Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Underage drinking/reboarding on carnival ship?

Going on a cruise to mexico and few other stops where legal drinking age is 18, im currently 18 and I know that the rules of the ship are 21+. My question is what would happen if I were to be caught drunk on the ship or actually drinking on the ship?(obviously couldnt buy my own drinks) Also read somewhere that if I go get wasted on an island they can refuse to let me reboard the ship, how true is this? I understand if im being belligerent or something but if im just drunk and not acting out in any manner will they really refuse to let me back onto the ship??
Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Admiral

Well, rollinlikeabigshot171, I'm trying to remember what it was like to be 18 and have alcohol available . First of all this is absolutely JMO. If you come back on the ship drunk, but not causing any trouble, you'll probably be okay.

If you drink on the ship, both you and whoever provides you with alcohol can (and probably will) be put off the ship at the next opportunity . I'd suggest you avoid this at all costs!!

Because a cruise is such a great time to meet new people and see new things, I'd suggest you "save" getting drunk until you get back home. You really don't want to miss the fun ! I'm thinking you'd also like to remember your cruise .

Have a good time, whatever you decide,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old April 16th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
Well, rollinlikeabigshot171, I'm trying to remember what it was like to be 18 and have alcohol available . First of all this is absolutely JMO. If you come back on the ship drunk, but not causing any trouble, you'll probably be okay.

If you drink on the ship, both you and whoever provides you with alcohol can (and probably will) be put off the ship at the next opportunity . I'd suggest you avoid this at all costs!!

Because a cruise is such a great time to meet new people and see new things, I'd suggest you "save" getting drunk until you get back home. You really don't want to miss the fun ! I'm thinking you'd also like to remember your cruise .

Have a good time, whatever you decide,
Thanks for the actual response and not just preaching as many people tend to do And thats basically what I assumed, just wanted someone to validate my thoughts. I figure if i do at all *on* the ship that ill stick to my cabin to be safe. Not planning on spending the whole week drinking but you know when its actual legal for a change you just have to give it a go for a bit :-D Once again thanks!
Old April 17th, 2012, 12:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

You certainly won't be the first underage drinker to come back to the ship loaded. They see hundreds of those each week, and no will deny you boarding.

But.. what you definately don't want to do is be one the folks arriving at the ship loaded, and find it's no longer at the pier. That also happens alot.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 19th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Familiar Face

you will be fine as long as you dont cause a problem. no they will not kick you offf ship

Carnival Miracle 03/20/04
carnival Holiday 12/02/04
Carnival Miracle 09/04/05
Carnival Fantasy 07/08/06
Carnival Liberty 11/25/06
Carnival Liberty 09/09/07
Carnival Sensation 02/14/08
Carnival Ecstasy 12/05/11

Nothing like cruising with the one you love.
Old April 19th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
You certainly won't be the first underage drinker to come back to the ship loaded. They see hundreds of those each week, and no will deny you boarding.

But.. what you definately don't want to do is be one the folks arriving at the ship loaded, and find it's no longer at the pier. That also happens alot.

So true....enjoy, but be smart about it!!

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014
Old October 1st, 2012, 01:28 AM
Welcome Newcomer

The trend of parents hosting drinking parties for their teens has grown so popular, that doctors in Sacramento are seeing more teen patients suffering from the effects of alcohol than ever before. In an effort curb the trend, UC Davis is offering new alcohol programs and counseling for families of teens while in the ER, to educate them on the serious risks and effects of teen drinking. Kids who drink are more likely to be victims of violent crime and sexual assault. They are more likely to have serious problems in school. They are more likely to be involved in drinking-related traffic crashes. They are also more likely to develop problems with alcohol later in life.
Old October 1st, 2012, 04:42 PM
Admiral

Not going to preach, but some of the information being provided to you is not quite true.

Chances are if you get drunk and don't act like it or make a scene, you will be fine. Unfortunately, not alot of people can pull that off real well, especially those who are younger and not use to the affects of alcohol.

