Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 25th, 2012, 02:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Virtual Cruise Report - Daily Notes - A New Fresh Breeze 6/27-7/9

I depart later this afternoon to jet my way to Barcelona, Spain, where I'll board the Carnival Breeze, for 12 nights, on her third cruise since leaving the ship yard.

By all early accounts this ship will bring a "Fresh Breeze" within Carnival Cruise Line as they use it to define their goals of establishing Funship 2.0.

With daily stories, filled with mulitutudes of pictures, I'm hoping to draw you a complete picture of what you can see and experience when you sail the Carnival Breeze.

Along the way, if you have any specific questions about the ship, her amenities, and her activities, please feel free to post them within this thread. I'll do my very best to get you answers.

If all the plans go smoothly, you should be able to read the initial of my daily reports by mid-day or so Wed. June 27, and continue on to my disembarkation July 9.

Come along and share my cruise with me... right here!

Last edited by Kuki; June 25th, 2012 at 10:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2012, 02:27 AM
Captain

Wondering if they have worked out the kinks yet as it's only the 3rd sailing. Also any idea how much of the staff is new and how many experienced people they have moved from other ships?
Old June 25th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Familiar Face

I'll be here listening! My experience on the 11 year old Pride was great, so a brand new ship should be even better!
Old June 26th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

We have completed the pre-cruise get together where the new and old Cruisemates friends met. We have a group of 26 so it will take me a couple of days to remember all the names. It was a nice time. Now people are out exploring the late night city of Barcelona.

Here are a few of the Cruisemates.
Here I am in "The Hell Room" 666. At least they got the air conditioning fixed.

Laurie and Bill

Ray is here!!!

Nancy and Maria: Who's minding the store. Marietta must be busy.

Peggy and Dominic

OK: I will remember all names by Thusday.

Now we're off to have a late dinner in Barcelona. You can eat until 3:00 a.m. here. I like that.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 26th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Good to see you are all onboard and settled in, ready to eat....sounds great..
Have a great cruise and keep the pics comming.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 26th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Admiral

Have a great time guys.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old June 27th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Administrator
Admiral

We have boarded. Kuki and I have both experienced problems with Internet access but both problems turned out to be "sort of" user errors. Carnival still though I was an existing user on my March cruise on Carnival Liberty. Duh: Clear cookies moron.

The sail-away, in the Tides Bar is in 1.5 hours. Incriminating pictures to follow.

Easy embarkation in Barcelona and the aft balcony cabin is quite nice but I wish the Breeze had a few more shelves in the closet. Other wish it's a nice room.

However, Nancy's, the travel agent's, 9C wraparound has a great balcony but the cabin is actually quite small. She isn't too happy but we know where the Venice Sail away will be.

OK: I'll post pictures later tonight, or this afternoon in your case.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old June 27th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Admiral

Default It's a Tropical Breeze

As Mike has reported, we are both onboard.

Embarkation went very smoothly. Very slick operation in Barcelona.

The ship is a STUNNER. First impressions... A WINNER visually!

We'll see how she is for a full cruise.

Bob Dickinson, past CEO of Carnival, happens to be onboard. Just saw, and briefly ispoke, to he and his lovely wife at the Safety Briefing. (It's no longer called "muster drill" apparently). Hopefully I can see him later on to get his more detailed opinions of the ship.

More later this evening, after a night on board.
Old June 27th, 2012, 11:46 AM
First Mate

Kuki/Mike,

Does the ship have aany adults only areas, equivalent to for example, the solarium area on a Celebrity ship?

Thanks,

Read and post cruise reviews
Old June 27th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Admiral

Happy Sails!!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old June 27th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The sailaway was a hit and everyone enjoyed themselves even though we never "sailed away". We were about an hour late leaving because of a ferry that was coming into port. Unfortunately some moron forgot to bring his camera. I know, you want incriminating pictures and there will be some coming.

We really did have a great time and enjoyed ourselves. Of course, Betty wins the most conversational award.

We are just back and now must get ready for dinner.

I have to echo Kuki's assessment. The ship is a stunner and while not boring is not the standard Carnival ship. It is a bit more "upscale" looking and I like it. I'll try to get pictures later on to help you visualize it. I do really like the look.

Talk to you later,
Mike

Old June 27th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Admiral

Default It’s A Tropical Breeze

Tales From The Sea - It’s A Tropical Breeze
Day 1 - First Impressions -

Though my departure airport for this trip was closed (due to lightening in the area) just as I was scheduled to board, the closure didn’t last long, and I was able to depart for Barcelona, and made my connecting flight in Frankfurt, Germany.

And… surprise of surprises, my luggage arrived in Barcelona, not Cairo.
Arrived at the ship shortly after 11 A.M. and, as mentioned, the embarkation process was a “breeze”. I used the VIP check-in process (as I’m a Platinum member of Carnival’s VIFP repeater’s program), but I spoke to others who arrived at the same time, and they were on board with almost the same speed.

It was announced cabins would be available by Noon, which is quite impressive for a quick turnaround day.

