Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 4th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Admiral

Default Hawaiian dress on formal night

I was skipping around the internet like I do. I found a great site for Hawaiian Dresses and they are so nice. I wondered can you wear something like this on formal night on a Caribbean or Hawaiian Cruise? Or is this to causal? Here are some of the dresses I like.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Is this for a man or a woman?

Red is my color. but I love the pink orchids!
Old November 5th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
Is this for a man or a woman?

Red is my color. but I love the pink orchids!
I'm glad you like the red dress it's the only one that has orchids. The white dress has pink hibiscus not orchids. An orchid is the only flower with a lip. In fact the red dress has Cattleya orchid to be exact. This is one of my cattleya orchids. I think you would look wonderful in the red dress on formal night.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 5th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am thinking of wearing a Saree. I have to get my Choli and petticoat first however. Its being sent from Pakistan and I hope it gets here before my cruise in Feb.

Old November 5th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbowman
I am thinking of wearing a Saree. I have to get my Choli and petticoat first however. Its being sent from Pakistan and I hope it gets here before my cruise in Feb.
I have seen some absolutely wonderful formal Saree's on my cruises as well as formal occasions at work. I hope you get everything in time. I would love to see pictures.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old November 5th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Passenger

Default Hawaiian Formals

All of the dresses you show would be considered a "formal" muumuu here in Hawaii and acceptable at any formal occasion (wedding, banquet, etc) so I say go for it!

Aloha,
Kat

Aruba Travel Tips

St. Maarten Resort Reviews
Old November 5th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina
Quote:
I have seen some absolutely wonderful formal Saree's on my cruises as well as formal occasions at work. I hope you get everything in time. I would love to see pictures.
I bought a Salwaar Kamezz on Ebay that I can use on shore. Its very pretty but not formal pretty. The Saree I bought, I actally got at a thrift store. I could not belive the quality. Its a dark dark blue with a goldish trim. I have to learn how to properly tie it too! I have been watching video's on Youtube to learn. I have friends who live in Pakistan and they are getting me the Choli and pettycoat. And I will post photos when I return!

Old November 5th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I bought a Salwaar Kamezz on Ebay that I can use on shore. Its very pretty but not formal pretty. The Saree I bought, I actally got at a thrift store. I could not belive the quality. Its a dark dark blue with a goldish trim. I have to learn how to properly tie it too! I have been watching video's on Youtube to learn. I have friends who live in Pakistan and they are getting me the Choli and pettycoat. And I will post photos when I return!
I haircut in Fremont California there are large Pakistan and Indian commuities there. They have the best Fabric stores. I loved to go in an buy stuff. I did look at Sarees on the internet and also Asian dresses. I like stuff that is interesting beautiful and has a history and culture behind it. My Mom's family comes from the big island of Hawaii. That is what made me good for Hawaiian inspired dresses.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 5th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Hawaiian Formals

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiKat
All of the dresses you show would be considered a "formal" muumuu here in Hawaii and acceptable at any formal occasion (wedding, banquet, etc) so I say go for it!

Aloha,
Kat
That is great to know. My Aunt Pasty made my mom a formal red muumuu in the style of the Blue dress below. My mom's dress even has a train. If I were quite a bit skinnier I would wear that. I have it in my closet. She was going to give it away. I want to get a shadow box and display it. The dresses on this website I found come in the larger sizes.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 6th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I haircut in Fremont California there are large Pakistan and Indian commuities there. They have the best Fabric stores. I loved to go in an buy stuff. I did look at Sarees on the internet and also Asian dresses. I like stuff that is interesting beautiful and has a history and culture behind it. My Mom's family comes from the big island of Hawaii. That is what made me good for Hawaiian inspired dresses.
Ohh Gosh me too. We are suppose to go to Pakistan in May (depending on the stability of the country at the time) and I cant wait to go shopping! We are going to Faislabad and its suppose to be the best shopping district in Pakistan. My friends think I am wierd for wearing things that they consider foregin...I love it. I love being different. I just want to make sure that when I wear it I bring honor to the culture and make sure that I wear it correctly. I am sure that i would love he Hawaian dresses also, so flowing and lose, seems that it would be uber comfortable!

Old November 6th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

Here is the one I bought from Ebay....sorry the photo is so large.

Old November 6th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Admiral

That is really beautiful I love the color and the embroidery on it.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 6th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Admiral

any of those hawaiian print dressess would be perfect for formal night, i really like the red one with the orchids and the white one with the pink hibiscus on it. pair them up with a pair of strappy sandals and you are good to go
Old November 6th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Hawaiian dress on formal night

katlady,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I was skipping around the internet like I do. I found a great site for Hawaiian Dresses and they are so nice. I wondered can you wear something like this on formal night on a Caribbean or Hawaiian Cruise? Or is this to causal?
This probably depends, at least to some extent, on the line on which you are cruising. A dress that's quite acceptable for the dressy evenings on Carnival might not be appropriate for a "formal" evening on Celebrity, for example.