However, you need to be aware of what it says in the Ticket Contract. You can easily find this on any of the cruise line's websites. Contrary to what some people have stated, the cruise line has the right to deny boarding or disembark any passenger who behaves in any manner that is illegal or inappropriate and this includes being intoxicated. Plus, they have the right to search your luggage or your cabin at anytime for any illegal items, which includes alcohol.

Long story short, they can and will deny you boarding or kick you off the ship. So it's always best not to get too carried away as the consequences can be quite severe. And while it's fun to visit bars & have a few drinks in foreign countries, I definitely do not suggest getting drunk because should you get arrested, the nightmare can be enormous, especially in Mexico.

So my personal advice is have fun, enjoy a few drinks, but save getting drunk for home as there are just too many things that can go wrong on a cruise or in a foreign port.

Pete
47 Cruises & Counting! Favorites: Paul Gauguin to Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises in Europe; any of the Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America for 12-nights in the Baltics & Russia; RCCL for 14-night Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America for 14-day Alaska cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days in Hawaii including a 7-night NCL cruise; Oceania for 25 days in Asia; & 3 months touring Europe by train. And many days spent in all-inclusive resorts!
Old October 1st, 2012, 05:46 PM
Captain

I am unfamiliar with Carnival's rules but I know on NCL if you are sailing with your parents they can fill out a "Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver Form." This would allow you to drink on-board.

I saw many under 21 folks drinking on my last cruise and they were fine. I did talk to a few in the mornings that had slight hangovers, however I thought the young folks handled themselves well and were fun to be around.
Old October 1st, 2012, 06:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

I went on one cruise during spring break and have seen young folks so intoxicated they had to be brought back aboard the ship in a wheelchair. No one left them on the dock. To be fair I have seen more older folks totally blitzed than younger folks and acting totally obsene. It is like they get on the ship, or at local stops, and eat and drink like they have never done it before. The sand and saltwater will do that to you. That's also why every ship carries a dozen or so coffins. I personally love my booze and drink more on a cruise then I ever do at home.
Have fun, drink, be merry. It's a vacation. Just stay way away from the Ganja Mon'.
Old October 13th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Familiar Face

Default drunk

did not ketch if u were alone or with parents, anyway.
i was on one cruise that a aunt and uncle and the under-age boy they were buying for were all put in lock down in there room, came out only to go eat at meal time with a guard.

why would you want to miss things that go on and happen on a cruise ?
Old October 21st, 2012, 07:02 PM
First Mate

I've seen a good bit of 18-20 "drunks" onboard. I've never seen one put off. IF you "behave" yourself, have a couple and be cool, no problem. Every stop where 18 is the drinking age (actually in many places 18 is just a number... if you can see over the bar, you'll get served) the ships see a steady stream of toasted cruisers.

As an aside I would suggest trying it out but not so much you have to be put in a wheel barrel (I've seen that) to get you to the ship. Have a safe and wonderful trip.

BTW in my opinion if you are old enough to vote and die for your country(18) you are old enough to make up your mind about booze. To be an adult in every sense except that is dumb...
Old November 1st, 2012, 11:49 PM
Familiar Face

Whatever you do, be careful. Think about it this way. You're 18, which makes you a relatively inexperienced drinker, you're drunk, you're in a foreign country, and you can be identified as a tourist from a mile away. In short, you are about as vulnerable as they come, and while the areas you'll be visiting are relatively safe, there certainly are people who are looking for someone just like you to victimize.

Another danger is missing the ship. It isn't just embarrassing; it's also expensive, since you'll have to arrange transportation to either the next port the ship is heading to or back to your embarkation port so you can retrieve your belongings before heading home. And if you happen to get into some kind of altercation while you're drunk, and the police arrest you, your cruise is effectively over.

And, as someone else said, don't even think about buying drugs. The penalties are draconian--they'll put you under the jail. If you even feel the slightest bit tempted, or if you think someone you're with is going to try, don't even get off the ship.