Wandering around the ship to get an initial glance at the lay of the land, it’s frankly hard not to be impressed. The first impression drives home the “Tropical Theme” of this ship’s design, and does it very, very well.

The layout has many differences with her older Conquest Class cousins, but yet has the feel of what is likely very familiar traffic flow patterns for past Carnival guests. Deck 5 is still “the action” deck indoors, though there’s some unique and positive differences in the facilities available, which I’ll talk about in much greater length later in the virtual cruise.

With Ocean Plaza, the “action” of Promenade Deck 5 has been extended to so it basically includes the outdoor deck as well. Easily accessible from most of the clubs and restaurants on the same deck, with some excellent seating areas, the entire deck, indoors and out, makes all spaces a part of the design ambience.

By tomorrow I should be settled in enough to begin uploading and including pictures with my daily reports. My “first day and jet lag excuse” will have to carry me for today.

Before I head to bed I guess I do have to mention, I did indeed try the Guy Fieri Hamburgers today, and they are excellent. I’m going to have to give them a more thorough test in the coming days to be certain, but a much better product than I even expected.

I will be back tomorrow with more stories so do come back to continue this cruise with me, and I’ll do my best to getting answers to your questions.
Old June 27th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Admiral

Can't wait to see more pictures.
Old June 27th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default muster

did you go because you didn't know it was the muster drill?
looking forward to the pictures! Enjoy!
Old June 27th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Kuki,
Get a good nights sleep and glad you were able to try the "burgers"...They did sound like they would be to die for...Awaiting you pics...

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 28th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Admiral

Here's a link to my first photo gallery from the Carnival Breeze

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums - Kuki's Album: Carnival Breeze
Old June 28th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Admiral

Looking good!!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old June 28th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

What a stunning new look for Carnival..wow I am impressed by all I see. Keep the pictures coming, and, please by all means, continue researching the hamburgers, so we can discuss every nuance. Have a ball!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 28th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Admiral

I must say I like the photos of the purple lounge!

donna
Old June 28th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I LIKE THE PICTURES BUT WHERE ARE ALL THE PEOPLE???

Hey Kuki... I would really like to get your impressions of all the the new food venues - Guy's burgers, C-side BBQ, The Cantina. I am glad you liked the Burgers - which one did you have and how are the fries?

I also would love some pictures or even better some video of the game shows. I know its hard to upload video from the ship so that can wait until you guys return, but I would like to see it.

Is the C-Side BBQ only open on sea days? the sign said "open C-days" - is that what that means?

I think the ship looks nice. I am guessing it looks better in real life than the pictures. It is definitely not your old Carnival. But I am interested in whether the finishings look really nice or more "faux". I am guessing they look nice (not faux) but I would like a first-hand account.

Thanks for your reporting - keep it up. We are all looking forward to seeing Breeze.
Old June 28th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Administrator
Admiral

We had a good day in Marseilles but I will say that if you do come to this port I strongly advise that you do a ship's tour. There is so much construction in the port area that it takes forever to get down to the Marina and it's even better to get out of town.

I have been trying to post some pictures of the day and our wonderful group outing to Farenheit 555 Steakhouse but the Internet and/or the boards are not cooperating.

Hopefully I can get them posted and add another update after our return from Florence, tomorrow. It is going to be an early day and I've burned too many of my minutes for now.

We are having a great time!!!!

I'll try just one picture to whet your appetite.

Take care,
Mike

Old June 28th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Administrator
Admiral

OK, two more.

Take care,
Mike

Old June 28th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Mike - I know how frustrating it is to try to post pictures from a ship.

All I can suggest is that you reduce the size of your pictures to 680 width - then they uplaod faster.

If you write a long post COPY it to your clipboard before hitting "Submit" so if you lose it you can repost it.

I have to say, though, that the boards are working better these days than they were a month ago.

Thanks for the great pictures - pictures are good, but I also want dialogue, please. Tell me about the entertainment, the game shows, etc.
Old June 28th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I LIKE THE PICTURES BUT WHERE ARE ALL THE PEOPLE???

Hey Kuki... I would really like to get your impressions of all the the new food venues - Guy's burgers, C-side BBQ, The Cantina. I am glad you liked the Burgers - which one did you have and how are the fries?

I also would love some pictures or even better some video of the game shows. I know its hard to upload video from the ship so that can wait until you guys return, but I would like to see it.

Is the C-Side BBQ only open on sea days? the sign said "open C-days" - is that what that means?

I think the ship looks nice. I am guessing it looks better in real life than the pictures. It is definitely not your old Carnival. But I am interested in whether the finishings look really nice or more "faux". I am guessing they look nice (not faux) but I would like a first-hand account.

Thanks for your reporting - keep it up. We are all looking forward to seeing Breeze.
Hi Paul!

What I've reported on so far, was just DAY 1 on the ship. I can't eat everywhere in a day. Plus, after a travel day jet lag doesn't allow one to see all the clearly, and the details get a bit fuzzy, but I do promise lots of detail to come.

Indeed the C-side Bar-b-q is open ONLY sea days. And on this cruise those don't come for a few more days, after Livorno and two days in Rome.

