Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 21st, 2012, 02:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Shore excursion recommendations

My husband and I and our adult daughter will be going on a cruise on the Valor to Grand Turk, San Juan, Puerto Rico, St Maartan and St. Thomas in November. Please tell us about excursions you may have taken at these ports and what you liked or didn't like about them.
My husband and I are 60, in fairly good health, and we are on a limited budget.
Thanks,
Catherine

FANTASY October/06
ELATION February/07
SENSATION August/09

Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2012, 06:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

In San Juan you can easily visit El Morro, it is a great piece of history and is not far from the pier, even walkable if you enjoy walking.

As for St. Thomas and St. Maarten, there are many to choose from, what kinds of things do you like to do?

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 21st, 2012, 08:03 AM
Admiral

Hi Cathy,
We may be cruising with you. Not sure if we will do any formal excursions this time around. Like Donna indicates Old San Juan is right at the pier, beaches the rest of the time. There seems to be a good beach right at the pier area in Grand Turk - doesn't seem to be much to do on land there, water sports looks like the rule.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old August 21st, 2012, 09:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I am a big fan of island tours...you get a taste of many sites.I have done this in SJ, St T,and SM....You can walk off the ship,and there are taxis and vans,and the price will be lower than ships tours. Also, beach tours, if you are so inclined, will be budget friendly..take a cab, arrange with the driver to pick you up at a certain time,and plunk yourself down for the day.

In Grand Turk, your ship docks up close,and you walk off, to either the beach, or walk through the gates to the huge pool, Margarittaville, and the shops.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 22nd, 2012, 04:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I like the idea of an organised tour but the ones offered by the cruise line can be pricey. I know that there is that guarantee from the cruise line that you will not be left behind on one of the tours booked through them. Many travel agencies use outside vendors at lower rates. At least one vendor has a guarantee to get you back on time or they will pay to get you to the next port and all expenses included. In the years that they have been selling tours they have never had to honor this guarantee. It might be a good thing to ask your travel agent about this.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old August 23rd, 2012, 03:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thumbs up Grand Turk

I have not been to the other ports yet but at Grand Turk the ship docks so close to the shore that it is a short walk to the beach. They have an incredible cruise center there and the beach, beach chairs are all free. Walk just 50 feet or so away from the beach and you are at a huge pool ( also free) and drink waiters ( drinks not free). Margaritaville is a two story building with some of the best conch chowder I have ever eaten. It has sweet potatoes in it. Gift shops etc. Great inexpensive day off the ship.
Old August 24th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Familiar Face

In St Thomas I would pick a catamaran tour that offers beach and snorkeling.

Past Cruises
Carnival Valor 11/20/2011 Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Grand Cayman
Carnival Miracle 02/23/2011 Aruba, Curacao, Catalina Island and Grand Turk
Carnival Legend 8/01/2010 Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Grand Cayman
Carnival Valor 10/25/2009 Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Grand Cayman
Carnival Glory 11/29/2008
Carnival Destiny 09/02/2007
Carnival Triumph 9/30/2006
Carnival Fascination 10/03/2005
Old August 25th, 2012, 02:39 AM
First Mate

Either St Maarten or St Thomas (I forget which one but ship guide should show you).

Snorkel trip to Trunk Bay St John Island

It's a lovely day trip and not to be missed!! If you want to swim too far from shore though, you need to be a good swimmer..Water is gorgeous!! Scenery awesome. Be sure and take your own snacks and drinks from the ship.

CarnivalTriumph
Old August 25th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorklr45 View Post
Either St Maarten or St Thomas (I forget which one but ship guide should show you).

Snorkel trip to Trunk Bay St John Island

It's a lovely day trip and not to be missed!! If you want to swim too far from shore though, you need to be a good swimmer..Water is gorgeous!! Scenery awesome. Be sure and take your own snacks and drinks from the ship.
St John is next to St Thomas.

Best liquor prices will be on St Maarten.
Old August 25th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you want a little adventure...in Grand Turk we did the dune buggy excursion from Carnival. It was a lot of fun and we saw some cool stuff.

D~
Old September 5th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Familiar Face

Default Grand Turk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deni View Post
If you want a little adventure...in Grand Turk we did the dune buggy excursion from Carnival. It was a lot of fun and we saw some cool stuff.

D~
That sounds interesting, does it go to adifferent part of the island? We have been to the cruise port 3 times now and need something different to do there. What spots does itvisit?
Old September 5th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

They took us to the top of this ridge and it was beautiful. Gave us a bit of history lesson and then we went clear across to the other side to an old lighthouse. My friend drove on the way out and I drove back so we both had a chance to look around . We got some great photos.
Old September 5th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks a bunch, will have totry it!
Old September 7th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Familiar Face

On St. Maarten, we rented a car and drove around the island. Enjoyed seeing France, and chased down a few Geocaches along the way.

But without doubt.... the best part was sitting on the beach at Maho Bay watching the airplanes landing! The final approach course is directly over your head, and you will be only feet away from the aircraft! A terrific thrill, and great pictures! (Google Maho Bay to see what I mean!)

We enjoyed it so much, we are going back in February (same cruise/ship as you!)

Celebrity Eclipse, 2014
Carnival Valor, 2013
Carnival Miracle, 2010
Carnival Glory, 2009
NCL Sun, 2007
Old September 24th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Familiar Face

Default Belize Cruise Port

The idea of creating your own shore excursion packages is a great advantage. I would recommend activities in Belize. Belize has so much to offer. We did cave tubing and zip line with www.actionboysbelize.com and it was a blast.
Old September 24th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

The best excursion on St Maarten is the America's cup race trip.

12 Metre Regatta, America's Cup Racing, Philipsburg, St. Martin - YouTube
this is our boat and our Captain, but the video is not from my trip.
It is thrilling and a lot of fun.

Once we were done, we took a taxi over to Maho Beach to watch the planes
come in, and had lunch at the Sunset beach bar.
Sunset Beach Bar St Martin.wmv - YouTube or you can get a taxi over to Orient Beach for the day.

On St Thomas we taxi'd over to Emerald Beach resort - All About The Emerald Beach Resort in St Thomas, Virgin Islands - YouTube no charge to use their pool or beach - we sat at the beach bar and had a super day.
We have also taken one of those tours of St Thomas in the past, in a safari bus that takes you over the island. IIRC it was around $25 each via the cruise line and well worth it. Then of course there is shopping downtown.
Old September 24th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Having done the America's Cup in St. Maaten, I would also recommend this one, lots of fun and work if you want an actual job..

Message Boards Moderator