Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 2nd, 2004, 07:38 AM
First Mate

Default Do Carsick and Seasick Go Hand In Hand?

What exactly are the symtoms of being seasick? Do most people that suffer from seasickness also experience car sickness? My son or I never get carsick, so does that mean we probably will not experience any problems with being seasick? Don't 'blast' me, I have never cruised before. I purchased some bonine to take on my first cruise on 8/15, now I wonder if I should get the patch.
Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2004, 07:59 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Do Carsick and Seasick Go Hand In Hand?

Have you ever been on a boat at all? Like on a lake or a river?

Robin

Costa Atlantica 3/2004
Brilliance 2/2005
Brilliance 2/2006
Brilliance 2/2007
Explorer 2/2008
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:03 AM
First Mate

Not even once have I been on a boat....
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:06 AM
First Mate

That's how I figured I would be ok on a ship, cause I didn't get sick on a boat. It's probably a good idea, then, that you go prepared. I'm sure you will have a great time no matter what.

Robin

Costa Atlantica 3/2004
Brilliance 2/2005
Brilliance 2/2006
Brilliance 2/2007
Explorer 2/2008
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:34 AM
Admiral

Here's my experience, for what it's worth: I have suffered from motion sickness all my life. Just ask my mother, travelling with me and my sister in the car was a nightmare!
I get sick in the car, the plane, the train, small boats, even on a swing at the park! And don't even mention amusement park rides!! I have to take Gravol (Canadian version of Bonine or Dramamine) every time I travel. I can drive ok, just don't ask me to sit in the backseat! Now here's the weird part. Understandably I was terrified the first time James took me on a cruise, that I would embarass him and be sick the entire time. Nothing could be further from the truth! I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that I never even felt queasy, not even once, on any of my (so far..) 5 cruises. I don't understand it, but it's definately one of the reasons that I have become such a cruise-a-holic! So, have fun on your first cruise, and try not to worry about what may not happen!

donna

Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:37 AM
Admiral

I've always had problems with motion sickness... car, plane, and boat... so I take Bonine every day of a cruise and wear seabands. Since you've never had a problem, I'd take the Bonine with you just in case, but don't take it unless you start feeling bad. Another thing good for motion sickness is ginger; there are ginger pills you can find in the supplement section of the grocery store, and ginger candy in some specialty stores, and there's always ginger ale.

Symptoms of motion sickness: queasiness, fatigue and yawning, dizzy feeling. You'll know when you're sick!

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:53 AM
cruisingkandJ

Default Re: Re: Do Carsick and Seasick Go Hand In Hand?

If you've never cruised, it's a good idea to go prepared with Bonine or Dramamine. I've been on 11 cruises and have never gotten seasick, even on the last one which was very rough, indeed. I do get carsick, however, but driving helps.

J.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 09:21 AM
First Mate

Thanks for your help everyone. Think I'll make a trip to WalMart again and pick up some sea bands and ginger to go along with my bonine.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 12:27 PM
Admiral

jeleja - i found that ginger-ale or ginger cookies work just as well as the ginger pills. The ginger pills are very expensive. I always have a glass of ginger ale to sip on, when we embark from home port, otherwise the motion of the ship really doesn't bother me. If however i do feel that "queezy" feeling, i get myself a glass of ginger ale, get outside into the fresh sea air and do something physical like go for a walk or a swim. It really helps. I do have the Bonnine as a back-up, but have not had to take it. Also if you are going to take the Bonine, try it at home first, some folks on these boards have had pretty nasty reactions to the stuff. Take it at night to minimize the side effects and take the least possible dose.
The ships have wonderful stabalizers that make for a nice smooth ride. Will you feel some motion? of course you will, you are on a moving vessel in a moving body of water.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 01:25 PM
VTJen

Was carsick as a child, all the time.

When flying I never feel well, but don't actually throw up.

1st cruise, was not well for first day in spite of bonine and wrist bands.

Actully got sick on second cruise - bonine, ginger pills and wrist bands.

Took meclazine (spelling?) from the ship, felt better the next day.

Will I get sick again. Probably - will that stop me from crusing. No - at least not yet. I still have some cruise goals and won't stop until I meet them. I hope I outgrow this thing.

Good Luck.

VTJen
Sensation 2/2003
Majesty of the Seas 3/2004
Old August 2nd, 2004, 05:27 PM
Lynne &Trevor

I had motion sickness as a child but have seemed to have outgrown it. However, I still avoid reading or looking down in the backseat of the car.It's worse if it's too hot in the vehicle.
On my first cruise in '98, I wasn't sure what would happen, and did have some Bonine with me just in case. I never needed it. Only once in the 4 cruises we've been on so far, 5th in Sept, have I felt queasy. I sipped on ice water, and after we were done with the Scrabble Game--(see, I had been looking down at the board on choppy seas), I went to the ship's store and bought some Tums. I took a couple of them, and was just fine. No troubles after that.

I found that if I stayed active, and towards the middle, inside of the ship, if choppy, I did better. On my last cruise, I actually forgot I was on a ship until I looked outside. Always try to keep your eye on the horizon if you go out on deck.

I predict that you'll have a very good time!!! Lynne