Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Asia
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 12th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Admiral

Default Hong Kong

Any tips or experience with flying into Hong Kong? Delays, customs?Considering flying from San Antonio to San Francisco to Hong Kong to London to San Antonio to circle the globe. Cheaper by half to circle the globe than to fill up my fuel efficient Accord for a year and also leaves me vacation days to use with my scouts (or get a second job once gas passes $4.00 a gallon).

So many time zones, so little time. 8)
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Admiral

Flying into Hong Kong is easy. Immigration and customs a breeze on each arrival. Limo, taxi, or train are all reasonable routes into either Kowloon or Hong Kong Island. I chose taxi last time as hotel wasn't on airport train line and there were two of us. Previous time we arranged a smal bus as there were four of us and lots of luggage. If on your own, I would recommend train.

When leaving HKG, be careful about carry on luggage. What passes as standard 22" rollaboard in US will not pass muster. I had to go back to check in counter and have agent give me a special tag so I could make it past the check point.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old March 13th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Admiral

Marc:

Thanks for the luggage tip. This would be a fast and light trip to tag Asia from the East rather than from the west (Istanbul) and then on to check out London Gatwick logistics. Generally scan ports and airports in advance of any trip with my kiddo. May also do a boomerang long weekend to Sydney. Tested the waters with my 26 hour day trip to Maui from Texas last summer. 8)

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Flying into Hong Kong is easy. Immigration and customs a breeze on each arrival. Limo, taxi, or train are all reasonable routes into either Kowloon or Hong Kong Island. I chose taxi last time as hotel wasn't on airport train line and there were two of us. Previous time we arranged a smal bus as there were four of us and lots of luggage. If on your own, I would recommend train.

When leaving HKG, be careful about carry on luggage. What passes as standard 22" rollaboard in US will not pass muster. I had to go back to check in counter and have agent give me a special tag so I could make it past the check point.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old March 13th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Admiral

The new Hong Kong airport (VHHH) is really great and there are buses that leave regularly for all the main downtown hotels. When you first arrive you walk through an area that scans you for body temperature. If you have a high fever they won't let you in! It's a quick but strange experience. Hong Kong is a marvel to behold! The Star Ferry to Kowloon is cheap and fun. The skyline is lit up at night like no other place on earth. It is worth it to get off shore on an evening harbor tour and take pics. Ride the tram (actually a fast cable car-train) to the top of Victoria peak for a spectacular view. Ask your concierge about some of the finest Chinese food in the world.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Admiral

Thanks for all tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy
The new Hong Kong airport (VHHH) is really great and there are buses that leave regularly for all the main downtown hotels. When you first arrive you walk through an area that scans you for body temperature. If you have a high fever they won't let you in! It's a quick but strange experience. Hong Kong is a marvel to behold! The Star Ferry to Kowloon is cheap and fun. The skyline is lit up at night like no other place on earth. It is worth it to get off shore on an evening harbor tour and take pics. Ride the tram (actually a fast cable car-train) to the top of Victoria peak for a spectacular view. Ask your concierge about some of the finest Chinese food in the world.
Old September 28th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hong Kong is a beautiful country of the world and has many tourist attraction one is "Nature shock" it is a biggest surprises about Hong Kong is that pristine nature exists just minutes away from the most crowded parts of the city.