Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Crystal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 19th, 2005, 12:45 AM
Mr. Happy

Default Crytal cruises

I went on Carnival and disliked it greatly. I am looking for the absolute best cruising experience money can buy, aside from renting my own yatch.

Can anyone offer some insight, as I will be on another cruise and I have a cultivated palette. I appreciate the finer things and don't want to be bothered on board by silly activities, second rate entertainment, day-long onboard announcements, banquet cuisine, hard beds, noise early in the morning, pushy sales on the ship and all the other annoyances one might experience on a lesser line like Carnival.

Is Crystal a good bet?

Thanks,

Mr. Happy
Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Domino

Default Re: Crytal cruises

I have not been on Crystal but just got back from a Silversea Cruise. Food was fantastic and service was great. Rooms are all suites. Very, very good experience.

Maybe take a look at that board. But I am sure people will give you rave reviews about Crystal too.
Old February 4th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Bette

Crystal is probably the best idea for you. Nothing like Carnival or any of the mass market lines. Excellent food and service, wonderful itineraries, cultivated travelers, no announcements, excellent alternate restaurants, and a crew where the word "no" isn't in their vocabulary.

Unlike Carnival, Crystal is the most formal of all the cruise lines. Most men wear tuxes or dinner jackets, and the ladies wear gowns on formal nights. No going back to the room to change after dinner as Crystal asks you remain dressed in the code of the evening. So, if you don't mind a more formal experience, Crystal is for you.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 04:01 PM
get real

You are comparing a Chevy pick up to a Mercedes convertible. If you are really looking for something that high end, how on earth did you end up on Carnival?! ANY travel periodical will tell you that.

If you are that picky about things, worrying about a hard bed, stay home. Nothing compares to your own things. Travel is for those that are openminded and like to experience DIFFERNT things!
Old June 15th, 2005, 10:01 PM
joyce chen

Default Re: Crystal cruises

We love Crystal. Just returned from a Mediterranean cruise, and I can assure you that it was "top notch" in every way. Rooms are spacious. We had a king size bed. The staff was gracious and eager to please. Entertainment just couldn't have been better. The entertainers were accomplished singers and dancers and presented fabulous shows. I'm a musician, and I can attest to their talent and professionalism.

Food? Not only quantity, but quality. You mentioned not liking buffets. You haven't been to a Crystal Buffet. I'm generally not a buffet person, but with the high quality and variety on Crystal, you couldn't possibly be unhappy. This is not your high starch potato salad and macaroni buffet. And the dining room is literally a five star restaurant. Every meat and dish we had was of top quality and perfectly prepared.

No big sales pitches. No charges for soft drinks and eating in speciality restaurants. A tip is suggested in speciality restaurants. You'll pay more, but you will be happy you chose this line. No, I don't work for Crystal!!!
Old August 7th, 2005, 02:29 PM
homer

Crustal was rated #1 large luxury line aGAIN...it is fabulous..

we have a fun group going on the September 3, 17 day sailing from Southhampton to nYC with ports in scotland, iceland, greenland, and newfoundland...great rate! if you want to go, let me know, i will get you details! no comparison with carnival.
Old October 5th, 2006, 12:28 AM
Familiar Face

Default Crystal?

Yes do try Crystal but also try Celebrity. Have done 5 with Celebrity--two two weekers as well. They are really a step above. Avoid Norwegian like the plague.
Old October 5th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Administrator
Admiral

There are an excellent series of articles on the Cruisemates Homepage that should give you some great ideas and good information on the luxury lines.

Paul did a very good job of comparing the different lines.

If you haven't seen them, here is the link:

Cruisemates Home Page

Enjoy

Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 22nd, 2007, 05:50 PM
Beginner

About the Reviewer:Age:65+Cruise Experience:7+ cruisesTraveler Type:CoupleStateroom Type:BalconyEmperors clothes
by anubis f from L A
Destination: Europe - E. Mediterranean
Sailing date: October 2007

Pros:food
Cons:small cabin, very high price,service not personal enough,smoking,small wine list

Just terribly overpriced for the money. Oceania is a far better deal. This line is a cult. I may be the only curmudgeon here. If you expect to get really first class service, forget it.
>> edit review
Old May 2nd, 2010, 01:12 AM
Passenger

Question Port days and shore excursions

Everything I read about "the Crystal experience" is great, but one of the most important factors when selecting a specific cruise is how long the ship will be anchored on port days. I am a night owl, so I can't get up early, eat a big breakfast, and see everythinmg I want to in a few hours. I also walk slow and can't drive, so being hurried is not an option. Therefore, I need a good idea of how much time I will have in port. Do Crystal's ships tend to stay docked until after sunset? Or are most port calls so short I can get back in time for the early seating at the main dining room? I know it is not the same every day, but can somebody give me a general estimate?