Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 18th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Cruise Packing Puzzle

It has been officially decided that after the Cruisemates Carnival Breeze Mediterranean Cruise we will be spending an extended time in Europe.

We will be visiting friends and family in Poland, Germany, France and England. We will be gone for almost two months.

The problem we have is the amount of luggage we will have to schlep from place to place. I think I am going to take advantage of Carnival's relaxed dress code and leave the sport jacket/suit at home and pack more clothing that I will wear on our travels rather than what I would normally wear on the cruise ship. I.E. less shorts and t shirts. Or I may wear my sport jacket on the flights and see how things work.

If anyone has some good suggestions for lessening our load I'd like to hear them. I must have my laptop but want to travel with no more than one 28" suitcase and two carry-on bags for the two of us.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Admiral

Mke, a couple of suggestions.

First, bite the bullet and just plan on doing laundry both on the ship and during your travels. Staying with family will make that easier.

Second, a sports coat may also come in handy in Europe; take in on plane with you if you are concerned about packing.

Third, don't take "cruise only" clothes. I have found same clothes worked fine for traveling through Europe as on Med cruises; of course, I don't take the beach excursions in Med.

We have easily been able to travel for a week in a rolling 22" suitcase each. When traveling on trains in Europe, I really don't like to take a larger suitcase. If you want to take a 26" you will always find room to store on train; just harder to handle up and down stairs.

Trip sounds wonderful; have fun!!!

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old September 18th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Admiral

Mike

Hi I would ditch the carry-ons - OK you will have a laptop but I make do with an Ipod touch and leave the laptop at home. A tablet could also be a smaller/lighter alternative.

I think 2 smaller suitcases, on wheels of course, is easier to handle than one heavier case and carry-ons.

Wear a jacket when travelling.

I also agree with Marc, do laundry before you leave the ship and take multi-functional clothes.

Have fun

Annie
Old September 18th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Captain

I agree with Annie. Two smaller cases are much easier that one huge one. We used to have one 28 inch between us but as we got "more mature" it was just to heavy to lift. And even with wheels, sometimes you just gotta lift! We now each have a 24 inch-so much easier.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old September 19th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Admiral

Best not to come, but to send us your tickets instead

One idea which isn't as crazy as it first sounds, it to pack clothes that you can happily lose en-route. If you have Med beach clothes that you do not have to take back home, you can get them cleaned on the ship, then drop off at the first charity shop you see, thereby helping others.
This will then free up space to either buy replacement "nice" or "throw-away" clothes. We have lots of cheap but good clothing stores in Europe, so you could again buy as necessary, then dispose of them as you prepare to return home, which could work out cheaper than getting them laundered ;-)

Alan
Old September 19th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I think the two 22" suitcases are a good idea. I also like the idea of buying some stuff while in Europe to supplement the wardrobe.

I was planning to send out laundry while onboard.

Last night I did the pricing of flying between destinations, rail and car rental and flying won hands down. We can fly from MSP-BCN, BCN-WAW, WAW-LON, LON-MSP for $300 more than we can do a roundtrip from MSP-BCN.

This is on Delta and Lufthansa. I'll have to find out what the baggage restrictions (especially the carry-on) on Lufthansa. I would love to drive (actually have Betty drive) but the cost is over $1,500, with insurance, plus the fuel and lodging costs.

Any additional ideas are greatly appreciated.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old September 19th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandajones View Post
Best not to come, but to send us your tickets instead

One idea which isn't as crazy as it first sounds, it to pack clothes that you can happily lose en-route. If you have Med beach clothes that you do not have to take back home, you can get them cleaned on the ship, then drop off at the first charity shop you see, thereby helping others.
This will then free up space to either buy replacement "nice" or "throw-away" clothes. We have lots of cheap but good clothing stores in Europe, so you could again buy as necessary, then dispose of them as you prepare to return home, which could work out cheaper than getting them laundered ;-)

Alan
I like this - a functional charitable shopping trip.

Remember you will probably require a rain jacket at one point but as Alan says we have reasonably priced clothing stores esp in UK - there are sales virtually year round.

Advantage of the two cases proposition is that you can split your packing between the two cases and if one is mislaid at least one of you is not without any change of clothes.

Annie
Old September 19th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Annie:

I've traveled quite a bit in the U.S. and especially in the U.K.. My mother was from Leicester and I have a myriad of relatives in England. I've seen some reasonable prices in Europe and in the U.K. but not comparable to the U.S.. My aunties would agree. When they visit they bring extra suitcases so they can take advantage of the low prices on clothing here.

This trip is just a bit different in the logistics of doing a cruise and then an extended land portion. Previous trips have been either having a "home base" with relatives or renting a car and traveling around the continent. The car makes things much easier for handling luggage but since I no longer drive my wife isn't as excited about driving on the continent.

Take care,
Mike