Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:01 AM
cruisinfan

Default If I take a bottle of wine onboard...

will I be able to take it to the dinner table? Are you suppossed to ask your cabin steward to arrange it or do you take it to the d.r. in advance?
Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Default Re: If I take a bottle of wine onboard...

Take it to the Dining room the day before you want it served and they will have it all chilled and ready for you consumption on that night. Remember that there is a corkage fee.
Jim

Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:46 AM
sscruz

I brought several bottles of wine and never was asked any questions.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:26 PM
cruisinfan

I am not a big wine drinker so I have only had a few different kinds and I have no idea what wines are suppossed to go with which foods. I really like Pinot Grigio Chardonnay so if this is not available can anyone recommend another brand that is similar? Also, is this something that will go well with dinner? I don't want the wine cops to come get me for violating wine ethics. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I just don't know a thing about wine. I usually prefer mixed drinks. THANKS
Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:54 PM
cruisinfan

familycruiser,
Thank you so much for the info. I'll try some of your suggestions. You must really know your wines. I had no idea that these were grapes and not brands. I had glass of wine not to long ago at a party that I liked and when I asked what it was I was told Pinot Grigio Chardonnay so who knows what I was really drinking.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: If I take a bottle of wine onboard...

There will typically be a wine recommendation for the day's menu items. As a rule, if you are unsure, stick with the chef's suggestions.

You can also ask the sommelier - they are usually very happy to help you make a selection in the price range that you indicate. If you prefer not to buy a full bottle, go with wine by the glass. It costs more overall, but if you only having one glass, it makes sense.

Also, I always offer my tablemates a glass when I buy a bottle. In most cases, over the course of the week, it evens out, and everyone has shared their wines as well.

I usually also preorder champagne for my table on formal nights - it is always a nice surprise when people arrive at dinner and find the champagne glasses and we all enjoy a glass or two before dinner.

Don't be intimidated, have what you enjoy. And don't worry to much about the dining room "police". They will be too busy going after the people who aren't dressed properly for dinner .
Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:43 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to ickletarakins

For all of those who said they brought numerous bottles of wine on board the ship...how did you do that? When I called Carnival to ask them about the wine policy, they said it was limited to one bottle per stateroom...

-Carnival Valor Western Caribbean Cruise, June 2005
-Sapphire Princess Voyage of the Glaciers Alaska Cruise, May 2008

Old May 4th, 2005, 08:02 AM
cruisinfan

I think on their website it says you can bring a "small quantity" of wine if I'm not mistaken. I'll have to go back and read it. I'm only going to bring on 1 or 2 bottles, I also want to bring on some bottled water and coke.
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Captain

Most ships have a wine tasting seminar for a small fee one afternoon. If you're new to wine why not go and be sure to bring a pen and paper so you can jot down the name of the ones you like.
MagnoliaBlossom
Old May 4th, 2005, 01:06 PM
TDCRose

Default Re: Re: If I take a bottle of wine onboard...

There are a couple of wines available in my area which are a 60/40 blend of Pinot Grigio /Chardonnay. I really like this blend. Unfortunately, the bottles I received were gifts and I didn't write the names of them down-can't remember what the brands were, but it was a great wine!
Old May 4th, 2005, 02:41 PM
sls

I had the wine in my carry on bag. It went through the scanner and no one said anything. Brought 2 bottles like this on my last 4 Carnival cruises.

sls
Old May 5th, 2005, 01:19 PM
PLR7496

I just brought it to the dining room and gave to the head waiter. They didn't charge me a corkage fee.

Hope this helps!!