I'm planning my next cruise in November 2012 (Carnival Valor) but I'm a little worried about what I will be able to eat. Since September of last year I have been vegan about 90% of the time, the other 10% I'm strict vegetarian (no meat ever not even fish). I "slip" up on eggs and dairy usually. I wouldn't mind eating strict vegetarian on the cruise but would prefer vegan. Any advice? Should I inform my head waiter, what if we do "your time dining", how will the buffets stack up, what about late night eating like pizza!! Oh my what am I going to do.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I lost 10 lbs on my Carnival cruise just 11 weeks ago because they had some delicious vegan choices. My favorite was from the room service menu!! Portobello mushroom, thick slices of fresh mozzarella, pesto sauce and I believe tomato if I remember correctly. All served on fresh Focaccia bread. To die for!! I had to have one just about every day. I also had a side of fruit and veggies. The veggie bowl on room service menu was fresh and wonderful. I am still trying to find a certain vegetable they served me. Of course there are abundant fresh veggie/salad selections on the buffet every day and if I recall, I think there is vegan pizza at the pizza place on board. Have fun!
Thanks that helps to ease my mind a little bit. I have been on two Carnival cruises but I always ate whatever and lots of it so I never really paid attention to see if there were vegetarian or vegan options. I'm just going to tell my waiter I PREFER vegan but as long as it is meat free I'll be happy to eat it. That way he can tell me the vegan options but I'm not super limited.
If they put mozzarella cheese on it then it's no longer vegan.
There are many vegan choices on board and the best are in the buffet. You should inform the cruise line about your dietary requirement before you sail for the best results. Your dietary options will be available even in open seating. Just let them know when you request your table. It is also one of the reasons they swipe your card when you request the table.
__________________ Cruisemates Community Leader/Moderator
"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me
The menu items are the same for standard and your time dining in the MDR. So no advantage to disadvantage to your choice there.
A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014