CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   After booking your first cruise..... (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/381632-after-booking-your-first-cruise.html)

Kuki April 1st, 2011 12:06 PM

After booking your first cruise.....

After booking your first cruise what were the first things you wanted to know?

What did you learn that made your first cruise better?

GrannyLorr April 1st, 2011 09:38 PM

I must admit that when I booked our first cruise, I was quite worried about that dreaded topic "Dress Code"!!:shock: I had booked a very long cruise (55 days) on Seabourn and had been reading a lot on that "other forum"...... there is a group there that try to make out that anyone on Seabourn has to be dressed to the nines at all times of day and night! I was worried about that aspect, as we are just very "ordinary" people and I thought we would feel very out of place. I didnt realise that the people shown in the brochures and advertising were "models"..... and I certainly wouldnt be getting around the ship dressed like that every day! However we were very happy to find that most other people were also "ordinary" folk....not like the snobs who post such remarks as to turn people away from Seabourn! I really believe that a lot of people have been discouraged from trying Seabourn because of remarks made by some on that "other forum"....:(

AF1 April 1st, 2011 10:35 PM

My first cruise was booked by my brother in law. We were going on a family vacation; some of us lived in Maryland; and the rest lived in Ohio. We were all flying to Miami to sail Majesty of the Seas. I did not have a clue about what to expect; what to wear; and did not know about these chat boards until four years after we sailed our first cruise. If I had known about these boards; I could have asked questions like; what to pack; what to do on sea days; what to expect for onboard activities; etc, etc. These boards have given me better insight and a heads up on what to expect; even on a ship I have not been on. Thank you Cruisemates for being there.

Lakers Fan April 1st, 2011 11:15 PM

My first cruise was 38 years ago.I have limited memory of it .

Kuki April 2nd, 2011 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrannyLorr (Post 1363853)
I must admit that when I booked our first cruise, I was quite worried about that dreaded topic "Dress Code"!!:shock: I had booked a very long cruise (55 days) on Seabourn .

Granny .. booking a 55 day cruise for your first cruise!! Thank god you liked it! rofl

nlb1050 April 2nd, 2011 07:28 PM

I made sure that I knew what the dress code was. Then I researched the ports we were going to.

am588 April 3rd, 2011 02:44 PM

After booking my first cruise, I learned BRING SOME CASH EVERYWHERE (on islands)! I can't even tell you how many beautiful pictures from my excursions I couldn't buy because I didn't bring cash :(

GrannyLorr April 3rd, 2011 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuki (Post 1363896)
Granny .. booking a 55 day cruise for your first cruise!! Thank god you liked it! rofl

so true Kuki.....but then I dont really think there has been anywhere I have travelled that I havent liked......well maybe the cross USA on AMTRAK was pushing it a bit.....still it WAS an "experience" LOL

I never go anywhere thats under about 6 weeks...when you have to travel to and from Oz you make the most of it!

First cruise 55 days....second was 83 days...third ONLY 28 days :( fourth will be 88 days (plus pre and post stays)