Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2004, 02:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C
Default 10 1/2 hour flight/ coping with the long flight

We will be flying from Los Angelus to London in September. I have spent many an hour on flights for business and absolutely hated the time in the air. Just to many flights to say this is a thrill. In my flight travel have racked up over 1 million miles in business travel. And yes have used FF miles for travel, it is just the 10 1/2 hours I'm not looking forward to on the long flight.

Any suggestions on a 10 1/2 hour flight to pass the the time and be in comfort? I'm not looking forward to the air time and need suggestions on anything you have to offer. I'm not a reader, can take cat naps until the back and neck hurt. Walk the aisle for exercise. We have decided to take the cruise air package because of the open jaw flights. This is much cheaper than I can find on line.

Talk to the flight attendants but more than likely they will be sleeping as well as the pilots .. ROFL.
”Where is my Diamond” - Princess CruiseMates fun with Y2C and wife
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...iamond2005.cfm

Constellation Sept 7, 2004

CruiseMates cruise Diamond Princess April 9, 2005

Post Edited (06-09-04 02:48)

Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2004, 07:07 AM
Admiral

Default Re: 10 1/2 hour flight/ coping with the long flight

Well, I was going to suggest Harry Potter #4 and #5, since they're the thickest volumes, but if you're not a reader, well, so much for that suggestion!
If it were me, I'd have no problem, I just take a Gravol (Dramamine) before ANY flight, and I sleep through the whole thing!

donna

Old June 9th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Admiral

First, for jet lag, may I suggest "No Jet Lag."

It's entirely herbal and it really works for me. I'm not sure how it works, but it works. You can get it through Magellan's Travel Supplies.

As to how to pass the time...

~ Do you have a laptop? You could play games on it, listen to music, or watch DVDs.
~ My husband isn't a reader, either, but he will read magazines. The short articles are easier for him to concentrate on than a book.
~ 2 words - travel scrabble! Go to a toy store and find travel games; also check online.
~ Bring a deck of cards and play solitaire.
~ Play word games and Mad Libs with your travel companions.
~ A portable CD, cassette player, or MP3 player will also help pass the time.
~ Magellan's also has some travel games and things to help pass the time. From their main page, go to "accessories" and then "gifts and games."
~ Go to a major bookstore like a Barnes and Noble and look for the "Games" section. They'll usually have books full of crossword puzzles, etc.
~ Get a piece of string and practice some string figures.
~ Reduce the risk of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) by doing some in-flight exercises.
~ Before you go, go online and print out all the information you can find about the ports you will visit (but don't read it) and get a European guidebook (but don't read it). On the flight, bring a notepad and pen and spend some time planning what you want to see in each port, restaurants you want to visit, and how you will get there.

Just a few suggestions, hope these give you some ideas.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old June 9th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Yeoman

WOW, Michelle, those are such great ideas. I was going to tell Steve to just buy a bottle of tylenol PM, and take 1/2 the bottle on the way over, and the other half on the way back!

Somehow, I think your ideas are much better.

Steve: I'm sure the trip over will be shorter (at least it will seem that way) just with all the anticipation of the cruise ahead. Then, on the return flight, you will be so tired from all the fun you had, you will be able to get some sleep, and you could write your review for all of us to read. And it should be very detailed with all the time you will have on your hands!

Have a great flight over and back and a great cruise in between!

NCL Dawn (Repo 14 nite) 11-1-09
RCCL Mariner of the Sea (Mexican Riviera) 4-18-10
1 FFC--Princess

19 finished cruises to date!
Old June 9th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Admiral

Take 1/2 of a S T M O M M A S W A R T..

Old June 9th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Admiral

I would suggest purchasing a portable DVD player....they are pretty compact, and are coming down in price. When we flew to Miami from LA, we had one & earphones and watched a few movies which helped a LOT!

Good luck to you!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old June 9th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Admiral

Steve you have my sympathy.... Our flight home from London was 8 hours and 15 minutes and I thought that was bad. Play cards with Barb or dream about the upcoming cruise. Wish I was going with you.

