Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 3rd, 2012, 09:38 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Carnival Raises Steakhouse Price

The steakhouses on all Carnival ships will be increasing their surcharge from $30 per person to $35 per person, effective immediately for new reservations. Reservations that have already been made will be charged $30 until August 1, 2012. This is per John Heald's Facebook announcement.

I have mixed feelings about this. Carnival's steakhouses have become more popular in the last couple of years. When the David's concept was first introduced it was easy to get a reservation and most nights the steakhouses were half full. Now they seem to be more in demand. On my last two Carnival Liberty cruises the later seatings were full but I have to say that the "experience" wasn't what it was on Carnival Legend or Carnival Pride just a couple of years earlier.

My "gut" is telling me that the move is purely based on revenue. Carnival said the increase was due to increased food costs and to stay in line with what other cruise lines are charging. Well: The cost of the meat hasn't gone up. They are actually paying less than they were a year ago. I know the company that they buy their meat and a Carnival steakhouse dinner isn't the same as Celebrity's or Holland America's, especially in the service area.

We'll see if their bookings drop or if the additional charge will bolster the bottom line.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2012, 02:31 PM
Banned
Captain

The cruise lines main bottom line is how much money can they squeeze out of each passenger...that is their number one goal....Its a simple case of supply and demand, the more crowded it gets the more the demand is, the more you pay. They will keep raising the price untill they hit the peak of what people will be willing to pay. They have numbers people always figuring out on how they can save money...Many years ago we use to book Carnival. During the last cruise that we sailed with Carnival my wife and I entered the MDR for breakfast and noticed white tableclothes, I actually asked a waiter why is everything white, the waiter stated its cheaper to have white linen then colored..that one statement by the waiter had a lasting impression on me, We never sailed Carnival again.
Look at Royal Carribean in their cruise brochure they have a small letter t next to their discription of room service "Prefer to stay in bed? Enjoy meals in your stateroom with our 24 hour room service (t)...the T means Late night charges may apply.
Are you kidding me..Royal Carribean is starting to charge late night room service..Not that I would ever cruise with this line I just find this to be so low class that it is appaling.

First thing is that Royal Carribean food has been noted as some of the worst in the industry, but to have to pay for this is way out of line...can this open the door for other lines to start doing this ?
Old June 3rd, 2012, 02:42 PM
Admiral

Royal Caribbean started charging a nominal fee for Room Service from Midnight - 5:00 am to cut down on waste. Lots of teenagers, young adults were coming back from the clubs, ordering tons through room service and not eating it. A tremendous amount was being thrown away. Can't say as I blame them for putting in a bit of charge. Princess charges for Pizza Delivery ($3) not sure who else. I do think a couple of lines put in that late night charge though.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old June 10th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Familiar Face

Default First time at Steakhouse

WE just returned from the Magic- went to the steak house on the last night for $30 per person. It was Good, not GREAT. The menu looked like to old menu from regular nights on the ship years ago.
The Ribeye, was huge, way to much meat, not really seasoned. I wanted medium, it came out bloody and runny. They took it back and cooked it more- it was better.
The salad was good.
The Shrimp cocktail was wonderful.
The chocolate dessert was awesome.
The cheesecake dessert was HUGE, too much for one person and that was disheartening, why give such a huge piece-rediculous. Why have such huge portions?? why charge so much??
The surf and turf was perfect- I will have that next time (if I do it again).
My friends had the surf and turf, they shared a bite.
For the money- The Italian restaurant was much better.
However- I do love to eat and the food did not go to waist.
Happy cruising.

Elation 2003
Celebration 2004
Conquest 2005
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2008
Conquest 2009
Conquest 2010
Magic 2012
Magic 2013
Elation 2014
Magic 2014
Old June 10th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Admiral

I think RCCL started charging about $3.00 for room service --and I think I'm correct here -- from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m.
I do not blame them nor any other line for doing so--that's a small amount considering the waste of food they were incurring.
Kids ordering loads of food at all hours , drunks coming in at 1-2 a.m., ordering a load of food. plopping down and passing out on the bed--then the waiter has to trudge half a mile with a heavy tray of food, can't knock discreetly on the door to get someone--he / she is then faced with trying to knock loudly enough to get someone to the door and in the process awakens several people in surrounding cabins, and gets complaints for that-- or has to go somewhere to a house phone, call the people who ordered and finally carries the tray of food back to the kitchen. Don't blame the cruise lines for this-- like many things in cruising, you have to blame some of your fellow cruisers for shooting everyone in the foot by abusing a good thing.
Old June 24th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Familiar Face

We are going on the Conquest in Sept for our 20th Anniversery and have made reservations (Back in January) and are wondering if it is really worth the extra cash or not (not worried about the 30 to 35 - more on the fact is it worth it at all) on our special night?

Old June 24th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Admiral

The cruiselines, like any other corporation have to make a profit.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old June 24th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoAlaskans View Post
We are going on the Conquest in Sept for our 20th Anniversery and have made reservations (Back in January) and are wondering if it is really worth the extra cash or not (not worried about the 30 to 35 - more on the fact is it worth it at all) on our special night?
We ate in the Steakhouse on the Breeze and I would definitely recommend that you go there on your anniversary. We felt that the service and food were excellent, and your anniversary would sure be a lot more special there than in the main dining room.