But JTOL, all of these dresses would be absolutely fabulous for the "Island Night" deck party on Caribbean, Panama Canal, and Hawai'ian cruises....

Norm.
Old November 6th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
katlady,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I was skipping around the internet like I do. I found a great site for Hawaiian Dresses and they are so nice. I wondered can you wear something like this on formal night on a Caribbean or Hawaiian Cruise? Or is this to causal?
This probably depends, at least to some extent, on the line on which you are cruising. A dress that's quite acceptable for the dressy evenings on Carnival might not be appropriate for a "formal" evening on Celebrity, for example.

But JTOL, all of these dresses would be absolutely fabulous for the "Island Night" deck party on Caribbean, Panama Canal, and Hawai'ian cruises....

Norm.
What is it that makes them not right for Celebrity cruise to the Caribbean? Most are floor legth some are silk or Rayon and some are cotton. So is it the print? The dress below is silk, not a print and a similar design to the red dress would this be okay on Celebrity?

What about this one it's the same design and the white one with pink hibiscus, only difference is it's solid white.

What about this one it's solid white also. But it's cotton.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 7th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Pattizoo

I really like the white ones- they seem a bit dressier than the red and blue ones. I would wear any of them however, on a Baja or Caribbean cruise. A very good idea, in fact! We are in the planning stages of a Baja and I think I will shake out a couple of my more formal muumuus- been at the back of my closet for almost 30 years, but they never go out of style!
Old November 7th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I like the two that are on the right, the ones with no color choice. The white one is quite lovely!!!!

You would definitely stand out and look Hawaiian in a dress like that....I'd have to dress in a tent style muumuu if I went Hawaiian...me no skinny...

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old November 7th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
I like the two that are on the right, the ones with no color choice. The white one is quite lovely!!!!

You would definitely stand out and look Hawaiian in a dress like that....I'd have to dress in a tent style muumuu if I went Hawaiian...me no skinny...
Me no skinny also that is why the website has dresses up to a size 4X. The first white dress goes up to a 4x that second white dress goes up to a 3x.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 7th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Admiral

Katlady,

what site did you find those dresses? I am thinking of getting a couple of Haawaiian dresses myself and I too am plus size.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old November 7th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlb1050
Katlady,

what site did you find those dresses? I am thinking of getting a couple of Haawaiian dresses myself and I too am plus size.
I will PM it to you I don't want to put a commerical website into a link.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 7th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Admiral

thanks.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Admiral

katlady,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
What is it that makes them not right for Celebrity cruise to the Caribbean? Most are floor legth some are silk or Rayon and some are cotton. So is it the print? The dress below is silk, not a print and a similar design to the red dress would this be okay on Celebrity?
Celebrity tends to be dressier than other lines, so a formal dress really is in order. I refrained from commenting specifically about the pictured dresses because I could not tell what length they were very precisely from the photos. If they are long, they might be okay... but the print and the style of the dresses in the OP do feel a bit casual for a Celebrity formal night to me.

Norm.
Old November 18th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Admiral

Personally, I think they would be fine. For Celebrity, I would go for one of the solid color ones, but I also think the red one is knockout. Some folks tend to want us all to dress to the nines in order to "fit in". My approach is that I worry a LOT more about whether I will fit into the dress!
Marty
Old November 19th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Admiral

Kat - all the dresses are beautiful and if it were me I'd being wearing a different one every night!!

I'd love the website if you don't mind sending - my problem is I'm short and not as skinny as I'd like!
Old November 19th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamamomma
Kat - all the dresses are beautiful and if it were me I'd being wearing a different one every night!!

I'd love the website if you don't mind sending - my problem is I'm short and not as skinny as I'd like!
I PM'd you the websites. Happy shopping.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 23rd, 2008, 03:00 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
I was skipping around the internet like I do. I found a great site for Hawaiian Dresses and they are so nice. I wondered can you wear something like this on formal night on a Caribbean or Hawaiian Cruise? Or is this to causal? Here are some of the dresses I like.
I love them all, next question... shoes!! What type of shoes will you be wearing?? s0s

December 2008 Carnival Freedom
July 2007 Carnival Holiday

Time for another "fix"........
Old November 24th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Admiral

I like these to go with the red.

This with the solid white.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 8th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Beginner

Hi Katlady,
I LOVE the dresses you have picked out! Can you tell me what websites you used? I have spotted the Hawaiian ones myself when I was purusing the web, but I am most interested in the second set of pics you post with the light green dress.

Thank you! You can email me the website if you prefer.

Old January 12th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by clcousino
Hi Katlady,
I LOVE the dresses you have picked out! Can you tell me what websites you used? I have spotted the Hawaiian ones myself when I was purusing the web, but I am most interested in the second set of pics you post with the light green dress.

Thank you! You can email me the website if you prefer.

I sent you a PM with two links, the first one is directly to the green dress. Check your PM's on this website. Sorry for the delay.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 12th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Passenger

I'd love to know the website for the dresses too! Thank you