Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 25th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Admiral

Default A Fascinating Piece of Trivia

Everyone knows I'm a history buff. Part of the reason for that is because I live in what everyone in this area hoped would be the 14th State. The only problem is, it no longer exists. It was known as the State of Franklin the Capitol of which was the small town in which I reside. What is now East Tennessee was orginally part of North Carolina. The reason this area seceeded from North Carolina was because while it paid taxes to Raleigh, the mountains prevented any meaningful services from getting to The State of Franklin.

Now I have to say, I would be stunned if anyone knows this off the top of their head (I certainly didn't) and that is where is the original Liberty Bell located??? Obviously it isn't Boston. It is in the first Capitol of the State of Illinois, the city of Katkachia (I think I spelled it correctly). Long before St. Louis, it was a thriving city that was the original Gateway to the West. What happened to it? In a way it still exists. Katkachia is now an island just off the edge of Illinois in the Mississippi river and therein lies the reason Illinois's Capitol is now Springfield. A Mississippi flood permanently caused the parting of the Capitol Katkachia from the mainland. For obvious reasons, it could no longer be the Capitol. Only about nine households currently reside on the island including the home of the first Governor of Illinois in which the Katkachia Sheriff's mother now resides. While the island is part of Illinois it has a Missouri zip code because all mail for it funnels through Missouri. Yet the residents have Illinois Driver's Licenses! The sheriff said that residents often have trouble renewing their licenses because of the zip code. You'd think that for heaven's sake, everyone in the DMV would be aware of all of this. Obviously they are not.

At the time that France sold the middle part of the country to the United States (for even then, the bargain basement price of 15 million) the King of France presented to the now island the first Liberty Bell, eleven years before the one we know was even cast! "Our" Liberty Bell not only looks like the one on the island, it even has an identical crack in it!!! The only difference is it's much smaller than the one that identifies our country.

There are of course many who would say, "So who cares?" However I believe most Cruisemates would find this little piece of our geographical trivia as fascinating as do I. Another one I'll leave to you to ponder (learned the above and the following on The History Channel) and that is where and how did the time honored phrase, "Don't pull my chain!" originate?

Oh, by the way, the Earth is not round and original State and National boundaries are not straight, even though on a map they are straight.
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean

Last edited by ToddDH; November 25th, 2012 at 06:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old November 25th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Admiral

I find all trivia fascinating Todd, and I never cease to learn something new every week at trivia in the pub! You'd be surprised the amount of American trivia we Canadians know!

donna
Old November 25th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Interesting. I love history and trivia.

Did anyone follow the series: "How the States got their shape"

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old November 25th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Admiral

Snoozeman, that is where I made this discovery. While I've seen a lot of episodes which are not only informative but fun wherein the host interviews two people asking them questions, I had never seen a dedicated version as this show is. Is this something I missed or have you (or anyone for that matter) seen it previously?
Old November 25th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Admiral

Todd, I think some of my ancestors made that crossing from NC into Eastern TN. The tax issue may explain that.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old November 26th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Admiral

I think that's why your story seemed familiar. I've seen very episode I believe. Had them on VCR for a while.

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old November 26th, 2012, 02:29 AM
Admiral

BTW Snoozeman I'll try joggling your memory as I believe it was at least a two hour episode and it had already started but I think I got into it early enough. For those who can remember who saw it if it was previously telecast, that little log cabin behind which you see cars parked in a lower parking lot is a reproduction of the original State House is near the center of town. His home was down a hill on West Main street across from which a close family friend a couple of years older than I now resides. Her father once owned the local hospital.

As the host pointed out, David Crockett (he was never called "Davey" nor did he ever wear a coonskin cap.....for which he became famous because of Walt Disney, was not born on a mountain top but rather along the banks of the Nolichucky River. I live about twenty miles downstream and two streets away from the river.

