Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Passenger

Default Food and drink at ports of call

We are going on Carnival Conquest on July 8, 2007. Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel are the destinations. Is there any dietary precautions we should take specifically at those locations? Mexico has such a bad reputation for their water, etc, we just want to know how careful we should be. We are first time cruisers with 18 & 20 year old daughters going too.
Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Admiral

Some people are very adventurous and try the food at the ports without any ill effects but we never eat anything off the ship and only drink bottled beverages. I personally do not want to take a chance on getting sick and ruining the rest of my vacation. I would suggest if you would like to eat regional foods, try to stay away from street vendors and stick to restaurants that have a fairly good reputation, Senor Frogs, Carlos and Charlies, Margaritaville.
Old June 13th, 2007, 05:21 PM
First Mate

Default what to eat

Just remember it may lookgood, and refreshing,but outside the country, food/clenliness are different.The locals can eat the local food, and drink the local beverages, but the have the stomach for it. We dont and it can ruin you cruise and some may come back on you months later on.This includes ICE. So be careful. i had the revenge before, not nice.
Bob (public health 35yrs)
Old June 13th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Admiral

Bob, I wholeheartedly agree with you. I'm surprised there are no posters arguing their point of view about eating and drinking in foreign ports because there are lots of them that aggressively seek out eating establishments and drink lots of margaritas, etc., where local water is used to mix their drinks and local ice used. At one establishment in Mexico, they had a sign outside that stated they used purified water to make ice. No thanks, not worth it. I have purchased bottled water at some ports but always check the label to see where it was bottled.
Old June 13th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Passenger

Stick to straight shots of tequila and you should be fine
Old June 14th, 2007, 06:39 AM
First Mate

I have never had a problem eating or drinking on any of those islands. We always stop in Cozumel and get drinks and appetizers to enjoy and also to people watch.

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Old June 14th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Passenger

I eat local foods, jerk chicken in Jamaica and conch fritters in Caymans, faijitas in cozumel. Caymans is richer place than most places in the world and cleaniness is not something to worry about, you have money if you can afford to live in the caymans, be care about anywhere you eat even here in the states, I have been sick from Taco Bell!!!! I try and avoid chain restaurants when abroad I can do them here!!! and I like to be adventurous thats why we have imodium!! and pepto!!!
Old June 14th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Yeoman

Are the issues only in Mexico? We are going to San Juan, St Thomas and St Maarten and don't want to be caught unaware. Carla
Old June 14th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Passenger

Don't worry at all in Grand Cayman.

In Mexico, drink soda from cans and only bottled water. Why chance it? In any case, that's the advice our CD gave on the Liberty when we docked in Costa Maya.
Old June 14th, 2007, 06:31 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by adias.angel
Are the issues only in Mexico? We are going to San Juan, St Thomas and St Maarten and don't want to be caught unaware. Carla
No problem in any of those islands. The last time I was in St. Maarten, we were in Marigot and got hungry. We asked a local where to go and she walked us over to a Brasserie hidden behind some bushes. It was a small outdoor cafe that served the most wonderful single service quiche. It was a local hangout and very inexpensive. The cats, chickens and dogs were wandering through looking for handouts so we fed them while we ate.

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Old June 16th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

So if you dont eat onland what do you do when it is Lunch time, go back to the boat? We will be in port one day for 8 hours and the other day for 10 hours so we will have to eat for sure. I have heard that since this is my first trip I dont want to MISS out on there local food, if I go back on the boat say I will be missing out on there types of foods. I would like to try them and think I will but I was curious what the rest of you did for food if you dont eat there food? I noticed alot of the excursions give lunch as well, do you pass that up to?

Thanks,

Danielle
Old June 16th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Food and drink at ports of call

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRY4OU
We are going on Carnival Conquest on July 8, 2007. Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel are the destinations. Is there any dietary precautions we should take specifically at those locations? Mexico has such a bad reputation for their water, etc, we just want to know how careful we should be. We are first time cruisers with 18 & 20 year old daughters going too.
As long as you stick with the major restraurants (Carlos & Charlie's, Margaritaville, Senor Frog's, Pancho's Backyard,etc.), or buy sealed water or soda cans, you'll be fine. Anything offered on excursions should be fine, too.

The last thing the people who own these places want is for someone to get sick from the water! They all use filtered water.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014