in my suite. I was surprised by the charge, and I hope it wasn't a mistake and I shouldn't have been charged in the first place.
Old January 5th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Beginner

I have only been on two cruises, both of them with Crystal. I think one of the best things Crystal offers is it's "life of the mind".

The on board courses are interesting and well taught, the library is up to date and loaded with interesting books, and busy all day and all evening. Both trips had interesting lecturers who walked over to the coffee lounge with those of us who had more questions, and extended themselves to the shipboard audience.

The last cruise had a film group, the Floating Film Festival, adressing the work of Gena Rowland, who was on board and, I have to say very beautiful, and who looked like she was having a great time with the Festival attendees. I believe the organizer of this festival has just passed away so the attendees were uncertain that it would repeat on Crystal. But they were very much a working group,viewing two films a day.

Another contributer mentioned that on Crystal people remain in their dinner clothes for the rest of the evening, not many t shirts and tennis shoes at night.

The food was just delicious at every meal, the on board special restaurants were great, the service was tremendous in every way. The shore excursions were very good with one exception and that was the tour guide who thought he was a real comedian, a joke a minute, instead of enlightening us about what we were seeing. But he was the only one like that.

Also re the shore excursions the Crystal has their own tenders, so there is no waiting.

One thing I noticed about Crystal, the people who work in the shops and the staff seem quite happy, you could hear them talk amongst themselves sometimes, "I'm so excited about the show tonight", and the shows were great. A positive staff in every way. Room attendants great, spa staff great and highly responsive. One spa person told me they were so besieged with massage requests, more than usual, and they were picking up a masseuse at the next port to add to the spa staff for the rest of the cruise. I also liked the walk on water program. Weighted vests, for walking the decks.

The ships are elegant but the crowd is a little on the elegant side too, in their manners and style. Just lovely in every way.

Pure pleasure from start to finish and I hated to leave the ship.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 07:09 PM
Beginner

While although the service is impeccable the food is truely world class. They always have a broad range of adult activities while on-board to keep one occupied or weather permitting just relaxing on the deck with a good book.

We always joke about leaving the ship and being launched back into reality where no one knows your name and every little detail is not anticipated with a smile. I've had the good fortune to make about 10 sailings on-board Crystal and each disembarkation produces a profound sense of loss that is only mitigated by securing an on-board future booking discount for another trip into cruise paradise. No kidding.
Old April 15th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Beginner

I liked the water.
Old November 17th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default was that really Tom Cruise?

Anyway - the caviar on Crystal is "free" in your stateroom and it is delicious. Just take a look at the our pictures: