Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 16th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Port of Houston Announces New Cruises

Port of Houston Announces New Cruises

by Paul Motter

In one day two different cruise lines announce new cruises out of Houston's Bayport Cruise Terminal

Bayport is less than half the distance from Downtown and Hobby Intl. Airport

We all we are living in a tough economy, but one state that has managed to avoid many of the economic hits that are giving other states like California a bloody nose is Texas. Over the last six years we have seen the number of cruises departing from California drop by 60%. Meanwhile in the same time period, cruises from Texas have grown by a greater number.

But up till now the more popular cruise port was Galveston - the shore side community on the barrier island just off the coast of the city of Houston. But as of yesterday the city of Houston has staked its claim on the cruise business and has persuaded at least two cruise lines to commit to the more centrally located Bayport Cruise Terminal located at the Port of Houston, actually in Pasadena, a suburb of Houston and closer to downtown Houston and Hobby International Airport than the port of Galveston.

Last edited by Mike M; November 16th, 2012 at 04:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I'm glad to see that they are finally getting some use out of the multi-million dollar facility.

It will also be easier for the "fly-in" folks than having the long commute to Galveston.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 16th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Admiral

First sentence needs correcting

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old November 16th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Admiral

What are those ports like? worth a visit? (We've been to Cozumel a few times) Houston is a pretty easy direct flight from Vancouver unlike Florida.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old November 16th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Port of Houston Announces New Cruises

by Paul Motter

In one day two different cruise lines announces new cruises out of Houston's Bayport Cruise Terminal

Bayport is less than half the distance from Downtown and Hobby Intl. Airport

We all we are living in a tough economy, but one state that has managed to avoid many of the economic hits that are giving other states like California a bloody nose is Texas. Over the last six years we have seen the number of cruises departing from California drop by 60%. Meanwhile in the same time period, cruises from Texas have grown by a greater number.

But up till now the more popular cruise port was Galveston - the shore side community on the barrier island just off the coast of the city of Houston. But as of yesterday the city of Houston has staked its claim on the cruise business and has persuaded at least two cruise lines to commit to the more centrally located Bayport Cruise Terminal located at the Port of Houston, actually in Pasadena, a suburb of Houston and closer to downtown Houston and Hobby International Airport than the port of Galveston.

Paul, thanks for this information. However, isn't that statement about Texas and California a political one. Didn't you give me a warning for something similar and told me that type of thing belongs in the Open Debate area?

Just sayin'
Old November 16th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

This is some good news, so far more cruises with NCL and Princess, could there be more cruiselines departing from Tx....I would certainly be up to cruising out of this port, something different.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 16th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Familiar Face

In reality this is nothing new... NCL, Princess, Celebrity have sailed from Houston and Galveston as late as 2005 or 06. The only new line is Disney sailing from Galveston. I really feel it was the arrogance of Houston/Bayport that ran the cruise lines out to begin with. The old adage "Build it and they will come" hasn't really worked all that well as it has stood vacant since 2008.

JMHO.
Old November 16th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdude View Post
Paul, thanks for this information. However, isn't that statement about Texas and California a political one. Didn't you give me a warning for something similar and told me that type of thing belongs in the Open Debate area?

Just sayin'
Marsdude:

No. In regards to cruising it's a fact. The number of West Coast cruises has dropped significantly while the numbers in Texas continue to rise.

San Diego has probably 1/4 the number of cruises leaving there and Los Angeles has only three or four ships running seven day cruises and these are not year round.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me