CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   The 30 pound suitcase - can it be done (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/384038-30-pound-suitcase-can-done.html)

green_rd August 1st, 2011 09:02 AM

The 30 pound suitcase - can it be done

We are booked for a 6 day cruise NYC to San Juan with two days pre-cruise and two days post-cruise. The cruise is in late October so we will have cool to cold weather at home. We are considering a side trip to Vieques while in Puerto Rico. One of the "airlines' has a 30 lb pp limit. How do we pack for this one?

Donna August 1st, 2011 09:28 AM

Wow, I have a tough time with the 50 pounds as it is. I would say a good deal of mix and matching clothes and planning on doing some laundry at some point during the trip.

anniegb August 1st, 2011 09:49 AM

I have managed to work with a 10kg luggage allowance for 10 days. So that is my blueprint.

I find footwear to be the heaviest item and I wear my heaviest clothes whilst travelling and minimise footwear.

As Donna says mix and match does it - and I rotate my outfits. I have never been forced to do laundry yet but would if required.

Do you have a carry-on allowance in addition?

Annie

Trip August 1st, 2011 12:21 PM

Take advantage of the sales now,and your closet, to make a 2 color wardrobe...look at lightweight sweaters for layering. If you make it that simple, you will be able to get many outfits,and look good!. Rememebr maybe you carry on can hold a few items too.

johnthed0g August 1st, 2011 12:36 PM

Difficult on P&O with 3 dress codes, two that require a jacket for men.

Rev22:17 August 1st, 2011 07:06 PM

green_rd,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You (Post 1384493)
We are booked for a 6 day cruise NYC to San Juan with two days pre-cruise and two days post-cruise. The cruise is in late October so we will have cool to cold weather at home. We are considering a side trip to Vieques while in Puerto Rico. One of the "airlines' has a 30 lb pp limit. How do we pack for this one?

There are two options.

>> 1. You can say "Thanks, but no thanks!" very clearly to the offending airline, then proceed to book on a competitor that does not have such an absurd limit.

>> 2. You can arrange to store your cruise luggage somewhere during your side trip to Vieques and take just an overnignt bag with you on the side trip.

With respect to the latter, I'm not sure where "somewhere" is.

Norm.

Lakers Fan August 1st, 2011 11:59 PM

A guy that I used to work with took a minimal amount of clothes and bought additional clothes at each port he stopped in .Going home he deleted clothing .

LisaK August 2nd, 2011 11:04 AM

mix and match your outfits, wear your lightweight sweater on the airplane, limit your shoes - wear your sneakers/walking shoes, pack one pair dress shoes/sandals,one pair of water sandals/shoes one pair casual shoes/sandals, stuff your carry-on to the limits of what it will hold. Plan on doing some laundry at some point in time, buy cheap t-shirts on board and on the islands, leave them behind on the ship.