Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2004, 12:53 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to jon
Default epilepsy

Hi
i was offerd a chance to work on a cruise ship with steiner but because i have epilepsy i need to be without a fit for 5 years without any medication. My problem is ive gone just over a year without having a fit but i still need to take medication. I was hopeing to become a fitness trainer on cruise ships. I was wondering if you could offer me any advice on where i should go from here as i still want to become a fitness trainer on cruise ships but this has been a big set back.
I dont know if theres any way i will be giving the opportunity to work as a fitness trainer on a cruise ship because of my disability but any advice will be greatully recieved
thanks
john
Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2004, 11:52 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: epilepsy

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since they are saying that you could not have had "an episode" in the last FIVE years , and NOT have been on MEDS then aren't they effectively saying your epilepsy must be "CURED" . It seems like they are basically saying no they will not hireanyone with the disease( condition) period. That would really piss me off if I was you , as far as I'm concerned they have the right to establish that you have " control" over your epilesy, through meds, for a period of time( say one year of no episodes while on meds) since they are at sea and don't want to risk having to evacute a staff member if they really don't have to.BUT, to stipulate FIVE YEARS and NO MEDS is discrimmination pure and simple!!!
I never did like STIENERS, their salons are a rip off and now I see their hiring practices are stuff back in the dark ages!!

Good luck in finding a civilized employer that will treat you with respect and give you the chance to work on a ship!
Old March 20th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to 3FOB5Paradise

I think they should probably be more lax, but you have to admit there are certain liability concerns for the cruise line and safety concerns for the employee.
What if they have a major epileptic fit and may require an evacuation, a very difficult and often time consuming problem, involving helicopters, diverting to another port etc. And if something happens during a fit, resulting in damage or injury to the employee or any pax. around, they would be liable.

Old March 20th, 2004, 01:11 PM
cruisingkandJ

While I sympathize with you having suc h an ailment, I can also see Steiner's view. They want healthy employees, especially those working in fitness. If you realy want that position with a cruise line, just wait out the five years. Another possibility might be to get a fitness job on land, andif your seizure free during, say, 2-1/2-3 years, contact Steiner again. That way, besides a seizure-free time span, you will also have gained gym experience to offer them.

J.
Old March 20th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Yeoman

Hey the point is that they want five years seizure free WITHOUT medication!!! Thats not fair, becuse if it was diabetes they wouldn't say five years without any complications WITHOUT INSULIN!!

They are in effect saying ,thanks but no thanks.Epilesy doesn't just go away. It is controlable with meds( surgery in rare cases ) .
Old March 20th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I agree with pg and Mike on this one.....there is no way a diabetic would be told to "have no elevated blood sugars for five years without insulin or an oral medication." I also feel that if someone is controlled on their anti-seizure medication, then they should have the same consideration as other potential employees. What Steiner is saying is in most likelihood illegal, unless the laws in Britain where they are based say differently.

Old November 2nd, 2012, 06:21 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
Hi
i was offerd a chance to work on a cruise ship with steiner but because i have epilepsy i need to be without a fit for 5 years without any medication. My problem is ive gone just over a year without having a fit but i still need to take medication. I was hopeing to become a fitness trainer on cruise ships. I was wondering if you could offer me any advice on where i should go from here as i still want to become a fitness trainer on cruise ships but this has been a big set back.
I dont know if theres any way i will be giving the opportunity to work as a fitness trainer on a cruise ship because of my disability but any advice will be greatully recieved
thanks
john
Im in the same position, im about to Do massage & was looking forward to working aboard. But the research just totally rocked my boat..Mine has been under control for year's & is extremely mild x1 per yr with lowest medication. I haven't had one for 2yrs & would consider coming off medication. But 5yrs is too long. Im gutted!
DO THEY DOUBLE CHECK FOR THEMSELVES OR YOUR JUST YOUR POSTED MEDICAL FORM?