Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 14th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Captain

Default Celebrity's Marketing Executive Resigns-

Here is an interesting article I read in Travel Weekly. For what it's worth, I think =X= has done a smashing job marketing their new line.

Another thought...this isn't the most economical time to be job-hunting!

Here's the article:

http://www.travelweekly.com/cruise/a...tid199306.aspx
Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Celebrity's Marketing Executive Resigns-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton
Here is an interesting article I read in Travel Weekly. For what it's worth, I think =X= has done a smashing job marketing their new line.

Another thought...this isn't the most economical time to be job-hunting!

Here's the article:

http://www.travelweekly.com/cruise/a...tid199306.aspx
I Thought the whole "Starring You" campagn was a bit much..jmo

I have a feeling he was asked to leave
Old August 14th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Captain

Yup, me too. Working in HR, this was phrased exactly as I would send out a memo when an employee is terminated. Oh well...

I never thought about the, "Starring You" slogan. I do like how X changed the marketing on their website though with the flash and interactive photos / vids.
Old August 14th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton
I do like how X changed the marketing on their website though with the flash and interactive photos / vids.
yes in deed! In one fell swoop they jumped into the late 90's..
Old August 15th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Admiral

Default NAIVE

Perhaps I'm very naive gentlemen... but isn't or aren't the new ships a success in their bookings and how do they know this marketing has been a failure??
Old August 15th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: NAIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
Perhaps I'm very naive gentlemen... but isn't or aren't the new ships a success in their bookings and how do they know this marketing has been a failure??
I am no expert.. but I have come to believe that in the marketing business you are only as good as your last campaign..add that to the slumping sales in the cruise industry over the last 2 quarters.. and the head of Marketing is the rolling head so to speak so the other VP's/Executives can keep their job... while "appeasing the shareholders" by appearing to have found the "problem of low earnings"...
Old August 15th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Default REASONS

Hey, NCL heard was doing well, but don't the idiots realize it's THE ECONOMY!!!
Old August 16th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Captain

Maybe it was something else...maybe the head of Marketing told them to "take this job and ....."?

The economy is cruddy right now, but we just hired a VP of Marketing and Product Development at my office....
Old August 24th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Parrot Mom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
It's tough to tell what's happening from the wording of the press release. As another poster noted, the wording is pretty standard, regardless of whether the executive decided that an offer from another company was too good to pass up and caught his or her boss off guard with the news of his or her imminent departure or whether his or her boss shocked him or her with news of acceptance of a "resignation" that had not been formally submitted.

The indicator of the character of an executive's departure that's most accessible to the public is a press release from another company announcing his hire or the absence thereof. When a senior executive resigns to accept a sweet offer elsewhere, the company that made the sweet offer usually issues a public announcement of the hire and files disclosures with the SEC, if required, within a few days thereof. If the executive's departure is not voluntary, there's no such announcement because the executive does not have a new position awaiting his or her arrival.

Of course, this indicator is NOT 100% reliable. Many executives elect to take a vacation between positions, especially if they need to move their homes and their families, and thus do not start their new position immediately upon termination of their previous position. In such cases, the public announcement of the hire is usually delayed until the executive actually reports to work at the new company.

Norm.
Old August 25th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Captain

REV22:17 wrote:

"If the executive's departure is not voluntary, there's no such announcement because the executive does not have a new position awaiting his or her arrival."

Actually not so at all. Working as head of Human Resources for over 20 years for several public and private organizations, it is standard for many companies to announce a resignation or termination in this very way.

Some senior execs are given a settlement of sorts, or a "Severence Agreement" upon termination. If this is the case, and they receive a monetary payment to keep their mouth shut and to agree to hold their former employer harmless, their terminations are mostly ALWAYS characterized as "stepping down" or "moving onward in his career" or "pursuing other career opportunities."

It really is best-practice and commplace to couch terminations / resignations this way, so the employees or public do not become aware of personal / private issues related to the departing employee and the former employer.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 08:45 PM
Admiral

Triton,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
REV22:17 wrote:

"If the executive's departure is not voluntary, there's no such announcement because the executive does not have a new position awaiting his or her arrival."

Actually not so at all. Working as head of Human Resources for over 20 years for several public and private organizations, it is standard for many companies to announce a resignation or termination in this very way.
It appears that misread my earlier post. The sentence that you quoted was talking about an announcement from another company announcing that they had hired the executive. The first paragraph of my post said that the announcement of the executive's departure was pretty standard, regardless of the reason for the departure.

Norm.