Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 29th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to samngeo Send a message via Yahoo to samngeo
Default Alaska clothes in late August

I am used to cruising 2 to 3 times a year to a warm climate with my wife. We are no longer together, but I have no intention of giving up cruising.

Since single supplements are just about as expensive as paying for two anyway, I figured I would just pay a little more and take both of my parents with me on their first ever cruise.

Since they both are more comfortable in the cooler seasons, they are not real big on the idea of going to a tropical area. This gives me the excuse to try my first Alaska cruise.

My only problem is that I have no idea what to pack for this cruise going from Seattle to Skagway. All of my experiences relate to the Caribbean and Hawaii. They are going to be asking me what to pack and I am going to look like an idiot who has cruised 10 times and still can't answer this simple sounding question.

Do they have scuba diving, or snorkling, or excursions that get into the ocean at all on cruises to Alaska? Is there any use in packing a swimming suit?

Will I need a jacket, or sweatshirt, or any long-sleeved shirts or pants to stay warm in?
During August, will it be warm enough to wear shorts all day?

As you can see, I am completely clueless about what to expect for this cruise. Please someone help me out with this.

Post Edited (04-29-05 19:23)

Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Andee

Default Re: Alaska clothes in late August

In a word---layers! Bring both long pants and shorts, short sleeve shirts and long, micro fleece tops, a lightweight water proof or water repellant hooded jacket, thin gloves and an ear band. To me, the bathing suit is a necessity for the hot tub.
Old May 15th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Passenger

We went to alaska a few years ago in August. We actually had wonderful weather compared to what is "usual". In Skagway and Ketchikan, it was sunny, and we could have worn shorts and a light jacket. I freeze easily, so I always had a jacket and pants, but my teenagers wore shorts. On those days, they also went in the pool and hot tubs. they were heated on our cruise (NCL SKy). Cruising through the glaciers it was drizzling and chilly. I had on rain coat over a polartec jacket and was wishing i had gloves! I don't know about anything in the water other than deep sea fishing. There might be some scuba type thing. You should be able to get a list of shore excursions offered by your ship.

Take the swimsuit, take shorts, but also take pants, rain jacket and sweatshirts. Have fun!
Old May 15th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

There are some packing tips in this Alaska guide for 2005 that should be helpfull along with some more good info:

Alaska Planning Guide - 2005

Enjoy, I bet the parents love this cruise and you too!

Message Boards Moderator