I also questioned whether it was worth the $30, but when comparing it to a place like Ruth's Chris, it is definitely worth it. We all enjoyed our meals. We also had one person in our party that is a very picky eater (no meat, no fish) and the chefs made a special order meal of pasta with vegetables that was outstanding.
Old June 25th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks Mike

Old July 5th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Familiar Face

The last time we dined in one of the steak houses was several cruises ago. I believe on the Spirit Vancouver Hawaii Sept 10 trip. The service was very good and food was quite good as well. I am not a big nose in the air stickler but....at the table next to us was a party of 6 drunks all dressed in the shorts and t shirts. It certainly took away from our dining experience. The couple seated behind us were dressed in formal wear. They were not too happy either. Carnival once again lived up to its nickname "Walmart of the Seas".

My Blog can be found at: http://capndinghy.multiply.com/
Old July 5th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capndinghy View Post
The last time we dined in one of the steak houses was several cruises ago. I believe on the Spirit Vancouver Hawaii Sept 10 trip. The service was very good and food was quite good as well. I am not a big nose in the air stickler but....at the table next to us was a party of 6 drunks all dressed in the shorts and t shirts. It certainly took away from our dining experience. The couple seated behind us were dressed in formal wear. They were not too happy either. Carnival once again lived up to its nickname "Walmart of the Seas".
Are u Steveaaaaaaaaa from Cruise Critic?
Old July 6th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
.at the table next to us was a party of 6 drunks all dressed in the shorts and t shirts. It certainly took away from our dining experience.
I agree with you. greeeer

We have done the steak house a few times and have not been disappointed. We have a hard time getting out of there for less than $115.00 with wine and tip.
Nov.2005 CCL - Spirit
Aug.2007 PCL - Crown Princess
Feb.2008 CCL - Spirit
Oct.2009 CCL - Elation
Jan.2010 CCL - Splender
Feb.2011 CCL - Spirit (Cabo)
Jul. 2011 CCL -Spirit (Alaska)
Oct.2011 CCL- Dream-(W.Caribbean)
Feb.2012 CCL - Spirit ( Cabo)
Dec. 2012 CCL- Splendor ( Cabo)
Old July 6th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum View Post
Are u Steveaaaaaaaaa from Cruise Critic?
NO...I am who I said I am.
I am no longer on Cruise Critic. I was Capndinghy there as well.
Who are YOU?

My Blog can be found at: http://capndinghy.multiply.com/
Old July 7th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Familiar Face

We have been to the Steakhouse on many of our cruises. Personally, it is worth it to us as it is a nice, quiet, relaxing dinner with none of the noise that's in the main dining room.

Our most recent experiences have been on Carnival Dream and as far as wearing shorts, no way Jose. On one of our Dream cruises, our luggage wasn't delivered and we were getting worried when it was 6PM and dinner reservations were for 7. My husband had worn shorts to the ship as we live in FL and he wears shorts pretty much year round.

I called the Steakhouse to ask if he could wear shorts and explained why. His shorts were not jean shorts or running shorts etc., just regular dress shorts. I was very politely told that if our luggage didn't arrive by 6:45 to call again and they would be glad to reschedule for another night. Fortunately, within 5 minutes of our call the luggage arrived.

I think on our next Dream cruise which is in November, we will probably go to the Steakhouse two nights as we enjoy going the first night with the free bottle of wine, unless with another cut they do away with that, and then on night 3 or 4 as neither of those night menus are favorites.

We really do enjoy the food there and as I said, the ambiance is wonderful. If they had a larger menu, I would go there every night, but no way could we eat that rich food every night.
Old July 8th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Familiar Face

we have been on to the steak house on every possible ship we could attend the restaurant in the last few years. we are not sure if we are getting used to it or the service/food quality has gone down slightly. The appeal is not as 'special' to us anymore.

Also with the live entertainment gone now, the atmosphere has gone down for sure. and as others say some peeps do not follow the dress code ruins the atmosphere

we are debating not attending the steak house on our next cruise in October. WE booked reservation then when i got an email about the raise in $$s, I cancelled our reservation. quality down, price up... hmmm? still part of me is saying we need to do it. I just can't decide either.... will probably book onboard if we decide.
10/19/09-Miracle-EXOTIC S. CARIBBEAN+8
04/18/09-Fantasy-WESTERN CARIBBEAN+5
01/24/09-Splendor-EXOTIC E. CARIBBEAN+7
12/14/08-Valor-EASTERN CARIBBEAN+7
08/30/08-Liberty-WESTERN CARIBBEAN+7
02/19/08-Miracle-EXOTIC W. CARIBBEAN+8
09/08/07-Triumph-EXOTIC EASTERN CARIB+7
11/09/05-Legend-EXOTIC S. CARIBBEAN+8
NCL SKY 2009
Enchantment of the Seas 2004
Seabreeze - 1996, 1994,1991,1990