Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 5th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Beginner

Default Spa work with Steiner??

I am interested in working on a steiner cruiseship, However I have had so many mixed reports from people. I know it is hard work but is steiner a good company? Is the work really like slavery? And is the money good?

Can any one help??

Thanks in advance

Ps. What is it like working as a therapist?
Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Steiner just bought out our spas and I just want to say that within a year our salary was cut TWICE!!! This company raised the price of our services to then turn around and cut our pay!! Not to mention, they added longer work weeks and business hours in addition to more techs now our books are practically empty. We are commission based employees only so we basically work for free!!! They capped our commission and we only get a raise every 3 years!!! YOU ARE UP FOR A RAISE ONLY IF YOU FALL UNDER A CERTAIN TIER!!! THE COMMISSION HAS BEEN BROUGHT DOWN TO 26% from 30% in one year!!! THEY HAVE ALSO REQUIRED US TO PAY MORE ON OUR HEALTHCARE! This company is pure evil, their response is if you don't like it leave. When they cut our pay the first time an employee asks if execs pay were cut as well and she was reamed by human resources and the regional manager for mentioning it. I hope steiner execs burns in hell. They use fear tactics to manage employees and treat us like second class disposable citizens. We are nothing but slaves for them.
Old December 21st, 2011, 12:31 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Agreed! Worst company ever - was actually voted as such a few years back. Young people working like dogs for 7.5 commission.... wish id have looked into reviews on it before I went! They are ruthless - they lost a contract on a very big cruise line whilst i was there and I hope they lose many more! My cruise had a target of $100,000, so if you divide that by 7.5% then all they pay out to staff is $13,333 - the $87,000 is practically full profit for them! And that is every FIVE days....
Old June 13th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Familiar Face

Ooooooowowww! Those are negative comment for sure!

I worked for Steiner two contracts. I agree that they do see their employees as numbers a lot of the time...but they have created some of the most successful business executives, therapists and managers...

You will work a lot. I was a massage therapist and on a Sea Day I would give 8 to 10 massages. But I made GREAT tips and brought home a great ammount of money.

Especially with working on a ship...the company (Steiner) needs to give a HUGE portion of what they make to the CRUISE LINE. That's why the commission is lower on board. Also you're not paying for room/board/food...etc.

Slavery? No...lots of work with some tough love from managers and trainers...yeah....you will get pressured to sell/recommend homecare to clients. This is a business tactic that in the Spa industry you will find everywhere.

If you can sell...your job will be easier. But even if you can't...just seperate the work and the fun and you'll have an amazing contract and a GREAT company to put on your resume.

I recommend Steiner.

lepajessi.blogspot.com

Ships worked on:

Silver Seas Shadow
Celebrity Millennium
Caribbean Princess
Celebrity Summit

http://www.lepajessi.blogspot.com
http://www.youtube.com/lepajessi
http://www.lepajessi.com (Under Construction)
Old October 31st, 2012, 10:14 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default what do I expect?

I'm getting ready to do an interview with Steiner in Vegas! goes anyone have any tips on what to expect or what they are looking for in a stylist?
Old February 26th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Familiar Face

@Boewinkle; Just make sure you convey confidence and can speak in public, your main job will be selling, be aware of that..

I've worked for Steiner as personal trainer for 8 months.
It is great opportunity, but it is def not for everybody. Also I had some ethics issues, that is my reason why i am not returning. I've written my entire experience down in a blog; Information about working as Personal Trainer on Cruise Ships: Home

Unlike some others, I have finished my contract and can give you a unbiased and honest opinion of the company and the work. Because there is a lot of false information on different websites and from different people.
There is a lot of anger from people that did not finish the training or the contract, and also a lot of extremely positive information from people that see everything trough pink glasses or never ran into trouble, or just never had many problems with ethical issues.

Also, lately I've gotten a lot of questions about working as a personal trainer, so if you have any questions, just let me know, i will happily answer them for you trough the website: Information about working as Personal Trainer on Cruise Ships: Home.
Old July 6th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasha85 View Post
Agreed! Worst company ever - was actually voted as such a few years back. Young people working like dogs for 7.5 commission.... wish id have looked into reviews on it before I went! They are ruthless - they lost a contract on a very big cruise line whilst i was there and I hope they lose many more! My cruise had a target of $100,000, so if you divide that by 7.5% then all they pay out to staff is $13,333 - the $87,000 is practically full profit for them! And that is every FIVE days....
Everything is correct,except that 7,5 % of $100 000 is nothing other than $7 500 and the rest does not go to Steiner . 50 % of the profit is for the cruise line which provides the spa facilities, rooms, bed , etc and the rest $42 500 is for Steiner.