Gaile
CM Host Tweety
Old June 9th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Yeoman

Well if you aren't a reader it does get more complicated. I personally favor the " drug " yourself up approach!You'll get some sleep and arrive refreshed( sort of ) .I am a west coaster also so I know all about long flights to Europe, in fact I will be taking my (then) 14 yr old son next year to Paris, and he is not a reader and IS a wiggle wart to boot!! Thank goodness he gets motion sickness so I can "drug" him and not feel like a bad mom!
Old June 9th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Admiral

i know this may sound weird, but wear a pj top and bring your slippers on the airplane, this really works, trick your mind into thinking its time for beddybye. There is an herbal supplement on the shelf called Melatonin - helps regulate your sleep cycle and prevent jet lag. Get a portable DVD player or get a book on tape for your walkman or MP3 player
Old June 9th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to Auguste

Hello Steve
Got back from a 24 hour one 2 weeks ago ( 10 hours Rome to NY, then NY Raleigh, then another 3 hour car trip.)
It is no picnickfor sure. I was reading Magazines . Can't sleep on the plane .

Probably should do what a lot of them say, take a pill.
My next transatlantic will be coming back on a ship for sure. Just don't fret about it and think about London and your cruise back.

Auguste
Old June 9th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Thanks everyone, great ideas.
”Where is my Diamond” - Princess CruiseMates fun with Y2C and wife
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...iamond2005.cfm

Constellation Sept 7, 2004

CruiseMates cruise Diamond Princess April 9, 2005

Old June 9th, 2004, 06:46 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

Y2C...

You say you have 1million FF miles? Why not upgrade your seat to First Class or Business Class? I too, flew from LA to London (via American) and used my FF to upgrade. (I did have a change of planes in DFW, so technically the flight to London was only 8 1/2 hours...but it was still 12 hours of travel time.)
In First & Business class you have your own personal movie screen with about 4 choices of movies and different tv comedies. You can watch one or all of them in the time you are in the air. Also, the seats recline more in business and 1st class so makes it easier to relax and sleep better.

At one point they turn down all the lights and close the window shades which makes it easier to sleep. In 1st & Business class, they gave us a travel bag with socks, ear plugs, eye mask to help you sleep also. If you are in coach...take your own ear plugs and eye mask....and like Lisa K suggested, your slippers (or comfy socks).

Personally, I don't like taking unnecessary medications, so instead I will have a couple glasses of wine (and its free in 1st & Business class!) Between the wine and the meals on the plane, I didn't have a problem going to sleep.

Make sure you wear something really comfortable....easier to relax that way.

Lisa K suggested a book on tape....that is a really good idea! (My daughter & I travelled across the country last year by car and we listened to books on tape in the car. It really helped pass the time. As a matter of fact, I always forget about books on tape. I think I'll go buy a couple for the flight from LAX to San Juan for my upcoming cruise!)

MichelleP's idea of the going thru a guide book is great too. I've done that on several plane trips.

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old June 9th, 2004, 07:37 PM
AR

Default Re: Re: 10 1/2 hour flight/ coping with the long flight

I thought the same thing: if you're loaded with FF miles, by all means upgrade to the front of the bus. Makes a tremendous difference in comfort and relaxation. I don't mind coach on flights of three hours or less, but on longer flights I do everything I can to get up front. For 10 hour flights I'd move heaven and earth to get the good seats--and you seem to be in a perfect position to do that as well.
Old June 11th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

I too vote on Books on tape, it's nice to have someone read to you and it passes the time beautifully.
Old June 14th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Yeoman

For international travel I always book a late nite flight, because I sleep well on a plane. Flew to Hong Kong from San Diego once, and it took like 21 hrs. I was pretty blurry eyed upon arrival. Coming back I slept all the way between Tokyo and Seattle. The flight attendant had to wake me when we landed.

Happy Travels!

Carol