The pictures I posted in the gallery were taken from today, and therefore most people were in port visiting Marseille, France. The reason I wasn't off in port with them is coming up in today's report, coming up momentarily....
Old June 28th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Admiral

Day 2 - Tales From The Sea - Wow! They Are So Young

Over the last few years I’ve sailed on quite a number of longer cruises ; 10-18 days. The general rule of thumb on longer cruises is that they draw an older crowd. On this sailing, we can just throw that theory overboard.

With the age demographic on this cruise, one might think they are on a seven day Caribbean cruise. Ignoring the fact there seems to be a significant number of “under 18s” onboard, the adult population on board is a true mix of age groups, skewing more than expected to the more middle of the road (age wise), still “family rearing” age group.

And there seems to be many multi-generational family groups in the mix as well.

This is certainly not solely a “senior’s cruise”.

Though I am not “officially” a part of the CruiseMates Group Cruise, it is a part of the reason I chose this sailing, to be able to cover the ship and meet the “CruiseMates folks“ on board.

And our CruiseMates’ hosts on board, MikeM and Betty, and the rest of the gang, have been very gracious in including me in the “group action”, which is particularly kind since I am traveling solo; without Mrs. Kuki.

I am dining with a few of them at late seating, which I’m sure I’ll enjoy throughout the cruise. We’re on traditional late seating in the Blush Dining Room, aft on Deck 3.

Our first dinner service, last night, was slightly “off kilter”, with regard to timing. Though dining time for late seating is 8:15, our first appetizer course didn’t arrive until 9 P.M. and it took a bit of speed eating for those who wanted to attend the 10 P.M. Welcome Aboard Show to get through in time. We were just ordering deserts and coffee at 10 P.M.

Aside from the somewhat stumbling service, our service team was very friendly, and the food was very good. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the Beef Brisket entrée; very tasty!

Having missed the timing for the show, I stopped into the casino with the intent of playing a bit of Black Jack, before heading back to the cabin early, to write yesterday’s installment.

Do you know how hard it is to leave a Black Jack table when you’re winning? By midnight my eyes were blurring, and I was forced to admit I was beginning to crash. It was fortunate for me, as I left up money; a rare occurrence in a casino.

After a bit of writing when I returned to mycabin, it was 1 A.M. before I climbed into bed.

This morning, I hit the “jet lag wall”.

I woke up at 7 A.M. with the intent to tour in our first port of call, Marseille, France.

No excursion planned, but I was going to take an available shuttle into town (for 12 Euros return). It didn’t happen!

My shoulders were sore from lugging my computer bag around for the lengthy travel day; my eyes were sticky and begging to relax, so I enjoyed coffee out on deck, and made the decision to stay on board. I laid back in bed for a quick moment and woke at 12:45 in afternoon.

Apparently my body was telling me something, and for a change I listened.

When I woke up it afforded me the opportunity to wander a part of the ship, and take some pictures. Most of which you can see in the photo gallery.
http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/mem...al-breeze.html

For this evening Mike and our CruiseMates Travel Agent, Nancy Bogert had pre-arranged a group dinner at the Fahrenheit 555 Steakhouse, and Nancy so graciously included me in the group reservation.

Dining at the Steakhouse was pretty much as good as it gets. Excellent service! Excellent food! Excellent company! It’s so well worth the $35 surcharge Carnival charges for dining there.

This evening I skipped going to the new show “The Brits” , in the Ovation Theater, and the late night Punchliner Comedy Club, as we have an early morning tour heading to Venice, upon landing in Livorno.

No dropping into the cabin at 1 A.M. for me tonight!
Old June 28th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Thanks for the pictures. I know how har it is to start a "virtual cruise" which is why we have not yet linked it to the front page - but we will tomorrow morning, I just wanted a fair amount of content in there first.

Marseilles is an armpit - one time there wa enough for me and I did take a ship's tour plus a long walk on a looooonnnggg pier (as Mike said).

I ended up on a street obviously populated by North Africans (or possibly other Arab cultures) and I mean no offense, but it felt a bit dangerous.

Even the "sidewalk" cafes there had a "are you sure you'd want to eat there" feel to them. I think there is a reason Marseiiles is known as the "Newark" of France, and no offense to Newark, I think the mayor Booker (?) has done a terrific job there.
Old June 28th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Administrator
Admiral

As a big Beatles fan I expect a full review of "The Brits" before the end of the cruise.

I agree about the Carnival Steakhouse - as good as it gets. It is pricey by almost any cruise ships standards $35 pp, but it is really good.
Old June 28th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Kuki and Mike, I am really interested in hearing about the overnight in Civatevecchia. Does the ship have organized evening excursions? Does the ship have a two day excursion including hotel? Do many people stay in Rome on their own overnight?

thanks,

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old June 28th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hope you get over jet lag soon so you can enjoy the sights. Mom is enjoying the posts and wonders if you can get the recipe for the Fieri burger!
Old June 29th, 2012, 01:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Check the aft pool. I'm guessing that it is NOT an 'adult only' pool.

Photos look great!

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.