Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 28th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Beginner

Default Transfer Houston Downtown-Galveston / Galveston-IAH airport

Dear cruisers
I'm new on this board. In two weeks we're going to be on the Galaxy. It's gonna be our 4th cruise. Very much excited.
So far I always booked the cruises via a TA in Texas, but arranged the transfers and flights on my own (we need transatlantic flights each time). This time we're going to fly into Newark first, spend a few days there, before going on to Phillie and then Houston. We spend the night in Houston downtown (Hyatt) and will travel into Galveston on cruise departure day (April 13). What's the best way to organise the transfer to the ship? Shall we just pick a taxi from the hotel? Or preorder a transportation? On the way back we'll fly directly back to Switzerland from Houston IAH, should we book the transfer on the ship, or look for a taxi after debarkation? Our (international) flight from IAH leaves at 15.20h, so a combined tour/transfer is not possible.
What are your suggestions? Thank you very much for your help.
SwissChris
Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Admiral

SwissChris,

We spend the night in Houston downtown (Hyatt) and will travel into Galveston on cruise departure day (April 13). What's the best way to organise the transfer to the ship?

A taxi will not be cheap, but you could consider a van service if your party is large enogh to justify it.

Celebrity does offer transfers from downtown Houston to the ship for a reasonable price. Celebrity's transfers probably would be the most economical option if your party is small. The transfers generally operate from the hotel(s) where Celebrity books precruise stays. If the Hyatt is not one of those hotels, it might be advantageous to change your hotel reservation.

On the way back we'll fly directly back to Switzerland from Houston IAH, should we book the transfer on the ship, or look for a taxi after debarkation? Our (international) flight from IAH leaves at 15.20h, so a combined tour/transfer is not possible.

Again, the taxi will be very expensive because George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) is on the opposite side of Houston from Galveston. Celebrity's transfers would be the most seemless option and the most economical option for a small party. If you have a large enough party, a van service again might be more economical.

That said, I think that your flight actually is late enough for Celebirty's tour of Galveston en route to the airport. Galveston is a fascinating city with an interesting heritage of its own. The historic downtown has one of the largest collections of "iron front" buildings in the United States, if not in the world. If you buy transers though Celebrtiy, you'll be able to book this tour aboard MV Galaxy and receive a credit for the price of the transfers.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old March 28th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Beginner

Thanks Norm for your hint. We are just two (my wife and myself), therefore an official Celebrity transfer might be worthwile.

If the Hyatt is not one of those hotels, it might be advantageous to change your hotel reservation.

That's not an option, as we booked the hotel through Hotwire, therefore no chance to rebook.

That said, I think that your flight actually is late enough for Celebirty's tour of Galveston en route to the airport.

In the tour description it says this tour would be only for flight departures after 5PM, so definitely later. And we do not want to risk to miss the flight back home (there is only 1 flight per day).

Appreciate your help, you seem to be an experienced cruiser.
Old March 28th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Admiral

SwissChris,

That's not an option, as we booked the hotel through Hotwire, therefore no chance to rebook.

Ooops! Well, there's a possibility that the Hyatt is either on the list or near to another hotel tht is on the list.

In the tour description it says this tour would be only for flight departures after 5PM, so definitely later. And we do not want to risk to miss the flight back home (there is only 1 flight per day).

A deadline of 5:00 PM would be a significant change. I'm pretty sure that it was 3:00 PM when I did that tour/transfer on 31 October.

That said, I completely agree with your sentiments about not missing your flight home!

Have a great cruise!

Norm.