The Cumberland Presbyterian Church located at the corner of Main and Church streets still has a cannon ball lodged in it that you can see from the street. Around the corner on the far side of West Church Street is the Episcopal Church at which I am a communicant has a relatively small balcony. That originally was where the slaves sat. Up there is also the original church organ from I think the late 1850's and would you believe it still works although it is not used.

Alongside the church are several parking lots going up the hill that were the extensive gardens of the Williams Mansion that has been completely restored and that when built, was the largest and most beautiful house in Tennessee.

The night of 3 September 1962 they had an overnight guest, the famous Confederate raider Known as the Thunderbolt of the Confederacy, General John Hunt Morgan. His men were bivouaced in those gardens were surprised in the early morning by Union Cavalry rolling out of Knoxville under the command of Union General Gillem who had been tipped that his heretofore nemesis was in Greeneville. They surprised the Confederates and the battle was brief. During the raid, Morgan dashed from the house with his Colt Revolver and was almost immediately wounded. Although chivalry was often present on both sides during much of the war, this wasn't one of them. They in effect filled Morgan full of lead as he lay on the ground.

One last thing. Andrew Johnson, who succeeded Lincoln following his assassination had long been a tailor in Greeneville, then Mayor. He is often rated as among the worst Presidents and that is what most civil war buff's believe. Such is not the case. He was the first President in US History that was impeached but like Clinton not convicted. He also wasn't by far the worst President. He is best remembered as it were for two things. He literally freed more slaves than Lincoln and also was President when we bought Alaska from Russia...at the time known as "Seward's Folly" after the then Secretary of State who also served under Lincoln. Following his term of office Johnson returned to Greeneville and was elected to Congress (being the only President to hold Federal Office following his Presidency in our country's history)! When PBS did their series on the Presidents about 12 years ago they brought along their vaunted Presidential historian who allegedly knew more about Johnson than anyone else in the country. Picture that! Local historian Dr. Robert Orr, a mountain of a man (Bob is a friend of mine) while doing it politely, I guess you'd be safe in saying, ate the man's lunch on live TV. A full over half of the man's facts wee untrue and his dates were so out of whack that even the local high school students that day probably knew more important facts than did he. It truly was nothing short of devastating and actually became embarrassing for PBS's "expert Historian." C'est la guerre'!

I was watching it live on PBS and was almost howing I was laughing so hard!

Johnson died in the 1870's and is buried in the National Cemetery that bears his name where also my wife now lies and where I shall one day be buried as well. It's gorgeous and it doesn't cost anything to be buried there. You only have to be an Armed Forces Vet or a nationally known poltical bigshot. You don't even pay for the opening of the grave. I guess I'm just a cheap SOB.

Finally, we have one of the best local museums in the country. For those who love American History, you would be well served to drop by our little town if you even come close. We are very proud to be the smallest town in the country to have a naval vessel named after it, the nuclear powered attack Submarine USS Greeneville based in Hawaii.
Old November 26th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Admiral

Todd, count me among those who enjoy trivia as well. Afterall, those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old November 26th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Admiral

Yes I've been to Greeneville a few times and once to the cemetery to see the A.Johnson grave. My family were among the Unionists of E. Tenn. and joined the local regiment during the unpleasantness.

Very familiar with they Crockett famliy and their orgin in that area. The direct descendents are literally my neighbors, we share a fence line. They are still 'huntin' fools' and quite good at it.

Actually several ex Presidents served in the Federal gov'ts after office. John Q Adams comes to mind as he served in the House for many years. Pres Tyler was elected to the Confederate congress. I believe another became a Judge.

Future Cruises:
Old November 26th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Admiral

I forgot that John Quincy Adams also was elected to Congress. BTW, I didn't mean worked for the Federal Government in any capacity but held Federal or local elective office following their Presidency.

If you ever return for heaven's sake call me as I live just across the Nolichucky but toward the other end of the county. At least now you are familiar with where I'll be planted.