Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > American Queen Steamboat Company
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 8th, 2009, 06:37 PM
First Mate

Default Delta Queen's New Home

I know not many will look at the Delta Queen section, however there is a new site showing the old boat's new home in Chattanooga as a hotel downtown.
Old December 7th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Admiral

Is it docked on the river? I would not mind staying in it. I have stayed in the train cars/ hotel rooms at Chattanooga choo-choo so why not?

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014
Old January 4th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to Diane Giambalvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg View Post
Is it docked on the river? I would not mind staying in it. I have stayed in the train cars/ hotel rooms at Chattanooga choo-choo so why not?
It is docked in the River in Chattanooga. I was there right after Thanksgiving. I have pictures of her on my Facebook page, but don't know how to get it here. They did a renovation of all the Cabins. They are trying to get it to sail again. Its docked in a nice area of town, across the river from the Aquarium. There is a bus that goes to the other side.
Diane/ Nashville, TN
Old February 22nd, 2010, 11:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giambalvo View Post
It is docked in the River in Chattanooga. I was there right after Thanksgiving. I have pictures of her on my Facebook page, but don't know how to get it here. They did a renovation of all the Cabins. They are trying to get it to sail again. Its docked in a nice area of town, across the river from the Aquarium. There is a bus that goes to the other side.
Diane/ Nashville, TN

I googled her and found I could book a room on her for about $150 a night.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old March 7th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Familiar Face

Well, $150 is a decent price. I loved the Delta Queen steamboats and I think what has happened to them is a shame. I hope they get to sail again soon. Does anyone know where the American Queen is now?

Seabourn 1995 - Carnival Elation 1996 - Sea Princess 1998 - Crystal Harmony 1998 - Grand Princess 1998 - Holland America Ryndam 1999 - Renaissance 2000 Oceania 2002 - Carnival Conquest 2004 - Pride of America 2005 - Emerald Princess 2006 - Crsytal Serenity June 2008
Old March 7th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzenjammer View Post
Well, $150 is a decent price. I loved the Delta Queen steamboats and I think what has happened to them is a shame. I hope they get to sail again soon. Does anyone know where the American Queen is now?
I had always intended to take a river crusie-never did. Yes, if we decided to take a 3 day weekend to Chattanooga, I would book her.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old April 13th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Passenger

I have heard alot of bad things from people I know who live here in chattanooga about the new "hotel." No air cond. horrible food bad service etc.
Old April 14th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Familiar Face

American Queen is the best ship from the original fleet.

It is really a shame - what happened to this cruise line. How I wish they had been able to make a go of it.

In the long run, from what I hear, it was the unions that did the line in - making it too expernsive for the line to operate in American waters by demanding higher wages, etc.

Seabourn 1995 - Carnival Elation 1996 - Sea Princess 1998 - Crystal Harmony 1998 - Grand Princess 1998 - Holland America Ryndam 1999 - Renaissance 2000 Oceania 2002 - Carnival Conquest 2004 - Pride of America 2005 - Emerald Princess 2006 - Crsytal Serenity June 2008
Old May 10th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Beginner

It was a change in the law that docked it. There is some loophole that they used to be able to get by on, but now the loophole is closed. They are trying to get Congress to change it so that they can sail again.
We stayed last 4th of July. There IS airconditioning and the breakfast was delicious. This is a very old boat, and the cabins are small. The bathrooms are miniscule. However, we LOVED the history! We had a great time, and would do it again.
Old September 5th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Captain

She was always grandfathered so to speak, because of being mostly wood, the newer fire laws being the problem.

However, wages were an issue, too, having to charge higher prices to meet the labor laws.

I regret I never did a river cruise, booked and cancelled, just couldn't make it.
Old September 9th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Beginner

I used to work on the AQ i was there when they shut down..I really miss that boat and the crew also had really fun people board every week...The boat did have union but when they last owners took over they messed everything up and lost the union so they were not there to protect the DQ anymore also they went bankrupt and no it was not because of the cost of wage we did not get paid very much we made a living on tips "Witch was really good" it was poor management with the money they could not even afford to pay the internet bill but when it shut down they said that the AQ was going to sail again once they found a new owner and they would call the crew back but i have not got any phone calls or emails yet ....would love to go back tho it was one of the bvest times of my life
Old September 10th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

cbrown...

I also like the American Queen.

The old owners were the Ueberoth family (of Olympics fame) who had plenty of money but not enough smarts, it seems.

I also certainly hope these boats come back someday, they are great and the only US river boats out there.
Old September 12th, 2010, 03:07 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

I have been on the Delta Queen; and also my inlaws have sailed her twice; such a nice peaceful way to travel down the Ohio River. Maybe someday I will get to Tenn and see her
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old September 15th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Familiar Face

Location: Southern IN in the middle of a farmer's former cornfield

We never cruised on the Delta Queen, however we saw the ship docked in our city a few times over the years. Our intentions was to book a cruise on her but congress threw a monkey wrench into our plans!
The next time we our in Chattanooga we will pay her a visit.

Fast dancing is the second best form of exercise,
slow dancing leads to the first!
Old October 22nd, 2010, 03:07 PM
Beginner

Default Retired and scrapped

American Queen is sitting in a fleet in Beaumont Texas. It is for sale but they have no offers. It's falling apart. I saw it about a month ago and it looks terrible.

Mississippi Queen was sold and scrapped. it no longer exists.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 12:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasm4u View Post
I have heard alot of bad things from people I know who live here in chattanooga about the new "hotel." No air cond. horrible food bad service etc.
Food was very good if you like Lousiana style cooking. Chef Joyce is still onboard. As far as air, they have air in some rooms-but electricity has to be powered up. This is an old ship from 1926-so her parts are from then. Since they still work and are historical, I don't think they want to mess with that by upgrading her system. Air conditioning was window units. We were on her this wkend. Our room was a bit warm-no thermostat for heat-but all the history and antiques, it was worth putting up with that. I imagine she would be lovely in spring or fall. However, I would avoid her in summer.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old January 3rd, 2012, 12:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertyme View Post
American Queen is sitting in a fleet in Beaumont Texas. It is for sale but they have no offers. It's falling apart. I saw it about a month ago and it looks terrible.

Mississippi Queen was sold and scrapped. it no longer exists.
Fortunately, now over a year later since your post, she has sold and will cruise again some time this year!

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old November 13th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Delta Queen is under the control of Xanterra - the same company that sails Windstar and just bought the smaller "yachts of Seabourn".

Delta Queen also had her rights to carry overnight passengers on river cruises reinstated by the House of Representatives (the senate has not acted yet), but the DQ could be back soon.
Old November 20th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Delta Queen is under the control of Xanterra - the same company that sails Windstar and just bought the smaller "yachts of Seabourn".

Delta Queen also had her rights to carry overnight passengers on river cruises reinstated by the House of Representatives (the senate has not acted yet), but the DQ could be back soon.
I saw that and it passed right before the government shutdown if I remember correctly. Hopefully the senate will pass it soon. I guess if I want to stay in the hotel again I need to do it soon.

I was told a good many native Chattnooganians liked their NY galas so I know they will miss that "perk" when she leaves. she also made a nice destination wedding.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old August 12th, 2014, 01:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Right now Delta Queen supporters are being urged to contact Jay Rockefeller (head of the Senate Commerce committee) to allow a bill out of committee to sell the Delta Queen to a new buyer who wants to put it in service again.

Contact Jay Rockefeller, Sen. West Virginia.