Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 3rd, 2002, 10:33 AM
Yeoman

Default Destiny first time cruisers need info!

Hi...first time cruiser...(usually go to Sandals resorts for vacation). Hoping to have as much fun on the Carnival Destiny for Jan 5,2003 sailing! I booked with Carnival but then turned everything over to Travel Agent to handle. Where can I check every few days to see if price goes down and if it does....will I get a refund? Do you suggest going a day early in Jan from the "snowy" midwest? If so, what hotel in SanJuan to use for a reasonable rate...nothing fancy. Will I still get the transfer to the ship if I go a day early? Any other information you think I need....please advise...as we are "new cruisers". One more thing....is this a rainy season (Jan) for the southern islands? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2002, 01:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Destiny first time cruisers need info!

Hi Cathy,
Anytime you can take the time and go in a day early, is always a good idea. WE're also doing a southern cruise in Feb., but have early flight out, and also from the midwest, but I think we'll be OK. For us it just wasn't worth it to fly in late on Fri and get a hotel then, would of rather been able to get out earlier that day if I could get away. Personally, I'd just grab a cab to a hotel, we've stayed at the Wyndham in Old San Juan, its right across the street from the pier, but you will find most hotels in SJ are expensive, but do check on that one.

It sould be nice and warm even in Jan, the temps in the caribbean don't vary all that much and hopefully not much rain. It will sure beat a midwest winter by far. You may also want to think about getting travel insurance, its always a good idea.

Any more questions, just post them and someone will be able to help you!

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 3rd, 2002, 03:14 PM
Happy Camper

Going a day early is always a good idea! Saves you from worry on what could go wrong with your flight and you are much more relaxed getting on the ship. You will love the Destiny! On deck 8 I believe or it could be deck 7 at the very front of the hallway there is all cabins but if you look to your right you will see a door that goes out on the very front of the ship. Not many people find it and it is a great spot! The way they have the railing it blocks the wind too. Also outside the centrum they have deck chairs with padding that is quieter than the pool areas if you are so inclined. This is a great ship - we did a lot of exploring on her. I've heard many people just taking cabs in San Juan - I actually flew cruise air there because it is so high from Texas to fly there. Actually post the question as "taxis in San Juan" and you may get more responses. You'll have a great time! Also the ship is Huge! If you can please get a central cabin or you will be walking a whole whole lot! We like to go back and forth to the cabin from the pool and it took forever on this ship with a back cabin. Debbie
Old October 3rd, 2002, 09:21 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Destiny first time cruisers need info!

Thanks for the info! Still not sure about going in a day ahead....don't really want to spend the extra money...depends if we can get early flight. We are soooo excited! If you think of anything else please email me or reply here..... Cathy
Old October 7th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Passenger

Hello there!

Being a travel agent I can tell you what I do. I check once a week for cruise fares to go down. SOmetimes there are 1 hour specials, state specials and airfare specials. your travel agent shoudl check for you so you dont have too. I would recommend flying in a day before/ It is a long flight and with storms in the winter, flights can be cancelled or delayed. you never know what can happen. If you do get a pre cruise hotel they will take you to the hotel, port and then back to the airport. I have not been on this ship yet i have heard it is beautiful. Have fun!

bethany
if you have any other questions that I can help with you can email me or post!
Old October 12th, 2002, 05:08 PM
Passenger

I have to say that we were on the Destiny in March and had the time of our lives. We used to do all-inclusives, too, for years and hesitated on a cruise. We are not doing land-based vacations hardly anymore. It is great!

On San Juan, we thought it was a rather dirty and kind of scary at times... Make sure if you go a day early that you get an ocean front hotel that has a high rating and I think you would be fine...

Have fun!